Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:34 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by casey89
And EU?
It's a DM article. Do not expect them to say anything that might put the EU in a positive light.
adrianlondon and alex67500 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Reports on Sky News in the UK regarding an easing of restrictions to Amber countries for Vaccinated Brits. If so, that would include the USA if we are then allowed in.

Airline shares are up quite sharply this morning, maybe due to this news. IAG currently trading 3.4% higher this morning
adrianlondon and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Reports on Sky News in the UK regarding an easing of restrictions to Amber countries for Vaccinated Brits. If so, that would include the USA if we are then allowed in.
... but we are talking here about UK policy (easing quarantine requirements for returning UK residents)? This does not affect US policy, whom do they allow in.
adrianlondon and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
... but we are talking here about UK policy (easing quarantine requirements for returning UK residents)? This does not affect US policy, whom do they allow in.
Not directly, but considering that the UK has had one of the strictest policies in the northern hemisphere and this announcement is less than 72 hours after that 'pensioner' left the UK, I think there is a chance that such an announcement would be based on reciprocity. I'm clearly speculating but so have most of the other 1000+ comments and I am looking for an optimistic angle.

I also ceded that this would only be relevant 'if we are allowed in' in my last post.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
Not directly, but considering that the UK has had one of the strictest policies in the northern hemisphere and this announcement is less than 72 hours after that 'pensioner' left the UK, I think there is a chance that such an announcement would be based on reciprocity. I'm clearly speculating but so have most of the other 1000+ comments and I am looking for an optimistic angle.

I also ceded that this would only be relevant 'if we are allowed in' in my last post.
I have seen the date 19th of July floated about by a few different European countries including Ireland and U.K. I don’t know if this is to do with the USA reopening.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by kingcole974

Airline shares are up quite sharply this morning, maybe due to this news. IAG currently trading 3.4% higher this morning
It seems to me that such a measure would change nothing if the US does not allow you to enter.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:49 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by DL77
It seems to me that such a measure would change nothing if the US does not allow you to enter.
well off course - if the US doesn’t open its border to the U.K. / EU, then no one is going anywhere. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to reach that conclusion.

however, as has been speculated to death in this thread, the US is very unlikely to move first, and therefore U.K. and EU saying it’s OK for people to come here paves the way for the US to do the same. With Fauci going on U.K. National TV last night to say that we are doing well and suggesting that the US can see a time for borders to open, planets are (very very slowly) aligning.

I remain hopeful as ever
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:44 am

Lots of incongruent body language there:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-16/...tells-itv-news
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Owenc
Lots of incongruent body language there:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-16/...tells-itv-news
Nothing is going to change until Fauci recommends it to the President so this is a very welcome public endorsement of the current UK position (leaving aside how it got there!) I don't see anything odd with the body language in this clip. Very encouraging indeed.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I think there is a chance that such an announcement would be based on reciprocity.
If Biden lifted the ban, he would apply it both to UK, Ireland and Schengen.
casey89 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Based on how the UK is trending upwards and with almost exclusively Delta variant the ban should not be released, at least for the UK, for at least another month. Unless it is for travelers both fully vaccinated and tested.

COVID-19 Weekly Trends by Country - Worldometer (worldometers.info)
outgoing likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
[Mod edit]

There are lots of us desperate for UK:US travel to open up again, and this thread has, on occasion, been a useful source of new information (as well as attracting the doom-mongering, travel is dead forever types). If this isnt of interest to you, head back the Guardian and leave the rest of us to it...
lhrsfo, LETTERBOY, Owenc and 1 others like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 17, 2021 at 7:53 am Reason: Redact response to a deleted post
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
[mod edit]

I think the Fauci interview posted today is new and relevant news.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 17, 2021 at 7:54 am Reason: Redact reference to a deleted post
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Based on how the UK is trending upwards and with almost exclusively Delta variant the ban should not be released, at least for the UK, for at least another month. Unless it is for travelers both fully vaccinated and tested.
The travel ban on the UK and EU started 6 months before the UK variant developed. The ban was intensified when we discovered the UK variant. And still, within a few weeks, the UK variant was 90% of all US cases.

Kinda seems like pulling the sheets over your head isn't an effective strategy!
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Originally Posted by nk15

COVID-19 Weekly Trends by Country - Worldometer (worldometers.info)
well, if you believe DM (although BBC reported similar news earlier this morning):

84fiero, LETTERBOY, Owenc and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.