FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:26 am
michael1023

Originally Posted by warakorn
My assumption: What the Biden-Administration is planing is a tightening process in stages.

Stage A: Stricter Testing Requirement before travel;
Stage B: Testing Requirement after arrival;
Stage C: Mandatory Quarantine requirement between arrival test and test result (that would destroy any same-day domestic connections);
Stage D: Mandatory Quarantine requirement for a fixed number of days (that would destroy short trips to the US and ruin any holiday trip);
Stage E: Travel Ban for foreigners;

Stage A would most likely be announced this Thursday. It may come into effect from Dec 6.
Stage B I don't know.
If the Omicron issue is becoming more serious (rapid spread + vaccine escape), Stage C will be triggered a week later.

What does it mean for us: The earlier you fly to the US, the better it is for you.
Someone flying on Dec 5 may still get in fairly easy. Someone flying on Dec 20 (+ no US Passport) -> all bets are off.
I also have a US-bound ticket in the period between Dec 5 to Dec 20 - and yes, I am on edge, as well.
One big learning in this pandemic is -> Once a border is opened, use that opportunity immediately!

What's the message: You have no US Passport and want to desperately fly to the US -> Book a flight now and fly before Dec 6!
what about for American citizens visiting abroad for the holidays?