Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDCs website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:30 pm

Well, time will tell.

The U.S.-EU summit on Tuesday gave new hope for Europeans hoping to head west.

"We have received reassurances that this is a high-priority issue for the U.S. administration," Jahnz said, adding that a joint working group met Friday with the aim to "reinitiate safe and sustainable travel between the EU and the U.S."
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/18/10081...ome-everywhere
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Markie
Even if they open, it may be that not all vaccines will be accepted by the US, as the Astra-Zeneca one (that I had) is not CDC approved.
Apparently according to the CDC's definition of "fully vaccinated" ( https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...accinated.html ):

In general, people are considered fully vaccinated:

This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines. This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford). (COLOURING OF TEXT IS MINE)
Seems like non-FDA approved vaccines are a "footnote" and there is a chance a lot of state and local health authorities (eg. New York) as well as private venues (eg. Bruce Springsteen) might not pay attention to this when coming up with their own regulations.

Note that Los Angeles County also has their own definition of "fully vaccinated" (Travel Advisory and Guidance - LA County Department of Public Health)

Delay travel until you’re fully vaccinated.

If you are eligible, get fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Wait at least two (2) weeks after getting your second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine or after getting the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine to travel—it takes time for your body to build protection after any vaccination.

If you do not wait as described above, you are considered NOT fully vaccinated.

Note: You are also considered fully vaccinated two (2) weeks after you finished the series of COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (for example, AstraZeneca/Oxford and Sinopharm) (COLOURING OF TEXT IS MINE).
lobo411 and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: Le Club Accor
Originally Posted by lobo411
.... I am keeping my fingers crossed for this and wait till Tuesday !
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
People with AstraZeneca don't count as vaccinated when wanting access to this event in the US. It appears to be a state-wide NY rule (as AZ is not FDA approved).

"Bruce Springsteen fans with AstraZeneca vaccine to be turned away from New York theatre shows"
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1868373.html
It looks like Bruce Spingsteen now allows both FDA and WHO vaccines.

https://www.jujamcyn.com/springsteenFAQ/

Do I need to be fully vaccinated to attend SPRINGSTEEN ON BROADWAY?

Following amended New York State guidelines, we are now permitted to welcome guests who meet the following requirements.

Guests will need to be fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO approved vaccine in order to attend SPRINGSTEEN ON BROADWAY and must show proof of vaccination at their time of entry into the theatre with their valid ticket. “Fully vaccinated” means the performance date you are attending must be:
  • at least 14 days after your second dose of a FDA or WHO approved two dose COVID-19 vaccine, or
  • at least 14 days after your single dose of a FDA or WHO approved single dose COVID-19 vaccine.
(Bolding is mine)
adrianlondon, lobo411 and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:33 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
But the Chinese vaccines are on the WHO list and the Russian one may end up there too.

Really people should just say no to the Chinese vaccines.
duluthDL, lobo411 and sbandy like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by exp

Really people should just say no to the Chinese vaccines.
Off-subject but why?
Many of my friends/relatives, etc... had the Chinese Sinovac vaccine because it was the first vaccine available to them.
Why should they be penalized because of the country that manufactured the vaccine?

I am sorry but I would disagree with your comment this time.
Sorry but the purpose is to vaccinate everyone as fast as we could, not to make Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Moderna or AstroZeneca rich.
Owenc and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Off-subject but why?
Many of my friends/relatives, etc... had the Chinese Sinovac vaccine because it was the first vaccine available to them.
Why should they be penalized because of the country that manufactured the vaccine?
The concern with Sinovac isn't the country that manufactured it, it's the lack of verified trial data. Some reports have its effectiveness at 50%, and that it is even less against the Delta variant.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: Some
Off-subject but why?

Sorry but the purpose is to vaccinate everyone as fast as we could, not to make Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Moderna or AstroZeneca rich.
Ironic you should say this when Russia is engaging in clear price gauging in selling Sputnik to developing countries and Sinopharm / Sinovac arguably have done similar at times, whilst AstraZeneca have committed to make the vaccine available at cost in developing countries whilst the pandemic is ongoing...

The reason they should be penalised is because there is little concrete proof it's as effective as the vaccines in use in the US to date. Yes, it's not 'fair' but I fail to see how this is materially different from banning all non-US residents travelling directly from Schengen/the UK to the US to date, which you seem to have been able to rationalise in this thread. Well, apart from the fact that there is a scientific argument for one whilst it makes almost no scientific sense to ban someone fully vaccinated with Pfizer in the UK/EU from travelling to the US, of course...
lobo411, 84fiero and sbandy like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:37 am

Sinovac is obviously better than nothing. But every study on it by reliable researchers seems to show a much, much lower efficacy rate than Pfizer/Moderna/J&J/AZ and even Sputnik.

Its quite logically/statistically justified for countries to not recognise someone whos had Sinovac as being fully vaccinated as a result.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:07 am

Moderna or AstroZeneca rich.
Moderna is not enforcing its patents, so anyone in the world who wants to manufacture their vaccine without paying a cent is perfectly free to do so.

AZ sells its vaccine at cost, which is less than the cost of a Happy Meal at McDonald's.

The Chinese and Russian vaccines aren't licensed in the west because the Chinese and Russians haven't applied for it. One can speculate as to the reason for this:

1. Maybe they're borderline ineffective
2. Maybe they don't want to allow Western inspection of their manufacturing process, for reasons?
3. Maybe they don't want to remind the world that Western governments (including FDA and EMA) are free, democratic, and trustworthy, and Chinese and Russian authoritarian systems are not.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Off-subject but why?

The reason to be skeptical about Chinese vaccines is the empirical evidence of early highly vaccinated countries which still have high cases (and deaths): Chile, Bahrain, Seychelles and others. The common thread is that they all used Chinese vaccines.
This was acknowledged by George Gao, head of China's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who said in April, "The efficacy of the existing vaccines is not high".
adrianlondon, outgoing and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: Cattle Class
Originally Posted by gioannis13
.... I am keeping my fingers crossed for this and wait till Tuesday !
What's on Tuesday?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Awtas
What's on Tuesday?
When I'll pay you for my hamburger?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:55 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
China has given over 1 billion shots of its vaccines.

Most of those people are going to have to get vaccinated again. Probably not third shots of their current vaccines either.

Yeah developing countries often have no choice. But apparently a lot of people in HK for instance got Sinovac, while a majority got Pfizer.

Still, about 40% of 3 million shots have been Sinovac. Really unfortunate choice, the people in HK are not poor and they do have a choice.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by exp
China has given over 1 billion shots of its vaccines.

Most of those people are going to have to get vaccinated again. Probably not third shots of their current vaccines either.

Yeah developing countries often have no choice. But apparently a lot of people in HK for instance got Sinovac, while a majority got Pfizer.

Still, about 40% of 3 million shots have been Sinovac. Really unfortunate choice, the people in HK are not poor and they do have a choice.
No. Most of us are given the vaccine that the health authority provides us. We have no choice.
annihilation and Billyfergus like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.