Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Germany is not going to enforce a quarantine for UK and Sweden arrivals. My understanding is it is just advising its own citizens against non essential travel to the UK and Sweden
​​
Germany is now enforcing a 14 day quarantine for arrivals where more than 48 hours was spent in Sweden, as the infection rate in the last 7 days has exceeded 50 per 100,000 people.

In the UK the infection rate is still within the limit set by the German government, so no quarantine is necessary. The travel advice for EU countries that will apply from 15th June has not yet been published.

Originally Posted by https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html
The federal and state governments have agreed that all persons entering Germany from third countries are required to remain in self-quarantine for two weeks. Third countries are countries outside the European Union (EU). Persons travelling from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are exempt from this requirement, as are persons travelling from EU countries.

The quarantine requirement does not apply to persons entering from a third country if it is determined that the infection rate in that country is low. The names of these countries will be published on the website of the Robert-Koch-Institut.

Persons travelling from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or the UK can be ordered into quarantine if over the last seven days the number of new infections in the respective country amounted to more than 50 per 100,000 inhabitants. Please consult the website of the Robert-Koch-Institut to find out which European countries are affected.

Please also consult the website of the specific German federal state to which you are travelling or in which you have your residence or intend to stay for more details, as rules may vary from state to state.
​​
Link: https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...irus-faqs.html
https://www.verkuendung-bayern.de/baymbl/2020-273/
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So theoretically it looks like my JFK-CDG flight on July 6, will be OK?
If I was a betting man, I would put money on the border still being closed on July 6th, but who knows.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
So I have a planning question, for traveling from the US to Greece in late July, back in late August. I prefer flying direct, to minimize transits, risks, and complications, and that's where my current plans are (with miles), but I am wondering if it will be a safer bet to transit via MAD or LHR instead.

My understanding is that Greece unofficially considers EU countries like Spain, Italy, and France as "second tier" but making good progress, and likely be allowed in fully with no restrictions after July 1, while the US and the UK are considered "third tier" and more doubtful that they will sufficiently reduce epidemiological profile by July 1. The Greek government has announced that any restrictions for certain countries will be announced sometime in June. Unofficially, they have said that if US and other flights are allowed freely with only random tests, and things start going bad, the options will be either (a) suspension o f flights, or (b) mandatory quarantine for all arrivals.

My question is should I hedge my initial bets on the direct flights, or opt for connections via MAD or LHR. My preference is to keep or finalize the direct flights with AA, but then I am not sure if AA will start consolidating or cancelling the route if things don't t start looking that good, and the likelihood of successful re-accommodations in J with partners. Any thoughts of what routes will be safer? So many unknowns...
You should fly non-stop US-ATH if you can. If you are afraid of possible cancellations/schedule changes (and you are right to be afraid of this), you increase your chances to face this problem the more you have connections.

AA is also much more likely to be operating flights to LHR frequently than ATH.
This is certainly a very valid point. But I am still in the opinion that OP should fly non-stop if he/she could, for the reason I just mentioned. And if a schedule change or a cancellation happens, then he/she can be rebooked via somewhere.

You would likely be better off flying via LHR actually. As Spain is within the schengen area you would have to enter the schengen area there directly from a non EU/EEA/UK country therefore it is possible that US travellers may still be banned from entering the schengen zone and you risk being refused entry and sent home. By late July it is highly likely the UK/Greece will have unrestricted travel with each other, so you would be entering Greece from the UK (a non schengen country, however likely exempted from Greek travel ban) and more likely to get in.
I don't follow you here. It seems you believe (as many other posters on FT) that there is an easy loophole in the system by flying to UK and then to Schengen on the principle that UK citizens are accepted in Schengen. If Americans are banned to enter the Schengen area, they are banned whenever they arrive direct from the US of via LHR or via anywhere else. Arriving from LHR in Schengen, OP will still be an American citizen with an American passport trying to enter the Schengen area. I remind you that there is full passport/immigration control arriving from UK in the Schengen area, even in normal (non-covid) times. The only possible exception to this would be if this American citizen is a permanent resident in UK, but this would need to be confirmed.

As for other posters arguing over the merits of EU/US continuing their travel bans with each other. My view is that economic interests are now prevailing as lockdowns and border closures have awful knock on consequences which ultimately could be worse than the virus itself. As the virus seems to now be weakening and disappeaaring, the sooner we return to normality in my view the better. Therefore I wholeheartedly support the US/EU allowing unrestricted travel ASAP. That is just my own view however.
I share this view too.

