Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

CDC pre-departure lawsuit cases updates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDC pre-departure lawsuit cases updates?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I could've sworn there were a couple of state AG lawsuits involving the testing requirement. But I must be remembering wrong as I can't find anything. There are/were state suits about the mask mandate. I was hoping state AGs would have a better chance at success than the DIYers in the case above.​ ​​​​​
I just don't think AGs' care enough since there are so few Americans who find traveling abroad important. There just isn't enough of us to move the needle for either party. If I were a politician, I wouldn't even take our calls or reply to our emails, because we just don't matter. There's no benefit in lifting the testing because if a new variant were spread--which it surely will--they'll get blamed for prematurely lifting testing.

It is what it is.
N1120A, 84fiero, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yeah once I saw the leak, I thought action on testing would be buried. Whoever leaked the preliminary and non-binding document should be severely punished.
I understand the point about other events taking up all the oxygen in the room for the administration, but the media is tied up as well. Seems a good time to drop the testing requirement and not receive much attention for doing so. I know, not likely, but a man can dream, can't he?
kirkwoodj and 84fiero like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by venk
Technically, you are not being denied entry into US but prevented from taking that mode of transportation into the US. If you want to swim across the pond, they will let you in.
Indeed.

And the argument the USG will use is implicit in the following paragraph and is nothing new to the pandemic:

A guaranteed right to enter the country of citizenship is not the same as a guaranteed entitlement to fly by common carrier means so as to exercise that right to enter the country of citizenship. I am both amused and disappointed by all these criticisms of "illegal" testing requirements to fly to the US when: a) so many of these very people have mostly been silent when the US Government put in place the US's WHTI requirement to generally have a passport to fly to the US even when it comes to US citizens; and b) so many of these very people have mostly been silent when the USG started with using no-fly lists and US passport denial lists against free US citizens so as to prevent some Americans from flying back to the US by common carriers despite these very Americans too having a right to enter the US as citizens of the US. They just needed to be able to make it to a US port of entry in order to exercise their inalienable right to re-enter the country of citizenship.

For much of the life of many of the Americans on FT, we've been able to fly internationally to the US on some routes without even having a passport. Not any more. For most of the life of most Americans on FT, we've been able to fly internationally to the US without having to meet a Covid-19 testing requirement to fly to the US but still have had to meet other USG requirements to be able to fly on common carriers to reach a country to which we have a right to entry on arrival that is far more widely protected by the body of US law than the ability to fly internationally to the US on common carriers.

If it's acceptable for the US to deny US citizens the right to fly back on common carriers to the US without a passport or passport-replacing document, and if it's acceptable to use the no-fly-lists to prevent any US citizens from flying backing to the US, then it shouldn't be a surprise that the slippery slope led to the US prohibiting even more US citizens from flying back on common carriers to the US during a public health emergency.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 4, 2022 at 8:29 am
Old May 4, 2022, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
As to COVID itself, the concept of long COVID is a bit of a red herring. I do think the "best" thing to come from the fact that people are discussing the concept of "long COVID" is that we are discussing the long term side effects of any generally considered mild illness. A small, but not insignificant, number of people have long term effects from all kinds of viral infections that are generally considered mild. Jim Henson died of pneumonia brought on by what was viewed initially as a pretty mild flu or cold that continued for weeks untreated. There is no question that any respiratory illness can exhibit these long term effects - I don't think COVID can be viewed as special here.
The currently known percentage (from a couple of studies) of “long covid” prevalence seems much larger and more spread across multiple organs including odd side effects such as sudden onset of diabetes, etc., compared to typical respiratory illnesses for it to be so glibly and naively dismissed. As I said before, it is premature at the moment to base a policy assuming that it is a nothing-burger.
Old May 5, 2022, 2:50 am
Suspended

The currently known percentage (from a couple of studies) of “long covid” prevalence seems much larger and more spread across multiple organs including odd side effects such as sudden onset of diabetes, etc., compared to typical respiratory illnesses for it to be so glibly and naively dismissed. As I said before, it is premature at the moment to base a policy assuming that it is a nothing-burger.
I was talking to some people who fielded constituent complaints on behalf of parts of the USG when it came to the US testing requirement to fly to the US, and it seems to have been males who have been disproportionately more likely to make contact complaining about the testing requirement since January 2021. Does the CDC pre-departure lawsuit case have its plaintiffs as being mostly male travelers?

It's not exactly surprising to me that men have been complaining more about this testing requirement since January 2021, but a lot of people do things that aren't necessarily good for their own health. For example, even some of those who didn't think Covid-19 was a big deal for their own health and claimed to be asymptomatic when positive for Covid-19 abroad have later found out to their chagrin that they got hit with "long Covid". Some urologists have said that some "Covid is no big deal" dudes who came in as patients -- for reasons the patients didn't think was related to Covid-19 -- have turned out to be surprised that Covid-19 was a big deal that keeps them down when they want to fly with blood flow to the erectile tissue.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I was talking to some people who fielded constituent complaints on behalf of parts of the USG when it came to the US testing requirement to fly to the US, and it seems to have been males who have been disproportionately more likely to make contact complaining about the testing requirement since January 2021. Does the CDC pre-departure lawsuit case have its plaintiffs as being mostly male travelers?
Ah, I suspect it's mostly that men historically have a higher tolerance for risk, especially American men. At least, with my generation. LMAO
Old May 6, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
How much of the "sudden onset" of diabetes is related to questionable lockdown measures relating to health and fitness? How many of said "sudden onset" of diabetes cases are among those who are overweight and obese and more likely to suffer severe COVID complications?
tai4de2, BLV, 84fiero and 2 others like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
How much of the "sudden onset" of diabetes is related to questionable lockdown measures relating to health and fitness? How many of said "sudden onset" of diabetes cases are among those who are overweight and obese and more likely to suffer severe COVID complications?
Do you know they WERE NOT caused by Covid? Rhetorical question.

