Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by DL77
Every single piece I read has similar statements as this:

"Two cardiologists from Sheba Medical Center were verified as infected with the Omicron variant, a spokesperson for the hospital confirmed. He said they were experiencing “very light symptoms.”

Of course the bedwetters will scream "more data", "whatabout", "yebbut".
84fiero, LETTERBOY, sbandy and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
My assumption: What the Biden-Administration is planing is a tightening process in stages.

Stage A: Stricter Testing Requirement before travel;
Stage B: Testing Requirement after arrival;
Stage C: Mandatory Quarantine requirement between arrival test and test result (that would destroy any same-day domestic connections);
Stage D: Mandatory Quarantine requirement for a fixed number of days (that would destroy short trips to the US and ruin any holiday trip);
Stage E: Travel Ban for foreigners;

Stage A would most likely be announced this Thursday. It may come into effect from Dec 6.
Stage B I don't know.
If the Omicron issue is becoming more serious (rapid spread + vaccine escape), Stage C will be triggered a week later.

What does it mean for us: The earlier you fly to the US, the better it is for you.
Someone flying on Dec 5 may still get in fairly easy. Someone flying on Dec 20 (+ no US Passport) -> all bets are off.
I also have a US-bound ticket in the period between Dec 5 to Dec 20 - and yes, I am on edge, as well.
One big learning in this pandemic is -> Once a border is opened, use that opportunity immediately!

What's the message: You have no US Passport and want to desperately fly to the US -> Book a flight now and fly before Dec 6!
what about for American citizens visiting abroad for the holidays?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:28 am

Bloomberg is making it sound like rapid antigen test like EMED will still be accepted just only T-1 “The administration isn’t considering tightening rules on what type of test is required for entry to the U.S. The administration has only imposed requirements for rapid antigen tests, which may be less effective at detecting cases of the omicron variant.”

which is what I am hoping cause I can make that work I already test on return anyway so my greatest concern is Jan/feb trips in 2022 PCR in 24 hours isn’t possible but I can do an Emed in my hotel

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t?srnd=premium
LETTERBOY and 36902BRF like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Does anyone really think that the US could implement a test after 3-5 days from arrival and self-isolation mandate other than relying on the honor system.
I don't think so. Maybe some individual states would spend budget on that, but I certainly don't see any federal authority checking test results obtained 3-5 days from arrival and if people are self-isolating are not.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by michael1023
My Hypothesis Stages A, B, C, D would apply to US citizens, as well -> when returning from a holiday from abroad.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Does anyone really think that the US could implement a test after 3-5 days from arrival and self-isolation mandate other than relying on the honor system.
It would be interesting to see what happens to foreigners, who are planing to spend less than 3 days in the US (e.g. to transit to Canada etc.).
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:55 am

I don't think so. Maybe some individual states would spend budget on that, but I certainly don't see any federal authority checking test results obtained 3-5 days from arrival and if people are self-isolating are not.

i doubt they could because they refused to set up any type of centralized system from the start and so it will be on the state to figure out how and monitor and like some have said half will say shove it and others will try but I don’t see it happening especially when you start considering levying fines against American citizens in their own country that will go right to a court and be blocked. As for the testing that’s also got a lot of holes in it this isn’t the Middle East or china where they don’t let you leave the airport with out testing so except for causing additional harm to the travel industry by people canceling flights again I don’t see this as doing very much good since it’s probably already here.

This administration is also totally disconnected with regards to the testing situation even in the us I can’t get a same day test to save my life without paying close to 300 bucks and I’ve hunted for antigen test for thanksgiving and they were hard to find and 23 dollars a box so idk how they think it’s just like running to the corner store and you get your results in no time
84fiero, LETTERBOY, sbandy and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by michael1023

like many I would like to know how they are going to enforce these outside of item 1 it’s all on the state and honor system and frankly as I read the Wapo article as a person who is tripped vaxed and followed all other advise in the past along with still wearing KN95 masks everywhere and social distancing and work at home my first response was they could shove I ain’t quarantining so if I wonder if I feel like that’s I can only imagine what others will do who don’t strictly follow the rules currently
lhrsfo, 84fiero, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US could put in place a test pre-booking/prepayment-for-testing requirement and ask for the airlines to check for evidence of the traveler having already booked/paid for such post-arrival testing arrangement before allowing the persons to travel to the US. That would probably drive up compliance, even as it would be assumed that many people may turn out to be out of bounds in following through after arrival.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Sxc7887
This administration is also totally disconnected with regards to the testing situation even in the us I can’t get a same day test to save my life without paying close to 300 bucks and I’ve hunted for antigen test for thanksgiving and they were hard to find and 23 dollars a box so idk how they think it’s just like running to the corner store and you get your results in no time
Where are you that you're having such a problem finding tests?

According to HHS "Low or no-cost COVID-19 tests are available to everyone in the U.S., including the uninsured, at health centers and select pharmacies nationwide." CVS provides no cost tests in 45 states https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by richarddd

According to HHS "Low or no-cost COVID-19 tests are available to everyone in the U.S., including the uninsured, at health centers and select pharmacies nationwide." CVS provides no cost tests in 45 states https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing
Test availability is extremely limited. Currently in our area cvs tests are fully booked 3-5 days in advance. Any additional test requirements will easily overload the remaining availability.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd

Those free tests are only available for US citizens, residents, etc...
A foreigner solely visiting the US would be unable to take those tests.

In addition, the turnaround times for those tests could be long as 2 or 3 business days which might not meet the criteria of the destination country, if someone is flying from the US to another country as those tests are mostly for those who feel unwell or those who need to take a test because of contact tracing rather than travel purposes.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Even homeless people without ID in the US managed to get tested for no cost out of their threadbare pockets.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
Test availability is extremely limited. Currently in our area cvs tests are fully booked 3-5 days in advance. Any additional test requirements will easily overload the remaining availability.
If we're talking about testing on return to the US, the odds are that you'll know your return date 3-5 days in advance and can book.

In addition, the turnaround times for those tests could be long as 2 or 3 business days which might not meet the criteria of the destination country, if someone is flying from the US to another country as those tests are mostly for those who feel unwell or those who need to take a test because of contact tracing rather than travel purposes.
Perhaps order one of the supervised at home tests and have it delivered to your hotel, etc. Or see reply immediately above.

This thread is mainly about traveling to the US, not other destination countries.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:39 am
Suspended

How do people normally prove residency and citizenship in the US at these testing sites? SSN?
I really doubt that they have to show a birth certificate, passport card or passport at the testing site?
Esp. when it comes to testing and vaccination, I thought the Biden Administration was trying to not implement any hurdles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.