Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gioannis13
...TO ADMINS ! Lock this thread till September , no reason to spend cloud usage for @@@@ !
... is your problem? Just unsubscribe and leave it as it is.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: Skymiles
It's just my feeling, no information. I believe that a new European closure to the Americans is easier than an opening of the United States to Europeans. Just my feeling ...
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I didn’t realize CA was that low and wouldn’t expect that. Perhaps I should look at Texas.

Isn’t it believed hers immunity is achieved at 70%?
Nobody knows exactly when herd immunity is reached. It depends on a lot of factors, such as how many people have achieved natural immunity, what variant of the virus is dominant, how long the vaccines provide protection, how much protection the various vaccines provide against the current dominant variant of the virus, etc. Just take a look at Israel. It was assumed that Israel had reached herd immunity with their strong vaccination program, and then when the delta variant arrived, infection numbers are rising again, and a mask mandate is being reintroduced.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:34 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by RedChili
Nobody knows exactly when herd immunity is reached. It depends on a lot of factors, such as how many people have achieved natural immunity, what variant of the virus is dominant, how long the vaccines provide protection, how much protection the various vaccines provide against the current dominant variant of the virus, etc. Just take a look at Israel. It was assumed that Israel had reached herd immunity with their strong vaccination program, and then when the delta variant arrived, infection numbers are rising again, and a mask mandate is being reintroduced.
Good luck to the US when the Delta variant takes hold. They probably won’t even reach our current (U.K.) vaccine numbers and it’s currently doing a number on us..18,270 new people had a confirmed positive test result reported on 26 June 2021.

Between 20 June 2021 and 26 June 2021, 98,460people had a confirmed positive test result. This shows an increase of 54.4% compared to the previous 7 days.
outgoing, Owenc, mikeyfly and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:08 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Howmuch
Many people me included do not fear Covid anymore than any other virus and believe that if you are under 70 the danger of dying from Covid 19 is probably no more than driving day to day.

The current obsession with vaccinating everyone including children when in reality most people have nothing to fear will also make people not just hesitant to take this jab but will make them determined never to take one.
Researchers at the University of Bergen carefully followed 312 people with confirmed cases of COVID-19 for at least six months. Of those, 247 had mild to moderate illnesses and isolated at home, never becoming sick enough to be admitted to a hospital. Six months after testing positive, 136 of the 247 (55 percent) still had lingering symptoms. And those 136 weren’t only in the older age groups. In fact, in all the age groups between 16 and over 60 years old, between 50 percent and 60 percent of COVID patients reported persistent symptoms.

For instance, of those between 16 and 30 years old, 52 percent (32 of 61) still suffered COVID-19 symptoms after six months. The most common symptoms were disturbed taste and/or smell, fatigue, difficulty breathing, difficulty concentrating, and memory problems.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...s-study-finds/

Summary: Millions have died, tens of millions more have long covid, including people under 30.

Yet the vaccine is more of a threat than the disease?
renila and Ericdeparis like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The chief medical officer of a testing company that has partnered with the CDC to deal with variant identification has said that given the circumstances it’s just a matter of time until a variant ends up working its way around even the Pfizer vaccinations for those fully vaccinated. And it was said in the context of acknowledging that the Pfizer vaccine is highly effective against the Indian/Delta variant too.

Sounds to me like that is a window into how openings could slow down or later even be reversed if it gets bad.

Various EU states have been pressuring hosted US diplomats for answers on a US opening. It’s been widespread enough that it says a few things about the state of affairs on both sides of the Atlantic.
DL77 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by exp
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...s-study-finds/

Summary: Millions have died, tens of millions more have long covid, including people under 30.

Yet the vaccine is more of a threat than the disease?
This isn't the thread for this but yes millions of people have died with an average of 82

I´ll take my chances being unvaccinated the odds are pretty good.

We are now seeing the deaths being confirmed from vaccines, blood clots, enlarged hearts in teens, I could go on but like I say this threads about the US reopening to the Schengen area and UK, my comments were referring to vaccine hesitancy and the UK and US look to be having issues going past 70% so waiting for more vaccinations isn't going to be a way forward.

I´ve got some serious money invested in the US and a full life there and I´m locked out like others here, if a vaccine was going to give me my life back i´d take one today even though i don’t want or need one but unfortunately it wont make any difference.

