Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Austria announced it will be open (from June 16) for all residents of EU/Schengen except UK, Sweden, Spain and Portugal.
Can you find anywhere if this would apply even if a UK resident, for example, has been in other countries ('safe' ones) for 14+ days?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Is it not quite common in the EU for countries to fall in line once the EU makes a proclamation like this?
No, it's not. What is common is that Comission, being subordinate to member states (not the other way around, as many people seem to think), makes statements based on talks with individual states. When Home Affaris comissioner said she expects internal borders to open by end of June, she cited debates with interior ministers of member states, saying that some were ready to reopen in mid-June, while others wanted to wait until July.

I don't consider current partial openings to be a sign that end-of-June deadline for full reopening of internal borders does not apply. Those two things are not mutually exclusive and I expect that many states that open partially in mid-June will open completely on 1st of July.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Can you find anywhere if this would apply even if a UK resident, for example, has been in other countries ('safe' ones) for 14+ days?
I've emailed a couple Austrian embassies to find out, but I imagine it won't be the news that I want to hear. I have tried and tried but can't find whether this would apply in the above scenario or not.

Last edited by Dan1113; Jun 10, 2020 at 10:12 am
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:00 am

Slovakia
The Prime Minister of Slovakia, Igor Matovic has announced that starting from today, Slovakia will reopen its borders for 16 countries, which have been closed due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

According to a statement of Slovakia’s Ministry of Interior, the Slovak borders will reopen for citizens of Liechtenstein, Germany, Switzerland, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Malta, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Latvia, Denmark, Norway and Iceland.
Slovenia
The government has issued a decree, which is valid from June 8, and permits entry for the nationals of the following 17 countries considered as epidemiologically safe:
  • Austria
  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Switzerland
Citizens of Austria, Hungary and Slovenia, will be eligible to cross the borders outside of checkpoints. Slovenian citizens coming from any of the EU or the Schengen Member States may also cross the border outside the checkpoints.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Looks like Germany will go ahead with opening the borders on Tuesday.

Spätestens ab kommenden Dienstag wird es an den deutschen Außengrenzen keine Einreisekontrollen mehr geben. Bundesinnenminister Horst Seehofer (CSU) sagte am Mittwoch in Berlin, die wegen der Corona-Pandemie verhängten Kontrollen sollten bis Montag „allmählich ausschleichen“. Wegen der Pandemie hatte Deutschland Grenzkontrollen an den Grenzen zu Österreich, der Schweiz, Frankreich, Luxemburg und Dänemark eingeführt, die in den vergangenen Wochen schon zurückgefahren worden waren.

Seehofer äußerte zugleich die Erwartung, dass bis Ende Juni alle Reisebeschränkungen innerhalb der EU aufgehoben werden. Damit werde die Freizügigkeit in der EU wieder voll hergestellt. Wenn sich die Situation in dem einen oder anderen Land wieder verschlechtern solle, müsse überlegt werden, was zu tun ist, sagte der Minister weiter.
BUT leaves in place a travel warning to 160 countries to end of August.

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Austria announced it will be open (from June 16) for all residents of EU/Schengen except UK, Sweden, Spain and Portugal.
Again, why Portugal? Their numbers were good thoughout and continue to be good. Border to Spain was closed, and for a 'poor' European country with some of the lowest ICU bed per person ratio they came out ok.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Slovakia

The Prime Minister of Slovakia, Igor Matovic has announced that starting from today, Slovakia will reopen its borders for 16 countries, which have been closed due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

According to a statement of Slovakia’s Ministry of Interior, the Slovak borders will reopen for citizens of Liechtenstein, Germany, Switzerland, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Malta, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Latvia, Denmark, Norway and Iceland.
That quote isn't entirely correct. Slovakia opens to anyone who has only been in those countries within the last 14 days. There is no citizenship/residence restriction. It should also be note that the list includes Austria, Czechia and Hungary (they are not mentioned, because borders with them have already been opened for a week or two).
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:15 am

It appears that Poland is reopening to all of the EU as of 13 June.
https://www.pap.pl/aktualnosci/news%...e-otwarte.html

He is using the word EU so I assume it is a generic opening to Schengen+non-schengen EU+UK.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by exbayern
Any word on the 14 day quarantine rules for travelers coming from those countries to Germany?

