Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
CHECK THIS LINK FOR YOUR LOT NUMBER ON YOUR BinaxNOW Covid Tests for the extended expiration date:
  • Lot 195-200: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%84%A2%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Upda te%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en
  • Lot 195-200 and 195-100: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/scrtechs-0381-v8-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-home-test-product.pdf
  • Lot 195-000: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

Previously, it was on https://ohio.emed.com/ but the link has been removed.

The good news is that as of mid-Dec 2021, Abbott Labs is apparently shipping only kits with printed expiration dates well into 2022.

*Hat Tip to poster Blue Skye

Print Wikipost

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
This one? https://www.health.nd.gov/sites/www/..._Extension.pdf

I thought someone here tried to look a kit up on the extension list, and it was not listed here.
Yes. My lot is not included in that document so I am assuming that means the expiration date on the package is correct.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Countrygirl
So what should I do now that I’m stuck with these old tests! Any ideas?
thank you
Use them when/if you think or somebody else you know thinks they have covid. That way they don't need to leave their home to find out and will know in 15 minutes. They're not actually expired, they will still work after the expiration date. So, it's not a waste of money, it's just a waste of money if you were planning on using them a year for now, which most people buy them for upcoming trips. So, it's not a waste to have them for just in case.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:27 am

I know but it cost me almost $200 for the tests so then if I have to pay again at a clinic, that’s a lot of money. Plus, the tests you can purchase OTC without the proctor are much cheaper if you just need it for your own use or information.
MSPeconomist and remaxmac like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I know but it cost me almost $200 for the tests so then if I have to pay again at a clinic, that’s a lot of money. Plus, the tests you can purchase OTC without the proctor are much cheaper if you just need it for your own use or information.
Yes the ones at pharmacies are cheaper, but you asked what can you do with the ones "you" have. They aren't worthless.

If they gave you all your $200 back, I doubt you would just throw them in the trash.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:41 am

Oh yes, sorry, I am very appreciative of all the replies and advice given here to me.
so sorry if it sounded otherwise!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:35 am

Oh yes, sorry, I am very appreciative of all the replies and advice given here to me.
so sorry if it sounded otherwise!
It's no problem at all. I can certainly understand your situation, but I always try to make something good out of a bad situation. I can say this, at least you're in a good position of having those tests at your disposal for if you ever need them or anyone else you know may need them immediately. So, no matter the costs, you can't put a price on it for a peace of mind knowing you can test right now to find out if you have covid. Best regards.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mannytabloid
My reading of the FDA letter is that the expiration date on the sticker is incorrect and should be read as three months later. I have two tests that were manufactured in February 2021 with a listed expiration as October 2021, but with the FDA's revised guidance should now be valid until February 2022.

Still - if you can get a refund or a newer replacement, that wouldn't be a terrible option either.
I think I got some from the same batch! I didn't realize until I saw these posts, ordered 6 pack (min order) in July for a trip this week. Delivered 7/20/21 and expires on 10/3/2021! There are 3 of us traveling so I have a spare in case any of need to test 2x but with the phone issues, we may have to go to a clinic anyway. If that happens, I will be requesting a refund.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Update from emed.com on their delays - down to 8 minutes

Got a response today to my email Sunday night requesting refund for Binax Home Card Test kits that proved useless because of their telehealth wait times over the weekend (and short expiration dates - have to check on the batch numbers to see whether they're covered by the FDA notice). Emed agreed to provide refund, after assuring me that they have brought on more staff and wait times are now down to 8 minutes.
Sigh. Happy travels, everyone!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Yes. My lot is not included in that document so I am assuming that means the expiration date on the package is correct.
Mine's not either. Sigh. I just wanted to say I truly appreciate all the quick, helpful advice in this forum. I am so grateful for FT!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:32 pm

Having just returned from visiting several countries in Europe, I can confirm that rapid antigen tests are available all over the place, for very little cost. Many of these test centers provide a QR code with the test, which is also useful for easy entry into numerous places without needing to bother trying to use the CDC card (at least for the final 2-3 days of your trip). I was planning to purchase a couple of these kits from Walgreens before my departure, but fortunately, they were out of stock and I did not have any need for them in the end.
mxracer95 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by downinit
Having just returned from visiting several countries in Europe, I can confirm that rapid antigen tests are available all over the place, for very little cost.
Unfortunately this is still not true for all EU countries. For example, in Finland private clinics typically charge 200-300 Euros for a test per person, although some lower cost options in less convenient locations can be around 100 euros. Finnair recently started providing testing appointments for only EUR 65, but they are fully booked about 2 weeks out and the location is not easy to reach. Being able to do the BinaxNow home test makes a huge difference for a family of 4! The second issue is that the deep nasal swabs can be downright torturous, resulting in hours or days of headaches and traumatized children. It is the most pain I have personally endured since childbirth.
districtRich likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
Unfortunately this is still not true for all EU countries. For example, in Finland private clinics typically charge 200-300 Euros for a test per person, although some lower cost options in less convenient locations can be around 100 euros. Finnair recently started providing testing appointments for only EUR 65, but they are fully booked about 2 weeks out and the location is not easy to reach. Being able to do the BinaxNow home test makes a huge difference for a family of 4! The second issue is that the deep nasal swabs can be downright torturous, resulting in hours or days of headaches and traumatized children. It is the most pain I have personally endured since childbirth.
That's unfortunate, but a lot of the staff doing this testing don't have the proper experience. It's a common complaint of many travelers. I was lucky, haven't had any issues so far. fingers crossed.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Had an issue with a test and they have now sent us an entire 6 pack due to the one defective test. What we didn't have is an issue getting through to do our tests on 8/7 at around 3-4 pm Paris time.

Originally Posted by channonc
Wow. We used ours in early July for our return trip from Paris and waited only seconds. We have a trip to Greece planned later this mont, I guess I’ll need to figure out local testing options as a backup. Not at all thrilled that all these tests we bought might be useless.
15 minute antigen tests are widely available in Greek pharmacies for approximately 20 Euros. If that had been widely the case before, we probably wouldn't have gotten the AG cards.

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Jerks. They promised me 9 months and these expire in 3.
They are all extended to 12 months.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A

They are all extended to 12 months.
That's what I was told too. But, going forward I have no plans to use them as I initially intended. I'll just use them to self-test whenever I feel I need to. I'll just get tests done at the airports.

On edit: If nothing else we all have some "Covid Souvenirs" to pass on to our great grandkids
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:06 pm

Be careful because even though the Bimax tests are extended by 12 months, that’s from the date of manufacture, not the date of expiration. So if the tests that you buy are already expiring in 2 or 3 months, it’s not a 12 month extension on that date. It’s from the original date of manufacture, so maybe you get 2 additional months;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.