Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
It does seem like common sense has gone out the window in many countries with regards to covid19..
I feel like 'flatten the curve' has become an ego thing in some countries, like NZ and Australia. Virologists and epidemiologists and public health officials should provide facts and guidance to leaders, but leaders need to make the ultimate decisions. Merkel did this when Drosten (who has now superstar status) advised her not to open the country. She told him that she appreciated all his knowledge and input, but she had to balance the medical information with running a country. When it gets to the point of naming shoes after scientists, and articles in major global media, I have to wonder if we are putting these people on too high of a pedestal and creating this urge for zero cases vs flattening the curve.

If a country gets to zero cases and ruins the economy, or people suffer from delayed medical treatment for cancer etc, then I do not consider it a success at all.

I'm also surprised how often I read Australians who fully support the fact that their state borders still remain closed, let alone the national border.
yvrcnx, BLV, 84fiero and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by exbayern
I feel like 'flatten the curve' has become an ego thing in some countries, like NZ and Australia. Virologists and epidemiologists and public health officials should provide facts and guidance to leaders, but leaders need to make the ultimate decisions. Merkel did this when Drosten (who has now superstar status) advised her not to open the country. She told him that she appreciated all his knowledge and input, but she had to balance the medical information with running a country. When it gets to the point of naming shoes after scientists, and articles in major global media, I have to wonder if we are putting these people on too high of a pedestal and creating this urge for zero cases vs flattening the curve.

If a country gets to zero cases and ruins the economy, or people suffer from delayed medical treatment for cancer etc, then I do not consider it a success at all.

I'm also surprised how often I read Australians who fully support the fact that their state borders still remain closed, let alone the national border.
Completely agree with everything you wrote.

I have family in Germany as well as other EU countries and when all this started I actually followed the German news much more closely than I did our own national news here as I found the information that was given in Germany was much more balanced and made actual sense.

It looks like most of the EU is looking at finding ways to live with the virus, rather than trying to figure out ways which will keep them 100% safe which is what most other countries around the world are trying to do but in doing so completely destroying almost everything else.

To bring this post back on topic, I do admire the EU doing their best to keep their promise of having a summer tourist season. It might not all work out perfectly and there will most likely be challenges but I admire and respect that they are trying in the best possible ways to make it work.

My hope is that it will be a success which other countries around the world might be able and willing to adopt.
exbayern, the810 and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:19 pm
Suspended

I would love to have a EU - YVR/YYC/YEG corridor. Especially after I had to cancel our trip to Europe in March and April.
Would love to re-book for September - October but not knowing if even by then we'll be able to leave the country and enter the EU keeps me from booking our airline tickets at this point.
Interestingly both the USA and Canada are on the UK's 45 country wishlist to agree air bridges with by June 29th. However sadly I think Canada will reject such an offer, it seems Trudeau is uber cautious regarding this. Considering that Canada is quite reliant on the oil industry which has taken a serious hammering not just from covid19 but also over the last 6 years, to then push its tourism industry into near ruin too is totally irresponsible.

Another example of politicians racing off to react to a virus threat with next to no consideration of other factors.

Regards an agreement with the US, my view is lets get on with it. I think all border closures and restrictions do more bad than good. However the US has given zero information on when it will lift travel restrictions on the EU, and I suppose it is largely down to when Trump feels like it. Could be tomorrow, could be next year. I am sure the UK would agree to a US air bridge, however I suspect many European countries would be much more cautious.

Anyway from a UK traveller perspective my predictions are as such: Europe (late June), USA (September), Canada (September), Australia/NZ (2021), Asia (2021), Caribbean (now it seems)
yvrcnx, exbayern, the810 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Interestingly both the USA and Canada are on the UK's 45 country wishlist to agree air bridges with by June 29th. However sadly I think Canada will reject such an offer, it seems Trudeau is uber cautious regarding this. Considering that Canada is quite reliant on the oil industry which has taken a serious hammering not just from covid19 but also over the last 6 years, to then push its tourism industry into near ruin too is totally irresponsible.

Another example of politicians racing off to react to a virus threat with next to no consideration of other factors.

Regards an agreement with the US, my view is lets get on with it. I think all border closures and restrictions do more bad than good. However the US has given zero information on when it will lift travel restrictions on the EU, and I suppose it is largely down to when Trump feels like it. Could be tomorrow, could be next year. I am sure the UK would agree to a US air bridge, however I suspect many European countries would be much more cautious.

Anyway from a UK traveller perspective my predictions are as such: Europe (late June), USA (September), Canada (September), Australia/NZ (2021), Asia (2021), Caribbean (now it seems)
I was honestly surprised by how cautious Canada has been when flights from China were banned quite late when all this started.
Especially when it comes to opening up to countries which have had 'good results' I was honestly expecting to have options to go to Europe later this summer.

