Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by kayanco
Hi all,

Can someone can recommend a US debit card that has:
No international ATM fee.
No international transaction fee.
Reimburses surcharge fees of other institutions.

I know some banks don't charge a fee for other bank ATMs but the other bank does. So I was hoping if there was a way to avoid fees from both sides, and also avoid FTF?

Thanks.
If you're in the DC/Northern Virginia Area, check out First Virginia Community Bank's "Free Personal Checking." Have used their debit card in both Canada & Europe. No ATM fees (from either side), no Foreign Transaction Fees. With no minimum balance requirement, I wait 'til a few days before I travel, do a mobile deposit, then use their debit/ATM card exclusively on my trip.

Con: Locations only in Northern Virginia (6 branches) and their customer service is basically 9-5, M-F.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Charles Schwab has no ATM fees worldwide, no debit card usage fees, no international transaction or foreign exchange fees, no monthly account fees. There isn't any minimum account balance required.

Reimbursement of any ATM fees (from any ATM worldwide) charged by other banks occurs at the close of each monthly statement cycle.
kayanco and samquinn like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Charles Schwab has no ATM fees worldwide, no debit card usage fees, no international transaction or foreign exchange fees, no monthly account fees. There isn't any minimum account balance required.

Reimbursement of any ATM fees (from any ATM worldwide) charged by other banks occurs at the close of each monthly statement cycle.
What's the catch? This might work well for me to have a backup ATM card as I will be in Asia for 2 months this winter.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by gm9928
If you're in the DC/Northern Virginia Area, check out First Virginia Community Bank's "Free Personal Checking." Have used their debit card in both Canada & Europe. No ATM fees (from either side), no Foreign Transaction Fees. With no minimum balance requirement, I wait 'til a few days before I travel, do a mobile deposit, then use their debit/ATM card exclusively on my trip.

Con: Locations only in Northern Virginia (6 branches) and their customer service is basically 9-5, M-F.

Yup. Tried that.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:50 pm

I can share some research I did, for others who might be interested.

Both Charles Schwab and TD Bank look to be the only banks that offer the fee features from my OP.

Follow up question for those who use the Charles Schwab or TD Bank debit card, due to no international fees, is that the same as having a debit card from a local bank?

Since you can withdraw local currency using these cards (with no additional fees), I'm thinking that would be the same as having a local debit card in that country?

Thoughts?

Last edited by EmailKid; Nov 2, 2017 at 4:31 pm Reason: Back to back posts on same subject
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Follow up question for those who use the Charles Schwab or TD Bank debit card, due to no international fees, is that the same as having a debit card from a local bank?

Since you can withdraw local currency using these cards (with no additional fees), I'm thinking that would be the same as having a local debit card in that country?

Thoughts?
Not quite. Some countries use Maestro/V PAY instead of Visa/MC for their debit cards, so those two could still have acceptance problems.
kayanco likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw
Not quite. Some countries use Maestro/V PAY instead of Visa/MC for their debit cards, so those two could still have acceptance problems.
Yes, you can run into this issue in particular with unattended payments like parking meters or vending machines.

Also, I do wonder if the bank may have an issue if you have a much higher ratio of international vs domestic use when they are picking up the tab.
kayanco likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:46 pm

That's a good point.

I was thinking more in terms of cash withdrawals from ATMs (for local cash purchases), and also regular purchases at stores/restaurants where Visa/MC would be accepted. In those two cases, would it be the same as a local bank cards?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if besides the no-fee (e.g no FTF, no ATM fee), is there any other catch in using a US debit cards overseas?

So far it sounds like, barring any acceptance issue, using a Schwab or TD debit card would be no different than a local bank card. In terms of not costing you any extra (just because you are using a US debit card).

Agree? Disagree?

Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
That's a good point.

I was thinking more in terms of cash withdrawals from ATMs (for local cash purchases), and also regular purchases at stores/restaurants where Visa/MC would be accepted. In those two cases, would it be the same as a local bank cards?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if besides the no-fee (e.g no FTF, no ATM fee), is there any other catch in using a US debit cards overseas?

