Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:09 pm
Suspended

The other thing bothering me is the requirement for many countries reopening to have a covid-19 test certificate issued in the preceding 48-72 hours (for example Austria, Cyprus requiring this). Could one not easily be forged via photoshop, clip art etc etc?

In the UK we do not get such a certificate, if you go for a test you get a text message confirming your result. Are you supposed to show them this? They also said you could opt for an email instead, however those can easily be doctored aswell?

Are certificates being issued in most other countries then? Or are they expecting you to pay a few hundred euros for a private one with a fancy certificate (hologram, stamp and all)?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
The other thing bothering me is the requirement for many countries reopening to have a covid-19 test certificate issued in the preceding 48-72 hours (for example Austria, Cyprus requiring this).
I agree with you, this is getting ridiculous and out of control.
flyingcrazy and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:15 pm

In the UK we can't get one for travelling! Those countries are deluded.
flyingcrazy and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:17 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
In many places you can't get an RCT test can you, without the public health authorities requiring that you present with several symptoms?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paulaf
In the UK we can't get one for travelling! Those countries are deluded.
You would either have to shell out the best part of Ł200 for a private test, or hound your local NHS trust for a letter. Or far more likely as I suspect many will do if forced to, make one up on word.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Do many countries in the EU have this? I mean Switzerland, France, Germany, Italy don't and they are quite major countries. And by the way you can always cross the border from Switzerland into Austria as there are no more border controls soon no? It just is a hassle though, if countries insist on a test well then I don't have to go!
flyingcrazy and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:40 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
EASA has published a "safe" airport list.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...amid-covid-19/

Here are the criteria used.

The list, which has been developed in coordination with the EASA Member States, is mainly based on the information from WHO, ECDC and other reputable public health institutes, and will be updated continuously in consultation with these organizations.

Data from these organizations have been collected and arranged in a consistent manner. Overall, the list has been established based on the following factors:
  • number of active cases
  • number of recovered cases
  • the trend of active cases per day & trend of new cases per day
  • number of tests per inhabitants
  • deaths per inhabitants & trend of deaths per day
  • cases in urban vs rural areas;
  • number & size of the airports serving a specific area/population
  • reproduction index – higher than one should be considered in correlation with other factors and should be seen as an indication of exponentia
OK, the list is strange. Just scanning it, it appears these are airports in areas of major outbreaks? For instance, for Italy, it only lists:

Italy All airports in the following regions:

· Emilia Romagna

· Lombardy

· Piemonte
So these are the areas where the spread infection was the greatest weren't they?

Going through other countries, both inside and outside the EU, it seems a similar pattern, the iarports in the "safe" list are those in areas which had the greatest number of cases in that country.

The EU also bans certain airlines, mostly from Africa and the Middle East:

The latest update of the European Union Safety List shows that a total of 96 airlines have been banned from the EU:
  • 90 airlines certified in 16 states, due to inadequate safety oversight by the aviation authorities from these states: Afghanistan, Angola (with the exception of 2 airlines), Armenia, Congo (Brazzaville), the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Moldova (with the exception of 3 airlines), Nepal, Săo Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone and Sudan.
  • Six individual airlines, based on serious safety deficiencies identified: Avior Airlines (Venezuela), Blue Wing Airlines (Suriname), Iran Aseman Airlines (Iran), Iraqi Airways (Iraq), Med-View Airlines (Nigeria) and Air Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe).
Furthermore, three airlines have been subject to operational restrictions and can only fly to the European Union with specific aircraft types: Air Service Comores (Comoros), Iran Air (Iran) and Air Koryo (North Korea).

The list published by the European Union helps affected airlines and countries to increase their levels of safety, for them to be taken off the list eventually.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...r-safety-list/
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Do many countries in the EU have this? I mean Switzerland, France, Germany, Italy don't and they are quite major countries. And by the way you can always cross the border from Switzerland into Austria as there are no more border controls soon no? It just is a hassle though, if countries insist on a test well then I don't have to go!
Yup, if this is a requirement for entry I am not going period.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exp

OK, the list is strange. Just scanning it, it appears these are airports in areas of major outbreaks? For instance, for Italy, it only lists:

So these are the areas where the spread infection was the greatest weren't they?

Going through other countries, both inside and outside the EU, it seems a similar pattern, the iarports in the "safe" list are those in areas which had the greatest number of cases in that country.

Yes I do not understand that. For example it is saying the only safe airports in Sweden are in Stockholm, eh? Does it mean these airport that were considered 'risky' are now 'safe'?
Goldorak and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by exp

No Irish airports or Belfast? Why not?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:29 pm

Schengenvisainfo is an Albanian-run non-official site and they appear to have got this one backwards. That’s the list of airports which are considered UNSAFE by EASA.
notquiteaff, 84fiero and the810 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by exp
It's actually a list of airports with elevated risk, and the official link for it is here: https://www.easa.europa.eu/SD-2020-01/Airports

There is also the disclaimer:
This list is intended to ensure an additional layer of protection [...], namely the disinfection of aircraft [...] not [...] to suggest travel restrictions or other public health measures (such as quarantine) at State level.
Simply put, it's a recommendation that planes arriving from the listed areas should be cleaned more thoroughly.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
It's actually a list of airports with elevated risk, and the official link for it is here: https://www.easa.europa.eu/SD-2020-01/Airports

There is also the disclaimer:

Simply put, it's a recommendation that planes arriving from the listed areas should be cleaned more thoroughly.
That makes sense. I remember Greece was saying it would quarantine arrivals from the airports on the list (how on earth does one police that?) and EASA soon afterwards said it is not meant as a travel restriction recommendation.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Steinmetz
Schengenvisainfo is an Albanian-run non-official site and they appear to have got this one backwards. That’s the list of airports which are considered UNSAFE by EASA.
Thank you, I was starting to wonder if I had consumed too much disinfectant tonight...
the810, Owenc and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
You could cross into Austria that way sure, but if you get caught I imagine the consequences would be pretty severe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.