We don’t know exact answers yet but there is some evidence of Covid residuals normalized to previous years so far.

The point however is that as a policy not taking precautions to willingly expose others (including those you consider obese and more likely to suffer severe complications or less obnoxiously immuno-compressed, etc) just because of some inconvenience to others is wise until we get more data or see the variant mutations reducing.

Clearly, there is a balance to be made between function and caution. This is about taking a test before using enclosed public transport, not some lockdown. Everyone seems to agree that if they were infected, they would not voluntarily fly (assuming they are all being honest). If that is something that people are willing to do, then they must think it is something more than just a cold. The test is just a practical way of ensuring that since they can be contagiois before symptoms and the virus is still around.

Would YOU voluntarily fly if you were infected with Covid (with no more than cold symptoms) as opposed to a common cold? A honest answer would indicate the answers to many of your questions and where you are coming from?
Old May 7, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs

We don’t know exact answers yet but there is some evidence of Covid residuals normalized to previous years so far.

The point however is that as a policy not taking precautions to willingly expose others (including those you consider obese and more likely to suffer severe complications or less obnoxiously immuno-compressed, etc) just because of some inconvenience to others is wise until we get more data or see the variant mutations reducing.

Clearly, there is a balance to be made between function and caution. This is about taking a test before using enclosed public transport, not some lockdown. Everyone seems to agree that if they were infected, they would not voluntarily fly (assuming they are all being honest). If that is something that people are willing to do, then they must think it is something more than just a cold. The test is just a practical way of ensuring that since they can be contagiois before symptoms and the virus is still around.

Would YOU voluntarily fly if you were infected with Covid (with no more than cold symptoms) as opposed to a common cold? A honest answer would indicate the answers to many of your questions and where you are coming from?
I think more people than one might care to admit would fly (online self vs. self stuck in foreign country are sometimes different beings), which of course then supports the point of testing from a policy perspective.

OTOH, the US is on a shrinking list of nations still requiring testing to arrive home, and so make of that what you will.
LETTERBOY and michael1023 like this.

Last edited by northinsouth; May 7, 2022 at 6:56 am Reason: Forgot end of sentence.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:53 am
Suspended

I would absolutely fly and have no issue admitting it.

By this point, people have to assess their own appetite for risk. Everyone could have gotton 15 jabs by now if they want, plus choose to continue wearing a mask if they think it works.
tai4de2 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:58 am
Suspended

Just to show how bogus the whole thing is, look at the White House Correspondence Supper last week.

Everyone was jabbed and probably had ‘umpteen’ boosters, plus they ALL tested before entering.

Obviously, they all tested negative at arrival and look how many still had the cold this week. A lot of them.

The testing thing should just be eliminated entirely, practically everywhere.

When you’re sick, treat the cold symptoms and move on.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelForum
I would absolutely fly and have no issue admitting it.
Isn’t doing so still grounds for criminal prosecution by US federal prosecutors?

I don’t know about you, but from my perspective I’m sure that scamming the US federal government is not my idea of something to be done by me.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:49 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have two sets (from different manufacturers) of the FREE covid test kits mailed to me by the US GOV.
Before my next trip back to the USA from Europe I plan on using two covid test kits (one from each supplier) as a “dry run” before doing the real test. If I test negative on each unofficial test, but, positive on the official test would i be safe to conclude that it was a false positive?
Some airlines are more concerned with one’s submission of the “CDC attestation form” than seeing that one actually tested negative.
So, if I “attest” that I tested negative would I be making a false statement.—I was negative 2/3 on tests taken in close proximity of each other.
A general question re GOVID testing, for the supervised (via ZOOM) testing would false positives be less likely using a “cursory” swab vs deep swabbing?
Old May 7, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Make of this what you will, in terms of the Administration's willingness to drop or relax the testing requirement...

https://www.wlwt.com/article/coronav...llion/39934234

The Biden administration is issuing a new warning that the U.S. could potentially see 100 million COVID-19 infections this fall and winter, as officials publicly stress the need for more funding from Congress to prepare the nation.
Old May 7, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Make of this what you will, in terms of the Administration's willingness to drop or relax the testing requirement...

https://www.wlwt.com/article/coronav...llion/39934234
I don't think they're necessarily connected. The focus has been on hospitalizations and deaths (rather than cases) for quite a while now.

What I'd love to see is for someone in Congress (probably the Senate, given how easy it is for one Senator to muck things up) to say, "You want the money, then drop this stupid testing rule." Probably won't happen, but I can dream, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.