Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by outgoing
I don't think unvaccinated people care about these restrictions domestically :-) I think that we're pretty much done with vaccination campaign in the US unless there will be a new big scare/variant. Cases are already rising again in states with low vaccination rates and I don't think local authorities will do anything about it. I think one argument for travel ban (of the FEDs thinking) is that we don't want to "import" more trouble (or that we don't want to deal with that) but it could be a weak one given that already 10+% of cases in the US are the delta variant. Frankly, from economic perspective, I'm also not sure if we need European tourists given how red hot the economy is in terms of domestic consumption and that we have mismatch between demand and supply of labor (if you're an essential worked you generally can get in to my understanding with a bunch of paperwork).
It’s not about needing “European” (remember Europe is a continent) tourists. It’s about mutual respect.

I have to ask what harm I, my family and many other families are doing by visiting America, spending our money (which would otherwise not enter the American economy) and leaving? Why would you have the desire to ban innocent people,
artemis and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Markie
Boris says unlikely - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...les-early.htmlHowever, he declined to rule out re-imposing draconian curbs later in the year as he warned 'some new horror' could emerge which 'we simply haven't budgeted for'.

Meanwhile, the PM also dashed hopes of international travel being opened up in time for summer holidays as he admitted foreign trips this year will be 'difficult' – despite ministers drawing up plans to scrap quarantine rules for returning double-jabbed Britons.

Travel experts said they fear ministers will not 'open things up very much at all until August' as the industry faces another disastrous summer. Mr Johnson said it is his priority to keep Britain 'safe' and block dangerous new Covid variants from entering the country, which means anyone looking to fly abroad in the coming months is likely to face 'hassle' and 'delays'.
Now I'm really convinced your government is doing whatever it can to put all the travel related industries into bankruptcy. This is beyond silly and I truly feel for you Britons who want to travel
LETTERBOY, Owenc and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Is is possible Biden isn't opening the US to vaccinated Europeans is because he and his Fauci team believe the Astra Zeneca vaccine isn't as good as Pfizer or Moderna?
I think they’re not opening because as we have seen there are American people who don’t want foreign tourists. The pandemic has brought those feelings to the surface and exposed them.

I now question if America or indeed Canada will reopen to foreign tourists at all in the next two or three years.

It’s clear that governments have latched on to variants and case rates as an excuse to keep restrictions in place. As above we have various virus year after year, yet this particular virus is the one that they have all latched on to.
artemis and DL77 like this.

Last edited by Owenc; Jun 21, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Now I'm really convinced your government is doing whatever it can to put all the travel related industries into bankruptcy. This is beyond silly and I truly feel for you Britons who want to travel
All governments have exercised too much control.

The British government did little to support or subside the retail sector as well. We have lost many chain stores that have been around for decades because of this.
LHR FLYER likes this.

Last edited by Owenc; Jun 21, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Owenc
I think they’re not opening because as we have seen there are American people who don’t want foreign tourists. The pandemic has brought those feelings to the surface and exposed them.

I now question if America or indeed Canada will reopen to foreign tourists at all in the next two or three years.

It’s clear that governments have latched on to variants and case rates as an excuse to keep restrictions in place. As above we have various virus year after year, yet this particular virus is the one that they have all latched on to.
Well that's too bad and shame on those people. I have family in England and they can't visit me. Really sucks.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I think they’re not opening because as we have seen there are American people who don’t want foreign tourists.
Then they would be royally p-- off to learn that there have been foreign tourists to the US this entire time. Myself included.

And somehow I really doubt that those people outnumber the people who at least partly depend(ed) on EU & UK tourists for their livelihood.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
I don't think this is right. Some of the other viruses mentioned above are not as deadly/dangerous/easily spreading by air unless you subscribe to the view that COVID-19 is "just a flu". Then we simply disagree but I think data also disagrees with that view of the world.

