Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Have you used BinaxNow Home Test to successfully transit in Germany?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you used BinaxNow Home Test to successfully transit in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Has anyone been able to buy one kit of 6 for $150 and use it for 2 people or is it one kit = one name on results?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Has anyone been able to buy one kit of 6 for $150 and use it for 2 people or is it one kit = one name on results?
yes according to this thread
Experiences with self administered [supervised] antigen test for entry into the US?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
You could use the 6 kits for 6 different people if yu wanted to. When using the tests they scan the QR code on the test to ensure it's one of theirs, but that's it. I've done this. It worked fine.
nwflyboy and PbodyPhoto like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:22 pm

Me too. I can confirm its possible to split up the test kits.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lufthansa is currently testing video supervised (15 min antigen quick) tests at home, so they should show up soon.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Worked well for FRA-IAD!

A member of my family used BinaxNow today to fly back to the U.S. with a connection in Frankfurt. The first leg was on Lufthansa. Home test result was approved in the United Travel Ready app 2.5 hrs before departure, and the Lufthansa check-in agent did not even want to see the test. In Frankfurt United did not want to see the test again, they knew it was fine after scanning the passport.

The home antigen test appears to be a great solution for flying back to the U.S. via Germany!
progol likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the thing is bulky - 6 pack takes almost a quarter of my carryon bag space!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:41 pm

If you're fully vaxxed you shouldn't need a test - are you saying border control in Frankfurt is demanding that anyway even from vaccinated individuals?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:04 am

I just wanted to mention that the proctored test is available at certain Walgreens in CA, NJ, and NY. They are available as individual and two-packs, but you can get as many as you want and have them assigned to different people. Since I only needed four tests for two people, it is actually cheaper and faster to go this route for me ($140 for 4 vs $165 for 6).
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan1113
If you're fully vaxxed you shouldn't need a test - are you saying border control in Frankfurt is demanding that anyway even from vaccinated individuals?
A couple of weeks ago border control in Frankfurt still insisted on tests even though they should not have. This week they appear to be more
consistent. However, unvaccinated children 6 and older still need to produce negative test.
BinaxNow is a lifesaver for that.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Why would you travel with the entire 6-pack? It is recommended that 1 extra kit is brought along just in case the first test taken for return travel is inconclusive. So in our family each person used 1 test for outbound travel and carried 2 along for the trip.

I admit it could get bulky if carrying tests for multiple kids.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by azepine00
Having opened and used some of these tests I now know that the boxes are mostly empty. On the trip I'm currently on I had no problem crushing the two boxes we've got with us to make more room. The little fil packet inside isn't going to care.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The little fil packet inside isn't going to care.
Inside the little foil packet is basically a piece of cardboard impregnated with two different sets of antibodies. I would not recommend applying too much pressure on packet. If the cardboard breaks, then there is no way that the assay will work properly. The packet is very thin -- probably only 1 mm. The depth of the entire box is dictated by the small dropper bottle inside. This contains the liquid to activate the lateral flow assay. If you want to minimize the size, suggest to take out the bottle out of each box, and then flatten. You can mix and match the bottles among different kits without a problem. However the front of each BinaxNow card has a QR code. The reps will sometimes ask to compare the code to the back of the box.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't suggesting deliberately squashing it completely flat, but the first time we traveled with it I put the test boxes into another box because I had no idea what was inside. That took up a LT of extra room in our cases.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I used the binax kit for travel to the UK. The american airlines check in agent was concerned because the results don't say when the test was conducted, only when the result was generated. Managed to smooth it over by confirming it was a rapid test but it would help if the test time was listed.
The result generation time was also wrong, wrong in my favor but worth confirming if it could pose an issue for anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.