Again, why Portugal? Their numbers were good thoughout and continue to be good. Border to Spain was closed, and for a 'poor' European country with some of the lowest ICU bed per person ratio they came out ok.
Agreed, it’s weird. Could it be because (according to some debate here and in other threads) Portugal admits travelers from Brazil? Then again, they wouldn’t generally be residents of Portugal if they used Portugal as a port of entry to the larger EU.

I think in the interest of transparency it would be good to establish a threshold such as the “50 new cases per 100,000 people cumulative over seven days” rule that Germany used to exclude Sweden and apply that everywhere.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by the810
That quote isn't entirely correct. Slovakia opens to anyone who has only been in those countries within the last 14 days. There is no citizenship/residence restriction. It should also be note that the list includes Austria, Czechia and Hungary (they are not mentioned, because borders with them have already been opened for a week or two).
Thank you for the correction! So this summer I would be able to enter Slovakia then.

If the Czech Republic changes it to the 14 days in 'safe' countries thing as well, and Austria, that would be fantastic and that would be me sorted.

I will let everyone know what I hear back re Austria, unless anyone can find about the residency thing or not!
Old Jun 10, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

What do you mean their numbers are good? They have 11x more cases than Greece and 2x as many as Austria, at the same population with these countries. Portugal is still adding 300-400 new cases per day (as opposed to Greece's 10 and Austria's 25), in a pop. of 10 million. Sure Portugal is testing more, but that's because they have a bigger problem.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 10, 2020 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Well the good news is the tragectory and will is now for the world to open up, and it seems Europe is really leading the way here.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Well the good news is the tragectory and will is now for the world to open up, and it seems Europe is really leading the way here.
As long as you are in a clean country, yes.

I'd love to see what the conditions of entry are even for those clean countries.

As a US citizen, I can only watch with envy.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554
As long as you are in a clean country, yes.

I'd love to see what the conditions of entry are even for those clean countries.

As a US citizen, I can only watch with envy.
And EU may not be considered "a clean country" soon for most Asian nations, that will welcome countries like HK/Taiwan/Korea/Australia/NZ way before us... I also can only watch them with envy when ASEAN and HK/Japan/Korea/Taiwan will open to them.

We are always someone's poor.

Though I agree that if EU passport holders will be able to travel freely within the EU, those passports will become valuable this summer because they will grant access to more country than non-EU passports.
Being a EU citizen will be a big perk as long as the world is closed for travel, with the ability to enjoy a lot of beautiful european countries...

A cold comfort in comparison of how incompetent most EU leaders were since march dealing with the health crisis.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:02 pm
Suspended

https://www.curacaochronicle.com/pos...-dutch-people/

Interesitng to see that the Dutch Islands are opening up. Surprised however that Curacao is planning to still exclude US travellers (who I assume are their largest contingent of tourists) and will also excluse inter island travel with Aruba and St Martin if they ease restrictions on US travellers. I can see that only being a temporary measure of a few weeks.

Curacao needs to be careful as rival Caribbean destinations such as Bahamas, Jamaica, Antigua and Aruba are planning to reopen fully to all (including US travellers) however with temperature checks, mandatory mask requirements etc. My view is if you are going to reopen for tourism, do it properly! Re open!
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
What do you mean their numbers are good? They have 11x more cases than Greece and 2x as many as Austria, at the same population with these countries. Portugal is still adding 300-400 new cases per day (as opposed to Greece's 10 and Austria's 25), in a pop. of 10 million. Sure Portugal is testing more, but that's because they have a bigger problem.
Number of cases is not a good indicator; deaths per million is a better indicator. If we use cases per million, then even Iceland looks bad.

Using deaths per million, Portugal did better than many EU countries, including Switzerland which is now ranked 'safest place to be during COVID19'. The current outbreaks are apparently amongst the food production industry and close quarters is a factor. They have had under 20 deaths/day since the start of May, and under 10 deaths/day for the last week. Current deaths/million is 146, vs Germany 106, and Switzerland 224. Considering the large number of illegal residents, and the ICU rate, they had a positive outcome (in part because they granted free healthcare to those illegal residents early).
yvrcnx, 84fiero and flyingcrazy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.