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Has the external border ban been officially extended to 01 July already then? Beyond just a wish by France for it to reopen then. I missed that.
I don't think so. It is still June 15 at the moment. So we'll have some news toward end of the coming week.

Originally Posted by NickB
The Schengen Border Code provides for the possibility to deny entry on the basis of threat to public health. As long as we are talking of a disease recognised by the WHO as a disease with epidemic potential (which is how a "threat to public health" is defined in the Code), in practice national authorities will have to decide for themselves what this implies with respect to denying entry and there is no provision in the Schengen Border Code for a common procedure to define at Schengen level what measures, if any, should be taken with respect to third countries. So, it is perfectly possible, under the current regime, for different Schengen Member States to adopt different measures with respect to Covid-19 management vis-ŕ-vis third countries and, if there is coordination between Schengen States, such coordination takes place on a voluntary basis rather than as a result of legal obligations on Schengen States. As to the reintroduction of internal borders, well, we are already there anyway as several states have reintroduced internal borders within the Schengen area. This is far from ideal and it is to be hoped (and likely, I would have thought) that there will be coordination but it cannot be taken for granted.
Thank you NickB for this useful information.
Owenc and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I don't think so. It is still June 15 at the moment. So we'll have some news toward end of the coming week.
They are working on an extension until July 1

All but essential travel into Europe from the outside is restricted until June 15, but many ministers suggested Friday that they want this deadline extended until early July. Germany’s Seehofer said most of the EU’s interior ministers want to extend the current entry ban on outside travelers “by 14 days until July 1.”

Visitors from the United States, Russia or Brazil, for example, would only be allowed back into Europe on based on how those nations have brought the spread of the virus under control, he said. Those three nations account for 44% of the world’s confirmed infections and nearly 38% of the world’s confirmed coronavirus deaths, according to Johns Hopkins.
fransknorge and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I don't follow you here. It seems you believe (as many other posters on FT) that there is an easy loophole in the system by flying to UK and then to Schengen on the principle that UK citizens are accepted in Schengen. If Americans are banned to enter the Schengen area, they are banned whenever they arrive direct from the US of via LHR or via anywhere else.
This is not true, at least not in all Schengen states. Many of them have a rule that you are admitted if you are an EU* citizen or you're arriving from an EU* destination. There was never a coordinated approach for internal borders. (* EU or EFTA)

For example, this is listed for the Netherlands:
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter the Netherlands.
-This does not apply when arriving from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or United Kingdom.
-This does not apply to nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland.
You can notice that there are two different exceptions. The first is related to where the flight originates (and it doesn't matter what citizenship one holds), while the second is based on citizenship (and it doesn't matter where you arrive from). In other words, everyone can enter from EU*. EU citizenship only becomes relevant when entering from outside the Union. Therefore, US citizen can enter from the UK, but not directly from the US.

Conclusion: The UK loophole does exist.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
They are working on an extension until July 1

All but essential travel into Europe from the outside is restricted until June 15, but many ministers suggested Friday that they want this deadline extended until early July. Germany’s Seehofer said most of the EU’s interior ministers want to extend the current entry ban on outside travelers “by 14 days until July 1.”
It is important to note that neither the Comission, nor the Council have legal power to close external border. It only works as long as all member states agree. "Most" is not enough, because no matter what they vote for, it will still only be a recommendation. If some member states decide to ignore it, they are free to admit whoever they want to (subject to normal Schengen rules). Several Schengen states already announced they plan to open to some non-EU nationals from mid-June.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by 8420PR
If I was a betting man, I would put money on the border still being closed on July 6th, but who knows.

To me it's 50% chances US citizens will be able to enter, 50% chances they will not.

It will depend on the amount of pressure the countries that welcomes a lot of US tourists will put on the EU. It will also depends on how high opening the US to ESTA holders is a priority for the US administration actually...

I'm seeing Schengen exterior borders opening in early july for countries like Japan, Korea, GCC countries, Hong Kong, some chinese provinces etc... But not for Brazil. And not for the US if they are not pushing forward a bilateral open for tourists...

Last edited by IstKong; Jun 7, 2020 at 7:15 am
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:44 am

Many Schengen countries are only opening borders to residents of other nearby countries. So even if you get in one Schengen country from outside the EU, there is no guarantee you'd be allowed in.

