Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Thanks - is this confirmed then?
Re Poland, I maybe spoke too soon? I can't find the source I saw before. But. It says to "EU citizens". UK citizens are for all intents and purposes, still EU citizens.

I see nothing on the Polish Embassy UK Facebook page or their embassy site.

If anyone finds anything official on that, feel free to share...I will keep hunting.

Last edited by Dan1113; Jun 14, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
That is a huge loophole! Solution is to fly to Croatia or Albania and cross from there!

Seen some of your posts regards Scotland and its low rate, I agree. However I think for countries to exempt Scotland but not the rest of the UK is as similarly unworkable as Czechia exempting all of Poland bar 1 province. How on earth does a country police this? It is almost like they expect their border forces to be mind reading magicians or something with all these silly rules, restrictions etc. Best thing to do is just exempt everyone and have increased health checks on arrival! Good old Turkey and Serbia leading the way on this.
Reminds me of the Greek one, it's based on where you fly from, not where you live as of tomorrow.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by the810
There may be some key the police uses to determine where to check, but I have no idea what it is. When I encountered spot checks, they were directly at the border or wherever the abandonded border facility from pre-Schengen times was, e.g. coming from Slovakia using D2 highway, it was maybe 5 km into Czechia (but before the first exit in CZ, so essentialy anyone who arrived there arrived from abroad). I don't think there is any kind of internal checks.

It applies since train services were resumed (I think it was two or three weeks ago). I never head of any check actually being performed on a train. Such check would be done on the train on Czech territory (maybe in the border section between Bad Schandau and Decin). Pre-check in Germany would not work for variety of reasons (I can hardly imagine Czech police in Berlin preventing people from boarding a train towards Dresden).

Under current rules (which expire today), residency could be proven either by a formal residency document or by two supporting documents proving some links to the country, such as EHIC, lease agreement, job contract, etc. I have no idea whether this also applies from tomorrow.

The whole thing is super-confusing and unfortunatelly reading the legal document raises even more questions than it answers. However, one thing is relatively clear to me and that is that only residents of green countries will be admitted to Czechia. The document does not list any exception for residents of orange countries.

In any case, I would not recommend trying to sneak into the country, it can have all kinds of bad consequences and you don't want to be put into Schengen Information System as persona nongrata by a member state, especially on the basis of illegal border crossing. This could significantly complicate your future travels into the EU. If you really want to visit Czechia, I recommend that you get tested and then you can enter without any problems.
Can EU citizens really be put onto SIS because of border issues, given freedom of movement? I am not suggesting I will try to get to into CZ, I am just more...curious really.

I would have no issues with betting a test but if you look at some of the pages, it says foreigners from orange/red countries can only enter with a test and for business and other purposes (not tourism), so based on those texts, it wouldn't do me much good anyway to pay 200 euro in Germany for that!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:57 pm

Got it.

Poland’s borders reopen for EU citizens on 13 June. EU citizens entering Poland after 13 June will no longer have to undergo quarantine. This applies to UK citizens until end of 2020. But we currently advise against all non-essential international travel.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Excellent!
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf
I'm still not sure if Spain is allowing UK in or not after 21st June, all the Spanish papers say EU only which many are interpreting to say excludes the UK.
Found this clarifying Spain say UK is included.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...al-chiefs.html
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paulaf
Found this clarifying Spain say UK is included.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...al-chiefs.html
This from June 22nd?

Quite confused as to what Spain is saying, as I was wondering whether it is doing away with its quarantine then too or waiting for July 1st to do away with it.

Eurgh, so done with all these restrictions.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Can EU citizens really be put onto SIS because of border issues, given freedom of movement? I am not suggesting I will try to get to into CZ, I am just more...curious really.
I believe that illegal border crossing can result in being declared a persona non grata, which may lead to a record in SIS.

I would have no issues with betting a test but if you look at some of the pages, it says foreigners from orange/red countries can only enter with a test and for business and other purposes (not tourism), so based on those texts, it wouldn't do me much good anyway to pay 200 euro in Germany for that!
You are, unfortunatelly, right. My apologies.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by the810
I believe that illegal border crossing can result in being declared a persona non grata, which may lead to a record in SIS.
Given the lack of clarity of the rules in particular around orange countries, surely you would just be not allowed in and asked to return, at worst?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Given the lack of clarity of the rules in particular around orange countries, surely you would just be not allowed in and asked to return, at worst?
Another thing is what defines business travel? If you were to run your own company, or make a letter on word with your company logo explaining you had to go to that country for business would that not suffice?

This comes back to my previous argument about covid19 test certificates. One can easily make one up on word.

Unless these border guards are mind readers I do not see how on earth they are supposed to police these policies.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by exp
What's wrong with the Migros chain?
Nothing. I prefer Coop most of the time but they're pretty similar. I tend to go to France for fish & patisseries, and Germany for toiletries/washing stuff. it's not a big deal and one can - of course - get everything one needs here in Basel, but I also enjoy cycling around the 3-country area.

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Aren't Swiss supermarkets crazy expensive compared to Germany and France?
They used to be. Swiss prices haven't changed in many years - in fact they've come down slightly. Food in nearby countries has gone up in price. So they're closer than they were, although certain things (e.g. branded wasbhing powder, shower gels etc) cost at least double compared to Germany.

Isnt everything in Switzerland mega expensive? That said apparently a pint of beer in Switzerland is around 6 quid in a bar, which I suppose is cheaper than Norway!
True, but on the other hand beer and wine is very cheap in the supermarkets, and sitting in parks or by the river with your own drink and food (bbqs allowed everywhere) mitigates that.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
No idea. The law is clear enough - no entry, unless extempted (and there's no exception for orange countries). I generally find Czech police to be very reasonable, but I wouldn't risk it.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:30 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Aegean Airlines just sent out this email.

To help you plan your next travel, here are some key points of the flight restrictions currently imposed by the Greek Government for arrivals to Greece effective June 15th and until June 30th 2020.

Arriving passengers are categorized in accordance with their origin in three distinct groups as follows:

GROUP A: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland.

GROUP B: Albania, Belgium, France, Italy, North Macedonia, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, other non-EU countries.

- Passengers arriving at Athens International Airport originating from GROUP A will be subject to random Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

- Passengers arriving at Athens International Airport originating from GROUP B, either with a direct flight or through a country included in Group A, will be subject to 100% Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

- Passengers arriving at Thessaloniki Airport, will be subject to 100% Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

All international passengers will be provided during check in or on board, with a Passenger Location Form, to be filled and provided to the authorities upon arrival.

Tested passengers have to compulsory self-isolate in the address they will declare for 24 hours, until the testing outcome is available.

Connecting Passengers are subject to COVID-19 testing upon their arrival in Athens or Thessaloniki and will be able to continue their trip to their final destination, where they will self-isolate until the testing outcome is available.

Furthermore, the Greek Goverment has extended flight restrictions from/to UK and Turkey until June 29th, 2020.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by exp
Aegean Airlines just sent out this email.
It will be interesting to see how this will look like after June 30th.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Independence Day is finally here. Europe is almost back to normal for jetsetting! June 15 2020, the day where you can travel like the old days across almost all of Europe (UK not included)
The_Bouncer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.