So far it sounds like, barring any acceptance issue, using a Schwab or TD debit card would be no different than a local bank card. In terms of not costing you any extra (just because you are using a US debit card).

Agree? Disagree?

Thanks.
I suppose so.

FYI I typically use my debit card only for ATM withdrawals when traveling but use a no foreign transaction fee credit card for purchases. Mainly for the extra benefits/points but also if your debit card info gets stolen/copied at a restaurant or something it's a generally more hassle to resolve it - and you may then be locked out from withdrawing cash if needed.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by eyeballer
I suppose so.

FYI I typically use my debit card only for ATM withdrawals when traveling but use a no foreign transaction fee credit card for purchases. Mainly for the extra benefits/points but also if your debit card info gets stolen/copied at a restaurant or something it's a generally more hassle to resolve it - and you may then be locked out from withdrawing cash if needed.
That's an excellent point to keep in mind. Good that you mentioned this. ^
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:51 pm

Some follow ups:

1. I looked at the Google document linked to the thread (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nc&usp=sharing)

It has something confusing about Charles Schwab, Column C (Point of Sale (vs ATM) Fee) is blank. And notes say:

"Reimburses: ONLY cash withdrawal fees." I also read elsewhere, "refunds fees for ATM cash withdrawals only. Other fees associated with the use of the debit card are not refunded (e.g., balance inquiry, POS transactions, etc.)."

What does this even mean? What fee would be charged at international POS? (their website doesn't list any). I called their customer support, and they confirmed that they won't charge any special POS fee internationally.

Then I checked with their chat support about int. POS:

CS: "Schwab does not charge a fee for those types of transactions.
But, the vendor may charge a fee, so you will want to check with them.
If they do charge a fee, that fee would not be reimbursed by Schwab."

Me: "Vendor would charge a fee for what?"

CS: "For processing an international point of sale transaction."

Me: "I thought if the vendor accepts VIsa, it would process like any other Visa card, whether local or international."

CS: "If dealing with foreign currency conversion, it is possible that a fee be charged."

Can anyone comment on this please?
Do we have any confirmation whether there is any additional fee at foreign POS (compared to domestic)?
Do vendors like restaurants, shops, charge an additional fee for foreign debit cards?

2. For TD bank, Column C (POS) has NO. Is it really the case the Schwab would charge a POS fee but not TD?

And column G (Reimburse international ATM fees?) says No. I thought TD premier (min balance $2500) did reimburse international ATM? Can someone confirm or deny this please?

3. Do either charge the 1% VISA fee? I see it called by different names ... exchange fee, etc.

Thanks all.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by uds0
That's one more much appreciated verification of a true NO FEE card. Now we just need someone to report on a balance inquiry or other fee beyond ATM non-cash-withdrawal fee (which some Schwab reps say will not be reimbursed).

I'll be using that card in various places between Istanbul and Amsterdam next month and will report the results in short order.
Was there ever an update on this?

i.e. Schwab not reimbursing non-withdrawl related fees like balance inquiry, POS?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Was there ever an update on this?

i.e. Schwab not reimbursing non-withdrawl related fees like balance inquiry, POS?
I remember trying a while ago and I don't think I was reimbursed. I haven't tried again since.

What does this even mean? What fee would be charged at international POS? (their website doesn't list any)
They're referring to places that charge extra for using cards. I wouldn't expect any card to cover those.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:55 am

I remember trying a while ago and I don't think I was reimbursed. I haven't tried again since.
Thanks. Do you remember what kind of a fee was it and how much? What's this fee called? Would a credit card be charged the same fee?

I haven't used a debit card overseas before (at POV), but I don't remember being charged any special fee for using a foreign credit card.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Thanks. Do you remember what kind of a fee was it and how much? What's this fee called? Would a credit card be charged the same fee?

I haven't used a debit card overseas before (at POV), but I don't remember being charged any special fee for using a foreign credit card.
There are some stores outside of the US which charge more if you use a credit card -- even one from their own country. They have to pay fees and they pass them on to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.