I don't think US will open anytime soon. I think this is part local politics (both on the republican side of "Chinese virus" and democrat side of now that we have stuff "under control" let's not let people in who could bring new strains in), part fear of the unknown, part wanting to avoid fourth wave, part the state of the economy which is oddly good. I also think that EU/Europe will actually close again as the cases will start going up. Finally, I think that testing on entry to the US is there to stay for quite some time even if they try the "controlled opening" (and that to me is actually quite a pain in the bottom so I just travel domestically).

Last edited by outgoing; Jun 21, 2021 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:39 pm

I don't have any special inside knowledge, but from my perspective as an American the travel bans really don't seem to be on most people's radars. I don't get a sense that the more conservative among us want them to remain in place because they hate "foreigners," I think it's more they don't know anyone overseas, they don't travel internationally, they aren't up on the latest travel news, and it's simply not relevant to their lives. Combine that with the fact domestic travel is doing incredibly well and I just don't see a lot of public pressure to lift the bans the same way there has been in Europe.

Having said that, I think the restrictions are asinine, nonsensical, and punitive.
artemis, lhrsfo, LETTERBOY and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not clear to me that there is any significant constituency of Americans who is worried about foreign tourists from a COVID perspective. To the extent that there are some people like that at this point, they're probably all in the kinds of places where 80% of the population is already vaccinated.

The reality is that there just isn't a lot of discussion of that kind of thing in this country.
artemis, 84fiero and outgoing like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Worth remembering that for many years people who were HIV+ were prevented from visiting the US. There is some history of excluding visitors based on medical conditions.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
All governments have exercised too much control.

The British government did little to support or subside the retail sector as well. We have lost many chain stores that have been around for decades because of this.
the chain stores were already in trouble, covid was just the final straw, but the high street has been struggling for years as people shop online.

retail actually had a fair amount of support with furlough, rent holidays and rates holidays. Not sure the airlines etc had all that. Plus most retail could still trade online - if people can’t fly, selling tickets online doesn’t help.
outgoing likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Markie
Boris says unlikely - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...les-early.htmlHowever, he declined to rule out re-imposing draconian curbs later in the year as he warned 'some new horror' could emerge which 'we simply haven't budgeted for'.
This was a very poor response from the PM. He accepted the premise of the question and fell into a trap. All that's reported now is that Johnson can't rule out more lockdowns. He should have pivoted and given a stock answer to a different question.
LETTERBOY and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles
It’s not just the ban, it’s also the discrimination to non immigrants visaholders and property owners. We work here, our kids go to school here, we pay taxes and the IRS considers us residents. Yet we can’t reenter directly nor renew our visas right now, we are still stuck!!!!
Come on just a little effort, easy to understand! It’s not just about tourism, hell!
They must begin to realize how unfair and frustrating it can be to see Americans, even unvaccinated, who go to eat spaghetti and sunbathe in Italy while EU citizens, even vaccinated, cannot even go back to work or to meet family members. How disgusting!
artemis, pilot007, lhrsfo and 4 others like this.

Last edited by DL77; Jun 21, 2021 at 3:37 pm
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by DL77
We work here, our kids go to school here, we pay tax and the IRS considers us residents. Yet we can’t reenter directly.
Ditto. Very difficult situation at the moment.
lewis_m and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Originally Posted by DL77
It’s not just the ban, it’s also the discrimination to non immigrants visaholders and property owners. We work here, our kids go to school here, we pay tax and the IRS considers us residents. Yet we can’t reenter directly nor renew our visas right now, we are still stuck!!!!
Come on just a little effort, easy to understand! It’s not just about tourism, hell!
I sympathize as for years I was on H1B and let's just put it nicely with limited rights here (including at the airports!). I think it makes sense to let H/L and some J visas in (potentially other categories too). I actually don't understand why they have not done this. Have you tried going through third country? If you really need/want to get in then it seems like a perfect opportunity for some holidays/workation in Mexico or Caribbean or some Balkan countries? I think this is how we brought in one of our new hires on H1B.
artemis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.