Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

CDC pre-departure lawsuit cases updates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDC pre-departure lawsuit cases updates?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by paul21
It's not so much logic as it is legal restrictions. The federal government has some authority to restrict movements internationally, but interstate movement is mostly protected. It'd be up to individual airlines to impose a pre departure test to board, and then there's IDB rules etc., otherwise individual states can only impose a limited quarantine on arrival.

You're stating this as if some central medical authority decided it was best to test international arrivals and not domestic flights and therefore is a hypocrite or nonsensical. In practice this authority may have wanted both but could only secure one.
Just because legal restrictions prevent the CDC from behaving like mainland China doesn't mean they have to create an ineffective burden that wastes a tremendous amount of time, money, and other resources. "Doing something" should require a logical justification.
84fiero, LETTERBOY, the810 and 2 others like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by venk
False negatives are certainly far more likely with these tests than false positives. So, restricting those with a Covid positive result is part of the solution even if not the complete solution. “Don’t ask, don’t tell” (i.e., not requiring a test) does not seem to be a good alternative policy for handling a pandemic.

A possible position is whether Covid infection should be treated as a serious communicable disease that should be prevented from infecting others or just ignored as similar to common cold. This is certainly more defensible than a denial of entry argument. Hopefully that becomes the state at some point but I don’t think we are there yet given lack of information on long covid consequences, the mutatability of the virus, etc.
It might be worth looking into symptom-screening and if someone is showing symptoms, force them through a rapid test [that the airline is responsible for overseeing]. Really, the main problem is that nobody is "actually" in charge on doing the testing.

But as I said, the issue is that while (to offer an example) CDG-JFK is test-required, CDG-YUL [and then drive to NYC] is not. So is CDG-MEX-TIJ [and then walk across the border]. So it's a pointless policy that can be worked around quickly in a pinch.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Can you help clarify the logic for us on the required testing for international inbound flights while domestically the US has hundreds of thousands if not millions of cases circulating at all times? And then tie long covid into the story for us - how this testing is helping address long covid risks.

I'm always fascinated by bureaucracy trying to accomplish goals in completely nonsensical fashion.
There is no single solution to prevent Covid spread. US policy contains a certain set of mitigating procedures. Individual countries do not necessarily follow the same set of mitigating policies, some better, some are a lot worse. It is impractical to specify and enforce requirements on specific countries so it is universally applied.

Long covid is a different issue. It is a thorn in the position that we should just let Covid wash over the population and get over it or treat it just like common cold. The unknowns around long Covid suggests that subjecting people to that as a policy may be premature.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
It might be worth looking into symptom-screening and if someone is showing symptoms, force them through a rapid test [[i]that the airline is responsible for overseeing]. Really, the main problem is that nobody is "actually" in charge on doing the testing.

But as I said, the issue is that while (to offer an example) CDG-JFK is test-required, CDG-YUL [and then drive to NYC] is not. So is CDG-MEX-TIJ [and then [i]walk across the border]. So it's a pointless policy that can be worked around quickly in a pinch.
If the symptoms testing was reliable, practical and well correlated with the ability to infect others, perhaps. It does not appear to be so.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
The comment arguably does as phrased. A better point would be that the combination of a lack of a testing requirement to enter Canada or Mexico plus the lack of a requirement to enter the US by land makes defeating the test-to-fly requirement quite easy.

[The fact that the requirement applies to a YUL-JFK flight but not a JFK-HNL flight also makes the logic somewhat suspect except as, at best, a "target of opportunity".]

Edit: Also, just to be a prat, but swimming across the St. Lawrence River, while legally fraught, is definitely doable in places by a good swimmer with a wetsuit in the right weather who doesn't mind "landing" a bit downstream from where they started. There are definitely places this doesn't apply, but also places where it would.
The lack of a testing requirement for Canada is relatively new, and still doesn't really change anything.

Originally Posted by paul21
It's not so much logic as it is legal restrictions. The federal government has some authority to restrict movements internationally, but interstate movement is mostly protected. It'd be up to individual airlines to impose a pre departure test to board, and then there's IDB rules etc., otherwise individual states can only impose a limited quarantine on arrival.

You're stating this as if some central medical authority decided it was best to test international arrivals and not domestic flights and therefore is a hypocrite or nonsensical. In practice this authority may have wanted both but could only secure one.
Maybe to restrict movements outbound, but not inbound for US persons.

Originally Posted by venk
There is no single solution to prevent Covid spread. US policy contains a certain set of mitigating procedures. Individual countries do not necessarily follow the same set of mitigating policies, some better, some are a lot worse. It is impractical to specify and enforce requirements on specific countries so it is universally applied.

