Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 14, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Owenc
In Northern Ireland our R0 number is 0.7 and we are nowhere near open.

I would bet a lot of states that reopened two weeks ago are well above 0.7.
So? The R0 in Germany is below 1, and the RKI now focuses on publishing the 7 day trend. New cases and deaths continue to decline, even if the states opened even faster than Mutti and Drosten wanted. The media in various countries built drama about a few days above 1, and yet so far there is no indication that things are heading in the wrong direction.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Somehow abiding by rules where you are respectful to your fellow humans is somehow being positioned as a crime to humanity, nice try, LOL

We shop at Trade Joes, Safeway, QFC, have been doing take out almost every other day, if there was more interesting options we would. We feel fortunate that my sons and all are not effected and continue to have to work our long hours from my house. Wife has never been busier cooking and bring order out in. But don't agree with the the idea that we all should all go about and pretend nothing is happening and spend as much and travel as much, that is a irresponsible global statement designed to divide people, sad actually.

I am disappointed we didn't make our annual spring skiing trip to Utah/Whistler or our planned European cruise etc. etc., simply not the right thing to do in this current situation.

BTW why do you think Amazon gets all the mone soley? OMG they get the product for free, just like Costco, got it, Amazon isn't w/o faults but to position them as no more predatory a business than any airline or other business is disingenuous
I didn't write any of those things. Go back and read my post again.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
So? The R0 in Germany is below 1, and the RKI now focuses on publishing the 7 day trend. New cases and deaths continue to decline, even if the states opened even faster than Mutti and Drosten wanted. The media in various countries built drama about a few days above 1, and yet so far there is no indication that things are heading in the wrong direction.
Germany is not an American state that puts economy over health.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Owenc
Germany is not an American state that puts economy over health.
I certainly don't agree with how the US handled things, but some of the states which have opened are not yet seeing a corresponding increase. And as noted, countries are counting figures differently so not always comparable.

All signs are to things winding downward in Europe, and hopefully in the US as well.

Re quarantine, NRW and Saarland have now joined Niedersachsen in removing the 14 day quarantine. As LH is also reinstating FRA to HAJ flights, the options to avoid to have to quarantine on return will most likely further increase in coming days, and the interior minister actually recommended to lift the quarantine in the states for EU arrivals.

Last edited by exbayern; May 15, 2020 at 12:05 am
Old May 15, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania created a “travel bubble” and are now open to each other’s residents.
8420PR, narvik and Owenc like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Slovenia has become the first European country to proclaim an end to the coronavirus epidemic at home, AP reports.

It said on Friday that the Covid-19 spread is under control and there is no longer a need for extraordinary health measures. The government says EU residents are free to cross into Slovenia from Austria, Italy and Hungary at predetermined checkpoints, while most non-EU nationals will have to undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine.

The first coronavirus case in Slovenia was recorded on 4 March, in a returnee from neighbouring Italy. By May 13, there were 1,467 confirmed cases and 103 deaths in Slovenia.
narvik likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:00 am

Italy is also reopening to travel within Italy at the start of June.
Goldorak likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by mcbg1
If you have a light case, you don't go to the doctor. Problem solved.
Very reckless comment of you. So you forget the contamination??
mcbg1 likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:10 am

It is for the best to let those in Europe(citizens and permanent residents) travel within the continent first. After a while and if everyone respects and follows the security and medical guidances, the whole continent wil be open for everybody! Let us help each other contain the virus in our backyard before letting others get infected, right!!!
Old May 15, 2020, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Redmax
It is for the best to let those in Europe(citizens and permanent residents) travel within the continent first. After a while and if everyone respects and follows the security and medical guidances, the whole continent wil be open for everybody! Let us help each other contain the virus in our backyard before letting others get infected, right!!!
WHO says border closures do nothing when a virus is pandemic. Let everybody in.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
National borders within the EU/Schengen area were never fully closed; they were mainly just an effort at reducing non-essential traffic. And the Schengen area’s external borders were also only “closed” to non-essential traffic so as to greatly reduce non-essential traffic into the EU/Schengen area.

Denmark seems to have a growing consensus to open Denmark up to traffic from Germany and Norway but to continue to block traffic from Sweden. Can’t say I’m surprised that Denmark has parties calling to continue to lock out Sweden mostly in the manner which Denmark has had in operation for several weeks now.
Old May 15, 2020, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
National borders within the EU/Schengen area were never fully closed; they were mainly just an effort at reducing non-essential traffic. And the Schengen area’s external borders were also only “closed” to non-essential traffic so as to greatly reduce non-essential traffic into the EU/Schengen area.
The same could be said about the U.S.-Canada border. It's not been fully closed either but strictly limited to essential traffic. So far no one on either side of the border is making grandiose guarantees of a "summer tourist season" in North America.
Old May 15, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania created a “travel bubble” and are now open to each other’s residents.
Good idea!
Old May 15, 2020, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Coronavirus is highly contagious so the odds of getting sick aren't necessarily low. And absolutely none of the re-opening proposals address this basic scenario:

"What happens if I take a trip to [wherever], and on Day 5 I feel sick, go to a doctor, and find out I have Coronavirus? Not even a severe case, but one where I'll need to stay quarantined in a room for two weeks. Nearly all travel insurance excludes COVID-19 coverage, so who's paying for the extra two weeks in a hotel during peak season?"
In a normal high season in Europe, it wouldn't even be possible to extend one's hotel stay beyond the period of the reservation. What happens then? Quarantine in a hospital is a very inefficient use of medical resources and could arguably cause a mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic (assuming that all traveling companions would also be subject to quarantine) person to become much worse.
nerdbirdsjc likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In a normal high season in Europe, it wouldn't even be possible to extend one's hotel stay beyond the period of the reservation. What happens then? Quarantine in a hospital is a very inefficient use of medical resources and could arguably cause a mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic (assuming that all traveling companions would also be subject to quarantine) person to become much worse.
I assume they will use the same facilities they use now for people who cannot quarantine at home. Maybe a bunch of low tier hotels/ motels designated for that purpose? Where you would also have to fight the bedbugs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.