FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   CDC pre-departure lawsuit cases updates? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2076272-cdc-pre-departure-lawsuit-cases-updates.html)

washeelers747 Apr 19, 2022 6:42 am

CDC pre-departure lawsuit cases updates?

As we all know, we are subject to this rule for more than a year and I did see some information online that there are multiple pending lawsuits on this decision. However I don’t see much new information and want to see if others know more about those cases.

Obviously it’s a huge interest to me and many others since we have to figure how and where and when to take tests every time we need to fly back to USA.

TravelForum Apr 19, 2022 6:54 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747 (Post 34177147)
As we all know, we are subject to this rule for more than a year and I did see some information online that there are multiple pending lawsuits on this decision. However I don’t see much new information and want to see if others know more about those cases.

Obviously it’s a huge interest to me and many others since we have to figure how and where and when to take tests every time we need to fly back to USA.

I'd also like to know about where those lawsuits stand. As soon as that is lifted, I'll immediately book an international trip.

sxc7885 Apr 19, 2022 7:17 am

Also interested in any updates since 95% of the flying I do is international so for me I cant really consider taking off my mask based on yesterdays decision until this is lifted as I have no desire to be stuck for a weeks overseas.

StingWest Apr 19, 2022 9:47 am

Originally Posted by sxc7885 (Post 34177235)
Also interested in any updates since 95% of the flying I do is international so for me I cant really consider taking off my mask based on yesterdays decision until this is lifted as I have no desire to be stuck for a weeks overseas.

Well, not to mention infecting others if you do get infected overseas. The pandemic is not quite over esp in Europe, even though the numbers are declining. It would be nice at least to alter the requirement to have the test requirement be 2 days before arrival rather than one.

I understand the risk of being stuck overseas for an extra 7-10 days if you catch Covid (the risk I'm myself taking right now while in London/Rome), but that's the current state of affairs whether or not there is a mask and/or testing requirement. And I assume of course that people won't knowingly travel while infected.

nomiiiii Apr 19, 2022 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by sxc7885 (Post 34177235)

Both Canada and Mexico do not require a test for entry if you're vaccinated.
USA does not require a test for entry via land border.
There are many airports near the border with easy transfer by land (Tijuana-SanDiego, Brownsville-Matamoros, ElPaso-Juarez, Windsor-Detroit, Vancouver-Seattle, Niagara-Buffalo, Montreal-Burlington, SaultSteMarie etc).

The above facts should mean that you never ever have to be stuck abroad unless departing from a dwindling handful of countries in Africa that require a covid test to enter the airport regardless of destination.

VegasGambler Apr 19, 2022 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii (Post 34178256)
Both Canada and Mexico do not require a test for entry if you're vaccinated.

Mexico doesn't require anything, including vaccination. The unvaccinated can travel there with no test.

N1120A Apr 24, 2022 4:03 am

Unlike the mask mandate, this is bad policy - not merely questionable politics. While the mask decision was extraordinarily poorly reasoned and political, functionally denying entry of American persons to the US using this testing requirement probably is illegal.

Acasoncrew Apr 24, 2022 12:27 pm

Logistics of flying into Canada to avoid test

How does this actually work? If my destination is Toronto, for example, departure from Rome does American airlines look at the Canadian destination and let me board without a test?
Of course I am fully vaccinated soon to get #4 Moderna shot.

nomiiiii Apr 25, 2022 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Acasoncrew (Post 34192457)
How does this actually work? If my destination is Toronto, for example, departure from Rome does American airlines look at the Canadian destination and let me board without a test?
Of course I am fully vaccinated soon to get #4 Moderna shot.

No. Since you'll have to enter US to take your US to Canada flight, you need to satisfy all rules for US entry.

Acasoncrew Apr 25, 2022 10:23 am

Land border x ing

To clarify my ?...land border crossing...arrival in Toronto, for example and take one of the many vehicle shuttle services from Toronto Airport to Buffalo Airport .
Then it would be domestic air travel to fly home to Charlotte NC.
Has anyone done this or similar?

84fiero Apr 25, 2022 10:44 am

The plaintiff for one of the testing lawsuits has a blog with updates (also seems to have had a mask lawsuit going). I didn't sift through it all in detail but it looks like the last action may have been a District Court ruling on various motions by both parties back in December...

https://lucas.travel/category/testing-lawsuits/

JBJ2435 Apr 25, 2022 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Acasoncrew (Post 34194943)
To clarify my ?...land border crossing...arrival in Toronto, for example and take one of the many vehicle shuttle services from Toronto Airport to Buffalo Airport .

There's no land crossing testing requirement so you should be good. If your flight from Rome to Toronto doesn't include the Buffalo to Charlotte segment, not sure they would care.

GrayAnderson Apr 25, 2022 8:57 pm

So for example, if you fly BA LHR-MEX and then Aeromexico MEX-TIJ and use the bridge, no mask mandate plus no testing requirement (and getting from there to SAN via taxi/rideshare is feasible).

84fiero Apr 26, 2022 7:20 pm

This isn't a lawsuit but wasn't sure where else to place it, given the other testing policy discussion thread is locked. 15 House of Representatives Members (from both parties) sent a letter to the White House asking for a change in policy, on 12 April:

https://correa.house.gov/news/press-...ng-requirement

We proudly represent communities where travel and tourism is a key driver of jobs and economic activity, and write today to respectfully request that fully vaccinated travelers be exempted from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) current order requiring proof of a negative coronavirus (COVID-19) test or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 for all air passengers arriving from a foreign country (“inbound testing order”).[1] Doing so would bring the U.S. in line with the decision of other countries to drop such testing requirements, including in Europe, Latin America and South Asia.
PDF of the letter is on the linked page. Granted, 15 is a drop in the bucket but it's better than nothing I guess.

pershoot Apr 26, 2022 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Acasoncrew (Post 34194943)

Please also be aware, CAN is performing 'mandatory randomized arrival testing':
travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#arrival