Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Have you used BinaxNow Home Test to successfully transit in Germany?

Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

Flying United from the U.S. to Frankfurt this summer, and looking to confirm if anyone has had their BinaxNow Home Test result on the NAVICA app accepted by the German authorities during transit? It appears to meet their requirements. My final destination country will be fine with it.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Following - same question regarding acceptance by AA and Rome for the "quarantine-free" flights DFW-FCO.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is this a home rapid test?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Is this a home rapid test?
Yes, it is the video proctored antigen test accepted by the CDC for return to the U.S. Just looking for experiences with this one for German transit. Are they used to seeing the certificates on the NAVICA app?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:30 pm

I used the BinaxNow test to return back to the US today. Unfortunately did not transit through Germany.

But a couple of points about the Navica app:
1) It calculates the days since the negative test differently as compared to the CDC. Normally a negative test within 3 days is allowed. The Navica app starts counting 1 day earlier. So in this case you might be better off with a print out instead of showing the App
2) The share function for negative results on Navica doesn't seem to work properly from an iPad version of Navica. Works much better in the iPhone version. I couldn't get it to share the results from my iPad properly
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sgopal2
But a couple of points about the Navica app:
1) It calculates the days since the negative test differently as compared to the CDC. Normally a negative test within 3 days is allowed. The Navica app starts counting 1 day earlier. So in this case you might be better off with a print out instead of showing the App
2) The share function for negative results on Navica doesn't seem to work properly from an iPad version of Navica. Works much better in the iPhone version. I couldn't get it to share the results from my iPad properly
Thanks for these tips! I plan to have results printed out as well as saved as screenshots in case of wifi trouble. I have the app on my iPhone.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
At this point self administered tests are not accepted, and I would guess that they wont be in the future. Stick with a PCR test.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
At this point self administered tests are not accepted, and I would guess that they wont be in the future. Stick with a PCR test.
The latest guidance from Germany states that antigen tests are accepted, not just PCR: Alternatively, a negative antigen rapid test result in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish. Following a stay in a risk area or high incidence area, the test must have been carried out no more than 48 hours prior to entry.

The antigen tests accepted then are elaborated on further, and one of the requirements is that the third party administering the test checks the ID of the person taking the test. This is done by eMed via video who we purchased the Abbott BinaxNow Home Test from. Lufthansa guidance on tests also says that the test m
ust be certified by a doctor or a recognised laboratory - again the eMed issued test checks a box here. It does not say that telehealth option is not allowed.

Thats why Im wondering if anyone from the U.S. has presented this test result from eMed to German authorities, and has either had success or ran into a problem when in transit through Frankfurt or Munich?
Xyzzy and sophialite like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
The latest guidance from Germany states that antigen tests are accepted, not just PCR: Alternatively, a negative antigen rapid test result in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish. Following a stay in a risk area or high incidence area, the test must have been carried out no more than 48 hours prior to entry.

The antigen tests accepted then are elaborated on further, and one of the requirements is that the third party administering the test checks the ID of the person taking the test. This is done by eMed via video who we purchased the Abbott BinaxNow Home Test from. Lufthansa guidance on tests also says that the test m
ust be certified by a doctor or a recognised laboratory - again the eMed issued test checks a box here. It does not say that telehealth option is not allowed.

Thats why Im wondering if anyone from the U.S. has presented this test result from eMed to German authorities, and has either had success or ran into a problem when in transit through Frankfurt or Munich?
Do you get a piece of paper/digital with the lab signature, result and test accuracy?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deckter
Do you get a piece of paper/digital with the lab signature, result and test accuracy?
You get both a digital pass and a test certificate for printing. Im not sure if accuracy and specificity are included in the certificate, so I will print out test specs from Abbott separately (just in case).

Anyone use this yet at a German airport?
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FYI - this is what eMed is offering. It's video mnitored as described above and each test kit comes with an app for verification of the test kit. (United is accepting the app display for use in clearing passengers to board for re-entering the US.)
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
(United is accepting the app display for use in clearing passengers to board for re-entering the US.)
While re-entering the U.S. seems to be fine with this test, I would love to know if anyone has had trouble with United using this test result for OUTBOUND flight though? I have been able to confirm that vaccination card is now accepted for transit in Germany in lieu of the negative test. The issue then is with kids who are older than 6 (not exempt per German rules) but under 12 (not eligible for the vaccine). Mine are terrified of the nasal swab in a lab, so the home video test would be much gentler and easier on them.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
While re-entering the U.S. seems to be fine with this test, I would love to know if anyone has had trouble with United using this test result for OUTBOUND flight though? I have been able to confirm that vaccination card is now accepted for transit in Germany in lieu of the negative test. The issue then is with kids who are older than 6 (not exempt per German rules) but under 12 (not eligible for the vaccine). Mine are terrified of the nasal swab in a lab, so the home video test would be much gentler and easier on them.
Indeed - those are excellent questions. FWIW, the tests CVS gives at their drive through windows in the US are monitored self-swab tests. Look here under "How is my sample for testing collected?"

I hpe this helps...
Old Jun 4, 2021, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Update: I just called the airline to ask them (United) and the rep read through the guidance that was just updated on June 2. She said their agents are trained to only look for two things: that the test type is correct (antigen in the case of BinaxNow Home Test), and that the result will not be older than 48 hrs upon arrival in Germany. They see lots of different certificates on a daily basis. Home tests are not specifically banned when performed under supervision. In fact, she said she knows there are testing services that go to the home of the passenger to deliver a kit and again to pick it up.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:50 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Update: I just called the airline to ask them (United) and the rep read through the guidance that was just updated on June 2. She said their agents are trained to only look for two things: that the test type is correct (antigen in the case of BinaxNow Home Test), and that the result will not be older than 48 hrs upon arrival in Germany. They see lots of different certificates on a daily basis. Home tests are not specifically banned when performed under supervision. In fact, she said she knows there are testing services that go to the home of the passenger to deliver a kit and again to pick it up.

The question is what the German authorities will do, will they accept looking at your app or maybe a printout from the app or a PDF of a printout shown on your phone screen?

Does BinaxNow generate a QR code?

The issue is, even if they don't accept a home test, why would some random testing lab in the US be more reliable to them?

France is requiring proof of vaccination AND test results from Americans, including Antigen test results.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.