Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Have you used BinaxNow Home Test to successfully transit in Germany?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you used BinaxNow Home Test to successfully transit in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I wasn't suggesting deliberately squashing it completely flat, but the first time we traveled with it I put the test boxes into another box because I had no idea what was inside. That took up a LT of extra room in our cases.
Could you give me a ballpark figure of how much it can be safely compressed? I'm backpacking thru France from July 14 thru August 11, and I'm debating taking a test kit with me just for the convenience factor (now that I know I can just buy one kit at certain Walgreens. Thanks Downinit!). The only rub is that space is at a premium and things will get jostled a lot. I can protect things against getting crushed as long as they're compact, so it would help a lot to know how much it can be compressed.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lobo411
Could you give me a ballpark figure of how much it can be safely compressed? I'm backpacking thru France from July 14 thru August 11, and I'm debating taking a test kit with me just for the convenience factor (now that I know I can just buy one kit at certain Walgreens. Thanks Downinit!). The only rub is that space is at a premium and things will get jostled a lot. I can protect things against getting crushed as long as they're compact, so it would help a lot to know how much it can be compressed.
IMHO, the box is at least 4x as large as it truly needs to be. I'd say it could easily be 1/2 the height and 1/2 the width.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:53 am

Is there a definitive answer to this? I have an unvaccinated 11-year-old child. Can he transit Germany with this test?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:03 am

IMHO, the box is at least 4x as large as it truly needs to be. I'd say it could easily be 1/2 the height and 1/2 the width.
Thanks! I bought one. I think I'll just pack it in the backpack and let it get squished down, then. IE, crumple zones! I am a bit concerned about the usefulness of the kit, though, since the package says it should be stored at a max temp of 86F until used. When you're traveling, you can't guarantee stable storage temps. We'll see.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by downinit
I just wanted to mention that the proctored test is available at certain Walgreens in CA, NJ, and NY. They are available as individual and two-packs, but you can get as many as you want and have them assigned to different people. Since I only needed four tests for two people, it is actually cheaper and faster to go this route for me ($140 for 4 vs $165 for 6).
Thanks for the info! I decided to give this a shot. It was an experience, to be sure. The Walgreens staff were helpful and it took them about 15 mins to figure things out because I was the second person to try this. And they told me that the first person who tried it got the wrong kit (the non-proctored version). So the process is:

1. Go to the website linked above, and generate a request form. The form has instructions at the bottom which the pharmacy will need in step 3.
2. Go to the pharmacy and give the pharmacist your form. They only have the non-proctored kits in the retail area, so the pharmacist will have to get the proctored kit for you from the prescription drug area.
3. The pharmacist will have to generate a prescription for the kit first, and then they can sell it to you. The register won't be able to scan it without this step.
Xyzzy and nwflyboy like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Just to confirm, you can use the BinaxNow test for travel from the US? It seems intended for returning to the US, but there are no restrictions on using it for the outbound?

Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyergeek
Just to confirm, you can use the BinaxNow test for travel from the US? It seems intended for returning to the US, but there are no restrictions on using it for the outbound?
You need to check the specific requirements of the destination country.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k

Please see post #26 above.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by PlowJockey
Please see post #26 above.
Saw that post...just wanted to confirm since I will be flying on AA to UK, not UA to Germany and was asking about eMed's requirements, not the destination country's requirement. In other words, when you do the supervised test, do they confirm that you are returning to the US only? Or do they not care?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Saw that post...just wanted to confirm since I will be flying on AA to UK, not UA to Germany and was asking about eMed's requirements, not the destination country's requirement. In other words, when you do the supervised test, do they confirm that you are returning to the US only? Or do they not care?
eMed does nt seem to care. I recall they do ask which airline you are flying on -- as part of why you are taking a test -- but they don't ask for flight numbers or anything else.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eMed does nt seem to care. I recall they do ask which airline you are flying on -- as part of why you are taking a test -- but they don't ask for flight numbers or anything else.
I just select the 'Other' option.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
I just select the 'Other' option.

FWIW, I indicated I was flying on UA. I just checked and my results PDF does not contain any information concerning why I wanted to be tested.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I think those categories are for reporting purposes,
and they do not want to imply test is
approved for all outbound like it is for inbound per CDC. I simply chose “other” when testing for the IAD-FRA leg.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Different reports?

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
BinaxNow is supervised and good enough for the CDC. Attached is how the lab report looks like. I’ll try this with Lufthansa in a couple of days, but will have a backup from CVS.
FlyingfromDC, thank you for sharing your experience and continuing to monitor the thread. Italy changed its requirements right before I flew so I didn't end up needing the test on the outbound but it was great to know I had options.

I'm curious about how you got this version of the report - all I could find from the Navica app or the eMed site was a .png version of the pass and the details. (It was a pain getting it printed in Croatia for my flight home, and a good thing I did so because the BA outstation folks at the airport weren't interested in anything I had to show on my phone - but maybe something that looked that official might have worked?) Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Emails with result say this - not sure how official that printout looks...

Need a printed result?
We've got you covered. You can either save or print your results straight from the results page in your app, or by signing into our NAVICAweb portal using your account information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.