Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior
With BofA it's 90 days. I'd certainly not try and push less than that with Barclays. Most of the churners here have done it at least 6 months apart.

I have a Bank of America Alaska Airlines card opened in July 2011. Can I churn without closing the card? I have very little spend on it since I opened it (about $100)
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:43 am

My sister got approved for the Platinum version. Bonus is 40k after first spent. I asked about the Bonus Anniversary Miles (10k for paying the annual fee) and they said they don't see that at all.
I got the World Elite version, and was able to confirm the Bonus Anniversary Miles.

Anyone else ran into the same problem with the Platinum version?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
My sister got approved for the Platinum version. Bonus is 40k after first spent. I asked about the Bonus Anniversary Miles (10k for paying the annual fee) and they said they don't see that at all.
I got the World Elite version, and was able to confirm the Bonus Anniversary Miles.

Anyone else ran into the same problem with the Platinum version?
You can see the award details right online.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:03 am

Where is that?
https://www.barclaycardus.com
Rewards -> Program Overview?

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Where is that?
https://www.barclaycardus.com
Rewards -> Program Overview?

Thanks
I'm sorry, I thought it showed on the rewards overview tab, but it does not. Without the 10,000 miles I simply won't pay my annual fee and cancel the card.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:21 pm

Used the same link to get two cards for myself and my spouse. The first card for each of us listed this under >Rewards > Program overview:
First Use, 40k miles Welcome Bonus
and we each received those points without paying an annual fee when the first statement cut.

The second card listed the same 40K bonus for myself but for my spouse it says:
30,000 miles for first use after annual fee paid Welcome Bonus
and she got charged the annual fee on the first statement, and no bonus yet.
We also both got the business cards and received those points after the first purchase and the statement cut.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by thehonestaviator
Used the same link to get two cards for myself and my spouse. The first card for each of us listed this under >Rewards > Program overview:
First Use, 40k miles Welcome Bonus
and we each received those points without paying an annual fee when the first statement cut.

The second card listed the same 40K bonus for myself but for my spouse it says:
30,000 miles for first use after annual fee paid Welcome Bonus
and she got charged the annual fee on the first statement, and no bonus yet.
We also both got the business cards and received those points after the first purchase and the statement cut.
I meant after the first year, do you get 10k miles for paying the annual fee? Are the card World Elite Mastercard or just Platinum Mastercard?
How far apart were your two applications?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by metoo
I have a Bank of America Alaska Airlines card opened in July 2011. Can I churn without closing the card? I have very little spend on it since I opened it (about $100)
Yes. Same with Barclays.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Got card, used once, received 40k. What is the best way to churn it? Hold it (for how long) & apply for another one (with same USAir # or not/) after how long? Or cancel it (after how long keeping it?) and apply for another one after how long after canceling old card (with same USAir # or not)?

Can someone step up with definite info that worked for him/her.

Thank you.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Got card, used once, received 40k. What is the best way to churn it? Hold it (for how long) & apply for another one (with same USAir # or not/) after how long? Or cancel it (after how long keeping it?) and apply for another one after how long after canceling old card (with same USAir # or not)?

Can someone step up with definite info that worked for him/her.

Thank you.
Yeah, I have a similar question. I currently have the card with the 40K bonus, but my "year" comes up next month. It certainly seems like I should close my current account first, but is there any reason to wait to apply for a new card (and 40K bonus)? Above, somebody seems to have reported success after a 7 month wait, but is there any reason to wait?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:19 am
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Churn in-progress - Approved for my 2nd US Airways Card

I have a churn in-progress and wanted to share my data points:

Aug 11, 2011 - Applied for 1st US Airways card online and approved instantly.

Aug 25, 2011 - Made first purchase with 1st US Airways card.

Sept 15, 2011 - Received 40K Dividend Miles

Jan 31, 2012 - Reapplied online for 2nd US Airways card WITHOUT canceling first card. Not instantly approved -- required additional processing. Called 866-369-1283 to speak with a credit analyst. He reviewed the app and asked a me:

Question: "I see you have opened and closed several accounts over the past couple of years. Why is that?".

Answer: "Uhhh....my wife does not have good credit, so I had to co-sign the cards in my name for her. Also, my work travels change frequently, and I try to align my credit cards with the preferred hotel and airline for a particular work destination".

Question: "I see you already have a US Airways Mastercard open with us. Why do you want a 2nd one?".

Answer: "I need a 2nd card specifically for my reimbursable work expenses. The other card is for personal expenses unrelated to my work".

The Credit Analyst went on to state that I have an excellent history of on-time payments, and approved the application over the phone.

Keeping fingers crossed upon receiving the card and making my first purchase that I will receive the 40K miles. Will update this post as soon as an update is available.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:24 pm

I just applied and apparently got the platinum version with a credit line of $6300 =( I was seriously considering keeping the card if I qualified for the 10K annual anniversary bonus too...

Update: Did a secure message and CSR notified me with 2 messages that I did indeed qualify for the anniversary bonus!

Last edited by jmschn; Feb 11, 2012 at 11:00 am
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:17 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
2nd card approved! No questions asked?

Hey guys, here's my data point.

In November I received the US Airways 40k PLATINUM card with spending limit of only $2,500. It was in the middle of an app party.

I just applied again today and received the PREFERRED card with a spending limit of $7,500.

I had to call in and talk to the rep, but he was confused why I wasn't instantly approved because I have great credit. He didn't mention once that I still held a US Airways Dividend card. I was prepared to answer his questions, but he never said anything.

Now I just need to swipe once and see if I get the 40k. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:34 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Anybody else on the SOL list with Barclays? I had both US Air personal and business cards a few years ago and cancelled them. I remember it was hard to get them cancelled as the CSR was aggressive, and I was equally aggressive. Now my app.’s are not even considered, no credit check. I have called and am told there is nothing I can do, “I have previously had a card and it is a policy issue”.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by ned
Anybody else on the SOL list with Barclays? I had both US Air personal and business cards a few years ago and cancelled them. I remember it was hard to get them cancelled as the CSR was aggressive, and I was equally aggressive. Now my app.’s are not even considered, no credit check. I have called and am told there is nothing I can do, “I have previously had a card and it is a policy issue”.
Obviously there is more to the story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.