Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by paulaf
Do you think if we agree an air bridge with Greece they will still do the random testing In July, I don't fancy being herded off for several hours and then having to self isolate for 24 hours waste of holiday?
There are two main possibilities, I think:

1. All UK flights tested upon arrival, by agreement (somebody here mentioned that; but less likely).

2. Flights from around the world are tested randomly, but UK flights may be more disproportionately tested, along with other "high risk" countries, at least in the beginning.

The second option is more likely, but keep in mind that flight volume will also likely increase a lot after July 1, and currently I think they only test about 10-12 flights a day (or 1600 passengers), which may be their limit in terms of resources. Also, my understanding is that, after you get tested, you are allowed to proceed to final destination, and get the results there the next day.

So, if you fly LHR-ATH-HER, you get tested in ATH, proceed to HER, and get the results there the next day (you leave contact info with them, if random tested).

EDIT: Video in Greek, showing ATH and the testing procedures. The test looks like a relatively easy throat swab.

https://www.skai.gr/videos/anoiksan-...t-se-touristes

Last edited by nk15; Jun 17, 2020 at 1:47 pm
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I grabbed this map which shows the situation on 18/June for HU citizens as tourists (hence the white spot in the middle) Might serve as a general reference

(light green - open, free togo, dark green - opening soon, yellow - quarantine, etc on entry, red - not open for tourists)

The UK should obviously fall into the yellow category. Note that for Baltic and Scandinavian citizens the reds in the North are mainly light green

HU citizens do not need to self-isolate anymore, no matter where they return from anywhere in the world.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Denmark is opening to Swedish tourists from around the 27th of June. But in the eyes of Denmark not all Swedish tourists are equal; and so some Swedes will be allowed into Denmark more easily than other Swedes, and it depends on the region of residence within Sweden.
The_Bouncer and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:07 am

What about entry into Hungary? Are all EU+CH+UK citizens allowed?

UK is part of Denmark's reopening! Woo.

Austria is allowing travel to/from Spain as of 20 June they announced today, so only UK, PT, and SE left on its bad books. Hopefully UK off their (and CZ's) bad books soon. Denmark's move is a good sign...
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Denmark is opening to Swedish tourists from around the 27th of June. But in the eyes of Denmark not all Swedish tourists are equal; and so some Swedes will be allowed into Denmark more easily than other Swedes, and it depends on the region of residence within Sweden.
What about other EU citizens entering from Sweden?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nk15
Several countries, like Spain, Germany, etc, use the following language for exempt passengers currently allowed in their country [EU] "Passengers returning via [Spain] to their place of residency".

Does anyone know how they interpret "place of residency"? Do they go with country of citizenship/passport (for citizens) as place of residency, or do they want proof of actual residency in the country you are headed to?
Place of residency = where you live. It should not be hard to properly document where you live.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
As countries are reopening and allowing tourists in, why should it matter what your citizenship or residency is? Instead, shouldn't there be a list of high risk countries, and if you've been to one of them in the past 14 days you're not allowed in. If you haven't you're good to go. What am I missing here?

Last edited by justforfun; Jun 18, 2020 at 7:36 am
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by justforfun
As country are reopening and allowing tourists in, why should it matter what your citizenship or residency is? Instead, shouldn't there be a list of high risk countries, and if you've been to one of them in the past 14 days you're not allowed in. If you haven't you're good to go. What am I missing here?
You're being too logical for governments.
84fiero, LETTERBOY, the810 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by nk15
There are two main possibilities, I think:

1. All UK flights tested upon arrival, by agreement (somebody here mentioned that; but less likely).

2. Flights from around the world are tested randomly, but UK flights may be more disproportionately tested, along with other "high risk" countries, at least in the beginning.

The second option is more likely, but keep in mind that flight volume will also likely increase a lot after July 1, and currently I think they only test about 10-12 flights a day (or 1600 passengers), which may be their limit in terms of resources. Also, my understanding is that, after you get tested, you are allowed to proceed to final destination, and get the results there the next day.

So, if you fly LHR-ATH-HER, you get tested in ATH, proceed to HER, and get the results there the next day (you leave contact info with them, if random tested).

EDIT: Video in Greek, showing ATH and the testing procedures. The test looks like a relatively easy throat swab.

https://www.skai.gr/videos/anoiksan-...t-se-touristes
Thanks for that, do you think they will have the resources to do this on all the islands after 1st July, I'm thinking about Preveza and Rhodes specifically? Do you have to self isolate whilst waiting for the results, if so is it ok to go shopping as if self catering it could be considered essential?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Do we have any idea when the EU will announce the July 1 green list? Beyond that, has anyone verified that you can actually circumvent the larger EU policies by entering Greece or Portugal and then continuing intra-Schengen?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Do we have any idea when the EU will announce the July 1 green list? Beyond that, has anyone verified that you can actually circumvent the larger EU policies by entering Greece or Portugal and then continuing intra-Schengen?
Balkan countries are the main rumours at this point, the likes of Montenegro etc.

Even if you got in via Portugal or Greece it would be a bit futile because, as mentioned above, it is by residency that people are being allowed in, not departure point, for pretty much every EU state. You would be denied boarding going pretty much anywhere without being able to prove you live in a country that is green-lit by the next country you are going to.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Balkan countries are the main rumours at this point, the likes of Montenegro etc.

Even if you got in via Portugal or Greece it would be a bit futile because, as mentioned above, it is by residency that people are being allowed in, not departure point, for pretty much every EU state. You would be denied boarding going pretty much anywhere without being able to prove you live in a country that is green-lit by the next country you are going to.
What if you flew to Portugal then drove across the borders to your next destination? An American friend of mine departed the UK ~2 weeks ago and drove through France to Monaco and on to Italy with no problems.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

GR only cares about origin.

Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Portugal, France, Germany, Switzerland and I am sure more don't care at all, as long as you are an EU citizen.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about entry into Hungary? Are all EU+CH+UK citizens allowed?
EDITED to correct: according to legislation 291/2020 all EU, CH, NO, IS, LI & RS citizens may freely enter HU. Also UA citizens may enter, but must stay within 20 miles of the border. KR & JP citizens may also enter on business, if they are mangers/working for a company registered in HU (read: Samsung, Suzuki, etc) (or maybe registerd in the EU - the text is ambiguous. If I read it correctly, UK citizens are NOT allowed in, they are explicitly excluded from the list.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jun 18, 2020 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Place of residency = where you live. It should not be hard to properly document where you live.
First, define "properly" Next, if the documentation needs to be in a language the authorities understand, it could be VERY difficult. In some other cases it might be next to impossible.(talking about EU citizen living in another EU country)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.