Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
CHECK THIS LINK FOR YOUR LOT NUMBER ON YOUR BinaxNOW Covid Tests for the extended expiration date:
  • Lot 195-200: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%84%A2%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Upda te%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en
  • Lot 195-200 and 195-100: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/scrtechs-0381-v8-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-home-test-product.pdf
  • Lot 195-000: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

Previously, it was on https://ohio.emed.com/ but the link has been removed.

The good news is that as of mid-Dec 2021, Abbott Labs is apparently shipping only kits with printed expiration dates well into 2022.

*Hat Tip to poster Blue Skye

Print Wikipost

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:25 am

I just bought a set of two from Optum which expire in October. Pretty short expiration time...
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I just bought a set of two from Optum which expire in October. Pretty short expiration time...
They're supposedly valid a year from the manufacturer date. I contacted Optum. But, who really knows. I'm using mine for personal use if I ever think I might have covid. In reality they don't expire in October. It all depends what the online counselor states. But for personal use It wouldn't start expiring for sometime like a long time if kept cool and in a dark place.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by yerffej201
This is quoted from the eMed site:
"Important Information about Expiration Dates: The manufacturer has extended the expiration date of BinaxNOW Home Tests by an additional 90 days. Using the lot number on the outside of the box the test comes in, you can find the new extended expiration date"

https://ohio.emed.com/

I checked my tests, and their expiration date, based on the lot number, is now Jan 2022.
remaxmac likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
This is quoted from the eMed site:
"Important Information about Expiration Dates: The manufacturer has extended the expiration date of BinaxNOW Home Tests by an additional 90 days. Using the lot number on the outside of the box the test comes in, you can find the new extended expiration date"

https://ohio.emed.com/

I checked my tests, and their expiration date, based on the lot number, is now Jan 2022.
I added your link to the wiki so people can see it instead of repeatedly asking. Neither eMed or Optum have been very proactive in providing updates. Especially since there's several outdated websites and letters they've directed people to that are outdated.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I added your link to the wiki so people can see it instead of repeatedly asking. Neither eMed or Optum have been very proactive in providing updates. Especially since there's several outdated websites and letters they've directed people to that are outdated.
Thank you. You are correct, it will hopefully help someone looking for that info.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Skye
Thank you. You are correct, it will hopefully help someone looking for that info.
I credited you in the wiki. Thanks again 👍
Blue Skye and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:29 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Just did the test, around 8PM EST. Wait was about 25 minutes to get the initial agent. Once the agent connected the test itself was very smooth and easily doable on my iPhone (with a stand) while following instructions. There was almost no wait for results once the 15 minute post-testing timer was done. (They put you in a priority queue after you take the test and you wait 15 minutes for results to show).

Would recommend this service.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 1:36 pm

I’m torn whether or not to purchase a kit or not for my husband and me. It looks like I have a choice of buying a 2-pack with Optum for,$69.99 or a 6-pack with emed for $150. It’s not clear to me whether the 2-pack can be used for 2 people or the individual buyer. $150 is a lot for the 2 of us if we only need 1 each, though Abbot says on that each person should 2 tests in case there is a problem with one.

Since we are going to Italy (flying out of Naples), the cost per test there seems much more reasonable since all we need is an antigen test.

Or, if we do buy them, which kit should we purchase? Would we be able to use the 2-test kit for both of us?

Last edited by progol; Sep 3, 2021 at 1:51 pm
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by progol
Im torn whether or not to purchase a kit or not for my husband and me. It looks like I have a choice of buying a 2-pack with Optum for,$69.99 or a 6-pack with emed for $150. Its not clear to me whether the 2-pack can be used for 2 people or the individual buyer. $150 is a lot for the 2 of us if we only need 1 each, though Abbot says on that each person should 2 tests in case there is a problem with one.

Since we are going to Italy (flying out of Naples), the cost per test there seems much more reasonable since all we need is an antigen test.

Or, if we do buy them, which kit should we purchase? Would we be able to use the 2-test kit for both of us?
If you know for a fact your Italy trip will be your one and only trip that has you returning to the US this this year, then just get it done in Italy. Otherwise, get the 6 pack or the 3 pack (extra for backup or to use in an emergency for personal use). Anybody (more than one person) can use the 6 pack. Many people have confirmed that already.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
If you know for a fact your Italy trip will be your one and only trip that has you returning to the US this this year, then just get it done in Italy. Otherwise, get the 6 pack or the 3 pack (extra for backup or to use in an emergency for personal use). Anybody (more than one person) can use the 6 pack. Many people have confirmed that already.
Thanks for the feedback. I had gone back and forth on this for a while and had come to the conclusion that I will just stick to getting it in Italy. This will be our only international trip this year and it seems more than necessary to get.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 11:13 am

we did our test on aug 26 around 11HST and connected right away. Was dreading the worst, but it turned out better than we expected. So easy.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 3:05 pm

We did our tests Sun Sep 5 around midday PST and were connected right away. Would also recommend service.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
thanks to everyone continuing to provide data points. I purchased and am hoping to use the binaxnow proctored test in about a month...it's encouraging that they seem to be doing better with wait times.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
We just finished this test today, it was about 1 hour from start to finish for my husband and 1.20 minutes for me. We started around 3PM PDT.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Is this service/test available in other countries as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.