Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
https://nypost.com/2021/12/20/fauci-...-covid-spread/

I wouldn't hold my breath on fast action by Uncle Sam but who knows...
The revisit of bans was in regards to the African countries, meaning being lifted.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by theplayer
The revisit of bans was in regards to the African countries, meaning being lifted.
Yes that's correct, which is why I shared it in this thread. I can only quote a small portion of an article's text per FT rules but thought the article was very clear. The speed at which that may happen is indeterminate IMHO so anyone reading that as a quick rescission may be disappointed.

Last edited by 84fiero; Dec 21, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Old Dec 23, 2021, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
what was updates?
seawolf and casey89 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 7:50 am

The United States on Nov. 29 barred nearly all non-U.S. citizens who had recently been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi in an "abundance of caution" over the variant detected in South Africa.

White House spokesman Kevin Munoz tweeted that Biden "will lift the temporary travel restrictions on Southern Africa countries" effective Dec. 31.
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa...ce-2021-12-24/
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Breaking records basically each day. Any insights that Biden thinking about closing borders for international travel again?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might be better to ask that here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/get-involved/write-or-call/
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by casey89
Breaking records basically each day. Any insights that Biden thinking about closing borders for international travel again?
What are the rates of hospitalisation/deaths? Because if those aren't spiking, I don't think they would revert to the draconian travel ban measures.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by gojko88
What are the rates of hospitalisation/deaths? Because if those aren't spiking, I don't think they would revert to the draconian travel ban measures.
Given widespread reports of ICU's full and no more ambulances available... I wouldn't be surprised TBH. Also keep in mind that testing is, in many places, also limited, further complicating things should you get sick. Anyone's guess is as good as any at this point though. Same thing applies that has for the last two years of not making non-refundable bookings and taking it one week at a time...
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:46 pm

I truly hope no one in DC is stupid enough to even entertain such an idea.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
What can you expect from such a decision if it was taken ?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Not happening. Aside from masks, there's very little public support for any restrictions (Fauci actually admitted this recently). Some localities have different kinds of vaccine mandates, but numerically it's not that many.

Originally Posted by stupidhead
I truly hope no one in DC is stupid enough to even entertain such an idea.
There are most definitely people in DC stupid enough to think this is a good idea, but fortunately there aren't enough of them to actually do it.
Tim_T, Statman, Silver Fox and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Not happening. Aside from masks, there's very little public support for any restrictions (Fauci actually admitted this recently). Some localities have different kinds of vaccine mandates, but numerically it's not that many.
Even support for masks is dwindling by the day. Mask enforcement on my recent AA TATL was pretty lax.

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
There are most definitely people in DC stupid enough to think this is a good idea, but fortunately there aren't enough of them to actually do it.
I hope for our own sake it remains that way. No one stupid enough to entertain such an idea has any business running a paper bag, let alone a country of 330 million.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:08 pm

https://morningconsult.com/2021/11/3...-polling-data/
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi, apologies if this is not the correct forum, but after a really hard 12 months (like a lot of people, I'm sure) I am looking to travel to the US from the UK for a few weeks in April with my wife and 8yo, taking in a couple of states (FL, TX) via internal flights and car hire and a first visit to DisneyWorld.

We are fully vaccinated, not bothered by mask wearing, and holidayed in Dubai last August so have travelled internationally during the pandemic. It's still early days Omicron-wise and I know all countries are dealing with the latest variant at different speeds etc., but I guess my simple(ish) question is, are others taking on the touristy approach to travel in the US now, or am I crazy even considering it given the record cases etc.?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by dadio77
Hi, apologies if this is not the correct forum, but after a really hard 12 months (like a lot of people, I'm sure) I am looking to travel to the US from the UK for a few weeks in April with my wife and 8yo, taking in a couple of states (FL, TX) via internal flights and car hire and a first visit to DisneyWorld.

We are fully vaccinated, not bothered by mask wearing, and holidayed in Dubai last August so have travelled internationally during the pandemic. It's still early days Omicron-wise and I know all countries are dealing with the latest variant at different speeds etc., but I guess my simple(ish) question is, are others taking on the touristy approach to travel in the US now, or am I crazy even considering it given the record cases etc.?
To put it simply, no, you're not crazy. Florida and Texas are the two most relaxed states when it comes to Covid rules so good news for you is that pretty much everything is open in FL and TX. You'll be fine. No one in TX or FL cares about cases anymore. When I vacationed in MIA this past fall, my mask came off at MIA arrivals and didn't come back on until MIA departures. I live in the Dallas area and the story's more or less the same here. Presumably you shouldn't be worried about Omicron anyway considering you're fully vaccinated, and children have never been at any substantial risk, and Omicron's mild.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.