Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 1:04 am

As a data point, I flew from the US to AMS via the UK prior to the new rules. UK is on the very high risk area which the USA will be on. I was exempt from mandatory self quarantine as I was only transiting in the UK and did not leave the airport. I felt as if the mandatory quarantine is based on the honor system. There was no one at the gate monitoring or tracking passengers and once in AMS airport there was no separation between passengers from safe countries and non safe countries. Border patrol did not ask for proof of my exemption. There could be the remote possibility that everyone on the LHR to AMS flight was transiting in UK from safe countries and so no mandatory quarantine from anyone was required.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by hsumh316
I felt as if the mandatory quarantine is based on the honor system.
Yup. There are no systematic checks for Covid-19 documentation at AMS (or any of the other border crossings into the Netherlands ), just spot checks when they feel like it. (which is not very often based on my own experience and that of friends and relatives)

In general, almost all intra-Schengen land borders are open as usual. Of the dozens of stories I heard from friends and family driving around Europe this summer, I heard just one case of a intra-Schengen border check: at a rural, obscure border crossing between Estonia and Latvia.

Last edited by Sjoerd; Sep 5, 2021 at 3:00 am
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:24 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The Dutch seem to have decided that a compulsory 10 days quarantine - with a negative after 5 days allowing early release - from yesterday.
Online forms and paper forms must be completed but it looks like my trip from the UK in two weeks is toast.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:54 am
CBS

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Various exemptions are in place such as

"Entry from Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway is not subject to any entry restrictions.”

or something like "have close family ties as specified in” ...

https://www.government.se/articles/2...ban-to-sweden/

So if you’re an American married to say a Dane, you can enter Denmark and subsequently Sweden. There’s some room for your imagination.
Swedens requirements are truly baffling - particularly allowing entry from Nordic countries without any qualifications, such as minimum stay in those countries. A non-swede cannot enter from the US without an exceptional reason. But a vaccinated non-Swedish resident of the US (or any OECD) country can fly to Copenhagen, enter without any testing or registration, and immediately proceed to Sweden (apparently even on a connecting ticket) without issue.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by CBS; Sep 5, 2021 at 10:42 am
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
As far as I can tell, you still need to fill in the quarantine declaration and state why you are exempted.

When you look at the exemption categories, the transit exemption says you have to stay at the airport (or train station etc.): https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...ory-quarantine

edit: It's actually a bit confusing since there's a separate 12 hour exemption as well as the transit exemption. The 12 hour exemption does not seem to say anything about staying at the airport. It's very unlikely that you would get checked, but there's the potential legal way to do it.
As I read this, I could proceed with a plan to go US-AMS, then take the train to DUS, as long as a) I do not leave the AMS train station(s) and b) entry to Germany is still allowed.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by CBS
Swedens requirements are truly baffling - particularly allowing entry from Nordic countries without any qualifications, such as minimum stay in those countries. A non-swede cannot enter from the US without an exceptional reason. But a vaccinated non-Swedish resident of the US (or any OECD) country can fly to Copenhagen, enter without any testing or registration, and immediately proceed to Sweden (apparently even on a connecting ticket) without issue.
It is truly baffling; I said F it and I am going to try and fly to ARN tomorrow from LAX connecting in ZRH. Let's see if LX stops me at LAX or lets me get through (which meets the letter of the law due to the ZRH transit). I have PCR tests and Vaccine certificates with me.

Will report back.
Xyzzy and Flying Machine like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:41 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Sweden is only banning Americans who fly directly from the US, yet as far as I can tell, there are no non-stop flights from the US to ARN currently operating right now. So then who are they actually banning? Americans who fly to Sweden on a private jet? Americans who transit in LHR instead of a Schengen country? Americans who swim to Sweden?
Tiramisu likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 2:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by t325
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Sweden is only banning Americans who fly directly from the US, yet as far as I can tell, there are no non-stop flights from the US to ARN currently operating right now. So then who are they actually banning? Americans who fly to Sweden on a private jet? Americans who transit in LHR instead of a Schengen country? Americans who swim to Sweden?
There's an SK flight leaving from EWR tomorrow afternoon for ARN:

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...r=USD&hl=en-US
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
There's an SK flight leaving from EWR tomorrow afternoon for ARN:

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...r=USD&hl=en-US
Someone mentioned that flight earlier in the thread - apparently it hasn’t actually been flown in months, it just gets canceled every day. I’m not sure why it’s even on sale. Looking at Flightaware there’s only one instance of SK904 and it was canceled.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Someone mentioned that flight earlier in the thread - apparently it hasn’t actually been flown in months, it just gets canceled every day. I’m not sure why it’s even on sale. Looking at Flightaware there’s only one instance of SK904 and it was canceled.
It would appear that SK903 from ARN arrived at EWR a couple of hours ago. Which reminds me that a few weeks ago I noticed not one, but two SK flights on the ground at EWR. Given the 24 hour rule is still in place, I'm itching to make a reservation for tomorrow to see what happens.

Swimming across from Copenhagen would be a safer bet! That aside, being vaccinated by itself is no longer good enough to enter Denmark.

Correction: I misread OECD as EU; US is a member of OECD, so no worthy purpose needed if fully vaccinated.

Last edited by vanillabean; Sep 5, 2021 at 11:30 pm
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
It would appear that SK903 from ARN arrived at EWR a couple of hours ago. Which reminds me that a few weeks ago I noticed not one, but two SK flights on the ground at EWR. Given the 24 hour rule is still in place, I'm itching to make a reservation for tomorrow to see what happens.

Swimming across from Copenhagen would be a safer bet! That aside, being vaccinated by itself is no longer good enough to enter Denmark.
Showing that you're vaccinated is still enough.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
You all want to wager guesses if I make it or not?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFW_CK
You all want to wager guesses if I make it or not?
Okay I'll play and say not. Simply because of this from TIMATIC which states US residents can enter until 5 Sept.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:40 pm
CBS

Originally Posted by DFW_CK
It is truly baffling; I said F it and I am going to try and fly to ARN tomorrow from LAX connecting in ZRH. Let's see if LX stops me at LAX or lets me get through (which meets the letter of the law due to the ZRH transit). I have PCR tests and Vaccine certificates with me.

Will report back.
I would double check - my reading is that Sweden will only allow entry from non-Nordic EEU countries (which includes Switzerland) if you have an EU digital covid certificate or one issued by an exempted country, which the US no longer is. Based on your description you “should” be denied entry. Please let us know how it goes. If your connection was in CPH, KEF or HEL you’d be fine.

Sweden has, IMO, concocted the most complicated and least logical set of rules of all of Europe - our CDC vaccine cards are no longer an authorized equivalent to the EU digital certificate for entering from a non-Nordic EEU country, but if we fly from Iceland, whose geographical and economic connection to Sweden is fairly remote, we don’t need to show proof of anything. The new Berlin-Stockholm night train would seemingly be OK, as it transits Denmark. Perhaps something magical happens just north of Flensburg?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by CBS
Perhaps something magical happens just north of Flensburg?
I guess that depends on who is on the train with you. 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.