Long covid is a different issue. It is a thorn in the position that we should just let Covid wash over the population and get over it or treat it just like common cold. The unknowns around long Covid suggests that subjecting people to that as a policy may be premature.
As to COVID itself, the concept of long COVID is a bit of a red herring. I do think the "best" thing to come from the fact that people are discussing the concept of "long COVID" is that we are discussing the long term side effects of any generally considered mild illness. A small, but not insignificant, number of people have long term effects from all kinds of viral infections that are generally considered mild. Jim Henson died of pneumonia brought on by what was viewed initially as a pretty mild flu or cold that continued for weeks untreated. There is no question that any respiratory illness can exhibit these long term effects - I don't think COVID can be viewed as special here.
84fiero and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA-PS, SkyMiles, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
The pre-departure covid test for US entry needs to be lifted

This rule seems to be orphaned. Is there any pathway to having this lifted? The fact that most all other nations have lifted this requirement should signal similar action of the United States. Also, there is a huge inconsistency that a border crossing does not create a covid test requirement, yet an air entry does. Who is championing the removal of this requirement?
Old May 3, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by POSHtravelier
This rule seems to be orphaned. Is there any pathway to having this lifted? The fact that most all other nations have lifted this requirement should signal similar action of the United States. Also, there is a huge inconsistency that a border crossing does not create a covid test requirement, yet an air entry does. Who is championing the removal of this requirement?
Thinking the same thing. Today is the last day of the mask mandate, was hoping the test would be tied to it somehow...
Haven't seen any news or updates on it, anyone?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by POSHtravelier
*crickets*
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Thinking the same thing. Today is the last day of the mask mandate, was hoping the test would be tied to it somehow...
Haven't seen any news or updates on it, anyone?
As evidenced by the fact that the CDC came out today and still ‘recommends’ masking on public transportation, had the judge not put an end to this baloney, they would have extended it again.

Let’s not kid ourselves and think the CDC would have ever given up that authority, if not ordered by the judge.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 15, 2022 at 4:36 am Reason: Redacted OMNI comment
Old May 3, 2022, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Hopefully not that this stupid rule is going to be in effect for ages like “remove your shoe” rule .. where is the judge who will take the cake away from CDC on testing requirements ?
84fiero, LETTERBOY and Visconti like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Hopefully not that this stupid rule is going to be in effect for ages like “remove your shoe” rule .. where is the judge who will take the cake away from CDC on testing requirements ?
The shoe thing is a bout a minute or two tops of minor inconvenience, the other thing can strand you on a foreign place for up to 10 days without any consistent ruling across the different countries.

The testing is more insidious; not even NZ, Australia, Singapore, countries that I thought were particularly harsh in 2020-2021, subjugate their own citizens to this antediluvian rule today.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by wooootles
The testing is more insidious; not even NZ, Australia, Singapore, countries that I thought were particularly harsh in 2020-2021, subjugate their own citizens to this antediluvian rule today.
If Pfizer and Moderna lobbyists are reading this, y'all need to earn your money and get your CDC compatriots to lay off on this testing thing. I've had the Omi thing relatively recently and have significant natual immunity to the current strain. If my own country insists I test to reenter, I'm just going to test to enter, say, France rather than complying with the 8 month booster requirement. Want marginal revenue? Well, you ain't getting it from me unless there's some changes in how we're doing things.

PS - Vaccine Makers - want to sell more? Update your vaccine for future and current strains. Omi is so rear view mirror stuff.
LETTERBOY and TravelForum like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
I think that between Monday's leaked SC doc, the ongoing Ukraine crisis, and inflation into the ionosphere, I don't see Biden's gov inclined to move on this or even give it much priority. I'm betting we'll be testing for the foreseeable future (though would love to be wrong on this account).
Old May 4, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Well here's one update from Lucas Wall's case, mentioned upthread:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...mask-mandates/

This judge ruled in favor of Uncle Sam wrt both the testing requirement and mask mandate. A couple of things I noted

[Judge Byron]​​ also noted that the law gives the Surgeon General authority to skip some rulemaking steps — something that Wall objected to in his complaint — when there is good cause for urgent public health actions.
Which is fair enough - at very beginning of the pandemic or other emergent situation. But after time has passed, the government should be required to go through the normal rulemaking process to retain an emergency rule for an extended period of time. That may or may not bring about a different outcome in the rule, but at the very least the standard process should be adhered to in the long run.

I could've sworn there were a couple of state AG lawsuits involving the testing requirement. But I must be remembering wrong as I can't find anything. There are/were state suits about the mask mandate. I was hoping state AGs would have a better chance at success than the DIYers in the case above.​ ​​​​​
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by northinsouth
I think that between Monday's leaked SC doc, the ongoing Ukraine crisis, and inflation into the ionosphere, I don't see Biden's gov inclined to move on this or even give it much priority. I'm betting we'll be testing for the foreseeable future (though would love to be wrong on this account).
Yeah once I saw the leak, I thought action on testing would be buried. Whoever leaked the preliminary and non-binding document should be severely punished.
ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.