Your assessment from a UK traveler perspective seems like a good prediction, looking at where things are at now.
In addition to opening up to Europe in September, I am also hoping that Japan might be on the list of countries whether it is from Europe or from Canada.

Time will tell....
exbayern and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Number of cases is not a good indicator; deaths per million is a better indicator. If we use cases per million, then even Iceland looks bad.

Using deaths per million, Portugal did better than many EU countries, including Switzerland which is now ranked 'safest place to be during COVID19'. The current outbreaks are apparently amongst the food production industry and close quarters is a factor. They have had under 20 deaths/day since the start of May, and under 10 deaths/day for the last week. Current deaths/million is 146, vs Germany 106, and Switzerland 224. Considering the large number of illegal residents, and the ICU rate, they had a positive outcome (in part because they granted free healthcare to those illegal residents early).
Even by this metric, deaths/million, Portugal is ranked 16th worse in the world (if you exclude 6 tiny nations of a few thousand people). They are only a couple of spots lower (better) than Brazil.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Spain has announced that masks will remain mandatory in public places "until the coronavirus is defeated" - i.e. until a vaccine or cure is found (probably never).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN23G1M4

To be honest, I can't see it lasting once other countries drop the requirements. It will hurt their tourist industry too much.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Judging by the development in other places that introduced compulsory masks, I highly doubt it will last for long. Spain is a democracy after all, when public support for a rule diminishes, so will the rule.

I also highly doubt anyone will to go on holiday where they're expected to wear mask at all times.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by the810
Judging by the development in other places that introduced compulsory masks, I highly doubt it will last for long. Spain is a democracy after all, when public support for a rule diminishes, so will the rule.

I also highly doubt anyone will to go on holiday where they're expected to wear mask at all times.
Exactly. My own experience in Austria is that mask wearing gets old pretty quickly.

I am taking the summer off work (standing down from the end of June) and will be looking to do a fair bit of travel within Europe.

Scandinavia is an attractive option once borders reopen, but I will also be looking to do some trips to the sunnier destinations.

Without the mask rule, Spain would definitely have figured in that. As it stands, I think I'll probably end up in Croatia instead.
the810 and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:00 am

Germany extends non-EU travel warning to August 30.

https://www.thelocal.de/20200610/we-...nded-august-31
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:38 am

Today's update is from Finland, reopening only to residents of other Nordic countries (minus Sweden) and the three Baltic states.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
That is about right though I prefer comparing the death rate per 1 million.
I don’t think it makes sense to use a (total) death rate per million rate when assessing the current relative safety of a country for travel. The cumulative seven day count of positive tests reflects what is currently happening. Deaths from three months ago have no relevance in that regard.
exbayern and the810 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:22 am

Speaking at a press conference in Berlin, Deputy Foreign Ministry spokesman Christofer Burger said travel warnings were released to inform citizens about potential pandemic risks, restrictions or lockdown measures abroad.

“A travel warning is not a travel ban,” he stressed, in response to a question on whether German tourists can travel to Turkey for summer holiday, after the government’s decision to extend travel warning for all countries outside the EU.

In the end, everyone has to decide for himself or herself. We cannot decide on their behalf,” Burger said.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/germ...urkey/1872390#
Turkey is celebrating that, I am sure But again I like the measured, balanced information being put out by my government right now. Instead of making the decision and prohibiting travel, they have allowed people to choose the best action for themselves.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:31 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Sure it is not a travel ban, but it means if you go you are on your own: no government repatriation, no insurances of any kind as no travel insurance will cover an incident in a trip while a travel warning is in place.
largeeyes and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/germ...urkey/1872390#
Turkey is celebrating that, I am sure But again I like the measured, balanced information being put out by my government right now. Instead of making the decision and prohibiting travel, they have allowed people to choose the best action for themselves.
Why would anyone travel to Turkey (for vacation) if they are currently subject to a two week quarantine upon return? E.g., NRW regulations

https://www.land.nrw/sites/default/f...30.05.2020.pdf

(this may change with the next iteration presumably effective 6/15, but I have not seen any announcements about it)
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Why would anyone travel to Turkey (for vacation) if they are currently subject to a two week quarantine upon return? E.g., NRW regulations

https://www.land.nrw/sites/default/f...30.05.2020.pdf

(this may change with the next iteration presumably effective 6/15, but I have not seen any announcements about it)
The travel between Germany and Turkey on a daily basis is very significant, and not just for leisure travel. For those making family or business visits, the quarantine on return may not be a primary concern. And for leisure guests, there may be a hope that the quarantine is lifted eventually or at least lifted for returns from some countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.