The problem now is political.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The chief medical officer of a testing company that has partnered with the CDC to deal with variant identification has said that given the circumstances it’s just a matter of time until a variant ends up working its way around even the Pfizer vaccinations for those fully vaccinated.
And in other news, the sky is blue and the sun is warm. Pretty much everyone expects a booster will be required at some point, much as flu shots are tuned to the dominant strains each year.
LETTERBOY, esledo, Owenc and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 10:49 am

I think as mentioned earlier in this thread there’s a point where vaccine take up will reach its conclusion and 70% seems about right looking at the way things are going with the most vaccinated countries.
Pres Biden set a goal, and I'm ok with a final push to try to meet it, even if we were to fall short. Goals should be lofty.

I'm very pro vaccine but won’t be taking this vaccine because it’s not a vaccine in the normal sense, and they are happy for us to know it’s still experimental and given without any liability whatsoever, this should be enough to make most rational people think before taking the vaccine even if Covid was a concern to them.
While I may have a different opinion here, and that's ok. I do, of course, agree that it's an individual decision. Irrespective of our differences on this issue, I certainly wouldn't hesitate for a moment to sit down and break bread with you.
DL77 and Howmuch like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PxC
Good luck to the US when the Delta variant takes hold. They probably won’t even reach our current (U.K.) vaccine numbers and it’s currently doing a number on us..18,270 new people had a confirmed positive test result reported on 26 June 2021.

Between 20 June 2021 and 26 June 2021, 98,460people had a confirmed positive test result. This shows an increase of 54.4% compared to the previous 7 days.
Our problem is over testing, surge testing and honest reporting!
Tim_T, renila, jp-mco and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The chief medical officer of a testing company that has partnered with the CDC to deal with variant identification has said that given the circumstances it’s just a matter of time until a variant ends up working its way around even the Pfizer vaccinations for those fully vaccinated. And it was said in the context of acknowledging that the Pfizer vaccine is highly effective against the Indian/Delta variant too.

Sounds to me like that is a window into how openings could slow down or later even be reversed if it gets bad.

Various EU states have been pressuring hosted US diplomats for answers on a US opening. It’s been widespread enough that it says a few things about the state of affairs on both sides of the Atlantic.
If this is the case people are going to have to learn to live with it. We can’t put our lives on hold permanently.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
To be honest, at this point a lot of the restrictions between the US and the UK are unwarranted. The majority of the at-risk population are vaccinated, and both nations have had an incredibly successful vaccination program. The lack of both nations to lift restrictions on vaccinated travelers is really damaging the public image of the efficacy of the vaccines altogether. I would go as far as saying it's bringing the travel industry to its knees without warrant. It's fine to keep the restrictions for unvaccinated travelers - but requiring tests for vax'd travelers is even silly at this point. Even if someone was to go to all the effort of faking a CDC card, the risk is beyond negligible.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:40 pm
exp
Suspended

This isn't the thread for this but yes millions of people have died with an average of 82

We are now seeing the deaths being confirmed from vaccines, blood clots, enlarged hearts in teens, I could go on but like I say this threads about the US reopening to the Schengen area and UK, my comments were referring to vaccine hesitancy and the UK and US look to be having issues going past 70% so waiting for more vaccinations isn't going to be a way forward.

I´ve got some serious money invested in the US and a full life there and I´m locked out like others here, if a vaccine was going to give me my life back i´d take one today even though i don’t want or need one but unfortunately it wont make any difference.

My guess is if they do allow nonessential travel from EU citizens or residents, vaccination will be required.

They don't have a test and quarantine regime set up and it would be difficult because there are so many major ports of entry to the US. And they never set up any kind of test and trace infrastructure either.

So that may be the next big complaint, that US requires vaccination of EU travelers.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:46 pm
exp
Suspended

BTW, do you have a cite for the average age of covid fatality around the world being 82?

You made the original claim that for people under a certain age, covid is not a threat at all. I cited a study that shows factually that your claim is wrong.

Then you made another claim about fatality.

You haven't proved cites for any of your claims.
renila and Ericdeparis like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Once there is an opening to the vaccinated, that should provide some comfort to the unvaccinated too that an opening for them too would follow at some point (if not at the same point). Once there is an easing of restrictions by the US, I expect further US liberalization becomes more likely than additional and longer lasting restrictions in the immediate aftermath of a US opening.
DL77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.