Ie if you get in Austria, only if you're a resident are you allowed in the Czech Republic or Slovakia.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810
You can notice that there are two different exceptions. The first is related to where the flight originates (and it doesn't matter what citizenship one holds), while the second is based on citizenship (and it doesn't matter where you arrive from). In other words, everyone can enter from EU*. EU citizenship only becomes relevant when entering from outside the Union. Therefore, US citizen can enter from the UK, but not directly from the US.

Conclusion: The UK loophole does exist.
It seems to me that you are reading "arriving from" as meaning "being on a flight from." It could mean that but it could also meant to refer to individuals who have been resident in the European country concerned, regardless of nationality. You would need to look at how the actual legal text is drafted and how it is interpreted by the immigration authorities.
notquiteaff and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Anyone know if US citizens are allowed to connect in Schengen airports when flying to/from Greece?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The US embassy in Greece maintains a covid-19 page and regularly update the rules and restrictions. Available here. They clearly state that "Origination is the first flight on your travel itinerary.", regarding a question posted earlier about what counts as origin airport.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by NickB
It seems to me that you are reading "arriving from" as meaning "being on a flight from." It could mean that but it could also meant to refer to individuals who have been resident in the European country concerned, regardless of nationality. You would need to look at how the actual legal text is drafted and how it is interpreted by the immigration authorities.
Countries that base entry requirements on residency have this clearly stated. Frankly, I can't imagine why would anyone use the phrase "arriving from" if they meant residency.

As another example, here's Sweden which has following rules in place:
Passengers arriving from outside Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to nationals of Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City (Holy See), and their family members, if the purpose of the journey is to return to his or her home.
- This does not apply to passengers with a British passport and their family members, if the purpose of the journey is to return to his or her home.
- This does not apply to passengers with a residence permit issued by Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom or Vatican City (Holy See), if the purpose of the journey is to return to his or her home.
Residency is listed as a separate exception, therefore it obviously doesn't fall under "arriving from". Contrary, the text says that people can enter if they arrive from the EU or if they are EU citizens/residents (and arrive from anywhere in the world).

Portugal even specifically lists Brazilian airports where passengers can arrive from. I presume they don't mean that entry is allowed for people residing at the airport, but rather that it's allowed for people originating at that airport.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Germany is not going to enforce a quarantine for UK and Sweden arrivals. My understanding is it is just advising its own citizens against non essential travel to the UK and Sweden
​​
I understand that quarantine rules in Germany are issued by the states (someone correct me). Lower Saxony today imposed a 14 day quarantine on residents returning from Sweden due to a spike in cases in Sweden.

https://www.ms.niedersachsen.de/star...ne-189027.html

As I read it, it talks about residents of Lower Saxony, but it obviously doesn’t make much sense to restrict movement of residents returning from Sweden and let tourists from Sweden roam freely.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I understand that quarantine rules in Germany are issued by the states (someone correct me). Lower Saxony today imposed a 14 day quarantine on residents returning from Sweden due to a spike in cases in Sweden.

https://www.ms.niedersachsen.de/star...ne-189027.html

As I read it, it talks about residents of Lower Saxony, but it obviously doesn’t make much sense to restrict movement of residents returning from Sweden and let tourists from Sweden roam freely.
Seems a bit futile if a Swedish national flew into Berlin and then got a train to Lower Saxony, how can they enforce this? If the German Federal Police are in charge of the borders, how can they administer individual states travel restrictions?

That said I had not realised that Germany was quarantining arrivals from countries with a higher infection than 50 per 100,000 in the last 7 days. The UK is at around 19/100,000 was very surprised to see Sweden is above 60/100,000. I thought this was virus was going away so that is not good news at all.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810
Countries that base entry requirements on residency have this clearly stated. Frankly, I can't imagine why would anyone use the phrase "arriving from" if they meant residency.

As another example, here's Sweden which has following rules in place:

Residency is listed as a separate exception, therefore it obviously doesn't fall under "arriving from". Contrary, the text says that people can enter if they arrive from the EU or if they are EU citizens/residents (and arrive from anywhere in the world).
a) I do not read the passage that you quoted as supporting your last sentend (=the bit which is highlighted above)
b) what you are quoting does not look to me like a legal text but rather a statement purporting to explain what the rules say. I would suggest that verifying the former would be needed to form a properly informed view as to what the situation genuinely is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.