FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html)

LoungeLizardHugo Aug 6, 2021 7:10 am

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Trying to get a "Certified Guide" and get the test done. Been holding online for more than three hours now. Called three times as well and all they say is sorry, high call volume, we're backed up.

Looks like we will be up all night trying to get an Abbot/Navica guide online to do the tests for flight tomorrow, and from the looks of it, may not happen in which case we are out of pocket for a rapid test at the airport.

We've used the Abbott Binaxnow ten times for international return flights to US since February, never had this problem before. I guessing the Philippine call center is massively understaffed with al the idiotic covid restrictions going on in PH.

Buyer/flyer beware!

36902BRF Aug 6, 2021 8:44 am

Thanks for heads up I think this is the second complaint I have seen like this. One thing to state the obvious is if this is for a return the US you really should probably do this at T-3 days if a direct flight back to US. This gives one more time to adjust for any issues.

lobo411 Aug 6, 2021 10:06 am

Bleh... Sorry to hear it but thanks for the heads up

LoungeLizardHugo Aug 6, 2021 10:24 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF (Post 33469146)
Thanks for heads up I think this is the second complaint I have seen like this. One thing to state the obvious is if this is for a return the US you really should probably do this at T-3 days if a direct flight back to US. This gives one more time to adjust for any issues.

Sage advice! :tu:

FlyingfromDC Aug 6, 2021 11:01 am

I just checked and wait time still 181 minutes. There is a warning posted about wait times exceeding 2 hours. 3 weeks ago I only had to wait seconds.

Has anyone taken the test in the last few days in the morning EU time? A few days ago someone here reported it was possible to get through in 2 minutes during “EU off-hours”. So I’m guessing anytime after breakfast until maybe midnight e.g. UK time wait times are long right now?

Any idea what has changed in just a matter of days with eMed? Staff turnover, word of mouth catching up in the U.S. so more travelers are taking the test with them, more EU countries opening up to travel? Is covid situation in the Philippines making it hard or impossible for the eMed call center staff to go in?

I don’t think the increasing U.S. covid numbers would impact this, since for non-travel there are much more affordable testing options available.

36902BRF Aug 6, 2021 11:30 am

OP mentioned a lockdown in the Manilla area. See:https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...ckdown-returns . If their call center is there I could see it being a major issue. I suspect US travel is also up given that it is August. Probably multiple things at play.

Doppy Aug 6, 2021 12:15 pm

Nearly two hour wait yesterday for a call started morning US east coast time; about 2.5 hours for a call started late morning west coast time.

Taking the test at T-3 makes sense in case of any troubles, on the other hand, it leaves less flexibility if your plans change.

mxracer95 Aug 6, 2021 4:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up. My tests just shipped today for travel at the end of the month.

Doppy Aug 6, 2021 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by mxracer95 (Post 33470594)
Thanks for the heads up. My tests just shipped today for travel at the end of the month.

Guess you better log on now!

Hammerklavier Aug 6, 2021 5:49 pm

Currently on hold for 4+ hours.

The counter went down to zero and now has just said “we will be with you shortly” for over an hour now. Little video window at the top right disappeared as well.

We’ve booked local tests tomorrow morning as a backup.

FlyingfromDC Aug 6, 2021 9:10 pm

Wait time right now is 346 minutes, i.e. almost 6 hours. It seems to be getting worse…

Hammerklavier Aug 6, 2021 9:34 pm

Left it running and went out to dinner. When I came back I had a link to reconnect in a priority queue, which got me in with a proctor in 2 minutes or so. Phew!

It unfortunately did not work for my friend who couldn’t get his mic/camera to work in the priority queue, so he got dumped back out to the general queue (346 minutes to go) so YMMV.

I don’t regret booking the local test (non-refundable) just for the peace of mind it offered. Would definitely go that route and not count on the self test if you have imminent travel needs. This doesn’t feel reliable enough to chance it right now.

RetiredATLATC Aug 6, 2021 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by mxracer95 (Post 33470594)

Check your expiration dates, BinaxNOW has been sending testing kits that expire within weeks.

lskohn Aug 6, 2021 10:51 pm

Waited over 3.5 hours (3 pm -6:30 pm Central, 10 pm - 1:30 am local) - it went to "...will be with you shortly" for over 30 min but having been driving 8 hours earlier in the day, had to get some sleep. Just logged in and the wait time is 390 minutes!
So much for bringing the kits (including a spare) with me. At least there are local tests readily available, family members here report - guess what I am doing today.
Oh, and after sitting on hold with the customer service number (30 minutes and counting), agent offers me an apology, understands my "frustration", it's first-come first-served, her advice is just to log in and sit on the computer! Off to get that local alternative.
Considering reporting them to the FTC and my local state's attorney as a COVD-related scam. (At least I am not flying American!)

lskohn Aug 6, 2021 11:00 pm

"Priority queue"?

Originally Posted by Hammerklavier (Post 33471157)
Left it running and went out to dinner. When I came back I had a link to reconnect in a priority queue, which got me in with a proctor in 2 minutes or so, phew!

What's this priority queue? My mic and camera connected fine, but I never got a link to a priority queue, even after the 178 minutes that I was told I'd have to wait 8 hours ago. Now of course it's 377 minutes.