Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
how soon the miles show up? after first cycle closing date I assume?
The bonus miles posted on 10/15 but since I have a notation on my DM account that also shows the miles I earned for my first purchase on 10/15, this may have been tied in to the closing date of 10/16. I've made a number of purchases since then that have not yet shown up in my DM account (nor would I have expected them to). The activation date, the first purchase date, the posting date, and the closing date were all so close together that I don't think I would say with certainty that the miles would have posted so quickly if my closing date had been 10/31 instead.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by dcflyergreg
I've tried the search function but haven't found an answer. My wife is still an active holder of the USAirways Visa through Bank of America. Does anyone know whether she would still receive the bonus if she applied and received one of the new MasterCard cards from Barclays? Appreciate any experience on this issue.
Yes, she would get the bonus. I hope you're playing the Grand Slam this year since you have an elusive hit most of us cannot get.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
Yes, she would get the bonus. I hope you're playing the Grand Slam this year since you have an elusive hit most of us cannot get.
Thanks, I think we'll give this a try. We're definitely doing the Grand Slam promo this year.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Can now confirm you can churn this card and even get a 2nd US Air card. I've had my US Air card for about 5 months and a Lufthansa card with $5K limit. Monday I closed the Lufthansa and tonight on phone with Barclays credit card approval hotline ( 866-369-1283 ) I was approved for 2nd US card. Said I needed to keep spending separated. They said no problem.

Has anyone had problems getting a 2nd 40K bonus for a second card?
How did you confirm you can churn this card? On the Terms and Conditions it reads:
" Unless otherwise stated in the offer, these bonuses and /or awards are intended for persons who are not, and have not previously been, US Airways MasterCard Cardmembers. You understand and agree that, unless otherwise stated, if this is your first US Airways MasterCard Account, once you become a Cardmember you are no longer eligible to receive these bonuses and/or awards for any new US Airways MasterCard account you open after this Account is opened. If this is not your first US Airways MasterCard Account, you may not be eligible for these bonuses and/or awards. If you receive a bonus or award for which you are not eligible, Barclays may direct US Airways to revoke the bonus or award, or reduce your mileage credit by the amount of the award, or charge your account for the fair value of the bonus or award, at our option."

Am I missing something obvious?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhazard
How did you confirm you can churn this card? On the Terms and Conditions it reads:
" Unless otherwise stated in the offer, these bonuses and /or awards are intended for persons who are not, and have not previously been, US Airways MasterCard Cardmembers. You understand and agree that, unless otherwise stated, if this is your first US Airways MasterCard Account, once you become a Cardmember you are no longer eligible to receive these bonuses and/or awards for any new US Airways MasterCard account you open after this Account is opened. If this is not your first US Airways MasterCard Account, you may not be eligible for these bonuses and/or awards. If you receive a bonus or award for which you are not eligible, Barclays may direct US Airways to revoke the bonus or award, or reduce your mileage credit by the amount of the award, or charge your account for the fair value of the bonus or award, at our option."

Am I missing something obvious?
Yeah the bolded part.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by keirnna
Yeah the bolded part.
the proof of the pudding is in the eating.... and i got the card, got bonus, closed it, opened another, got bonus again. so the pudding tasted good for me
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
the proof of the pudding is in the eating.... and i got the card, got bonus, closed it, opened another, got bonus again. so the pudding tasted good for me
So that others may partake of said delicious pudding, could you post a rough timeline? Key info would be
  • how long you held the card the first time
  • how long you waited between canceling and re-applying

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
how long you held the card the first time
About 6 months

how long you waited between canceling and re-applying
About another 6 months
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:22 pm

About 6 months
Thanks.

Given that Barclays has been tinkering with the T&C lately -- I think the latest version says they reserve the right to claw back miles for accounts closed too quickly -- I'd think that anyone trying this in the future would want to hold the card a bit a longer (& check their T&C to see if they've changed again).
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP
deleted

Last edited by neildibiase; Oct 23, 2011 at 12:58 pm
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:35 pm

Thanks.

Given that Barclays has been tinkering with the T&C lately -- I think the latest version says they reserve the right to claw back miles for accounts closed too quickly -- I'd think that anyone trying this in the future would want to hold the card a bit a longer (& check their T&C to see if they've changed again).
agreed... i didn't even realise it was churnable i cancelled it because i did not want the card and only got it again to do the grand slam. but now i will try another one 6 months in (so two at a time) and then cancel the first one at the 11 month mark
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Deleted as I was responding to a post that has now been deleted.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:11 pm

Yes I know, I am agreeing with you.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
I opened a 2nd US card while keeping my first and others have said they got a 2nd bonus that way- I'll update when (if) 2nd bonus posts.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:38 am

Companion certificate redeemable some days near Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving week, only Wednesday, Sunday and Monday are excluded from redemption of the annually issued companion certificate that comes with the Barclays US Airways Dividend Miles Premier World MasterCard.

I booked two companion seats leaving earlier that week and returning on Saturday. I am not sure what fees increased the per seat redemption cost from the stated $99 to ~$130, but it was still a big savings.

If you're thinking of doing the same, be warned that the voucher requires a 14 day advance purchase, and a 2-30 night stay.

On one hand, I was a bit disappointed that the voucher was valid only for six months and was issued to me without my asking, so I apparently will never be able to use these annual vouchers for summer travel under the current arrangement. On the other hand, being able to redeem on some days near Thanksgiving more than makes up for that bit of missed expectation in my case.

Last edited by skynerd; Oct 26, 2011 at 9:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.