Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Resources Link to FT Thread on the 14-Day Quarantine for Arriving Visitors and Returning Residents to the State of Hawai`i: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...26-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
If you arrive in JFK, say, from a "red" state you are expected to complete (or have completed) a special form and quarantine for 14 days. But if you started in a "green" state and only connected through (< 24 hrs) a "red" from my reading of the rules you are exempt.
I arrived from LAS on Sept. 14 (at approx. 00:30), there were agents at the gate handing out forms to complete--but Nevada went "green" that day.
On a more recent trip they moved the "form center" to the baggage collection area, with one agent for the entire terminal.
States are not separated by walls, so crossing the street you can go between "green" and "red", making the draconian rules NYS has imposed just seem like they are accomplishing their intended purpose.
Interesting case in point, Hoover Dam "bridges"* ARIZONA "green" on one side and NEVADA "red" So vacationing at HD, if you stayed on the NV side you must quar., but on the AZ side you don't.
*in the summer the clock on the NV side of HD is one hour different from the AZ side (no DST).
Just shows you the rules are compete BS.
The only reasonable course of action is to boycott NY until further notice.
Boraxo and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA DL AA WN VX AS
I am trying to help a friend who will come to the USA from JPN in December.
As far as I can tell there is no Federal level quarantine required, but there are some states with quarantine requirements.
His plan is to come to California for two weeks and then go to Philadelphia (his ultimate goal).

As far as I could tell he can just transit in California and fly on to Philadelphia.

I read all the linked documentation and can't find anything definitive, can anyone help me on this?

Sorry if this is answered somewhere and I missed it.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by AlanSFO
I am trying to help a friend who will come to the USA from JPN in December.
As far as I can tell there is no Federal level quarantine required, but there are some states with quarantine requirements.
His plan is to come to California for two weeks and then go to Philadelphia (his ultimate goal).

As far as I could tell he can just transit in California and fly on to Philadelphia.

I read all the linked documentation and can't find anything definitive, can anyone help me on this?
I'm afraid I haven't followed the situation of quarantines in US, so I certainly cannot give definitive answers, but it is worth to remember that the current regulations may no longer apply in December since the trends in case numbers have been on rise in so many places that it wouldn't surprise if some authority enacted stricter measures to battle with the pandemic.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:21 am

You can Google the state name and Covid travel restrictions. For Pennsylvania I find https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/dis...Travelers.aspx . They appear only to "recommend" quarantine when coming from certain places.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 5:29 pm

I'm currently working in the NY and my OH is thinking of visiting for Christmas and we plan to go skiing in California.

He is a UK citizen and is based in London but he will work from home from a country not on the restricted listed for 14 days before flying over. (Glad his job is fairly flexible in that respect!)

Currently there are two plans.

Plan 1

He will come to New York and WFH from there for two weeks thereby satisfying the 14 day self-isolation requirement by the NY Gov

We will then travel to California together and ski for a week and fly back to NY. We will stay in NY for another week before flying to London together.

Plan 2

He will come to New York and will fly to California on the same day thereby satisfying the passage requirement set by the NY Gov.

We will then travel to California together and ski for a week and fly back to NY. We will stay in NY for another week before flying to London together.

I have a few questions.

1 If he comes to NY a few days before flying to CA (i.e. neither plan above), presumably he will be in breach of the quarantine rule. As this is a domestic flight, will he get found out (his passport will be stamped upon entry to the US)

2 Similar question on the way back. Currently there are no restrictions for travelling from CA to NY but this may change. If this does change and NY Gov imposes quarantine for CA visitors will we be allowed to board the flight to London which will be a week after we fly back from CA. In theory since this is a domestic flight there is no way they could tell from our passport we’ve been away from the NY state?

3 Currently there are no travel restrictions on travel to CA within the US. Will he need to self-isolate upon landing in CA under plan 2? My research suggests not but I’d like to double check.

4 When flying between NY and CA, does TSA flip through your passport to see your arrival date/visa etc? Could you be denied boarding because you breach the 14 day quarantine rule?

Obviously if CA imposes self-isolation on visitors then there’s nothing we can do and we will cancel the trip altogether.

I want to add that we have no intention to flout the rules. I’m just trying to be more informed so that we can make sure we don’t break the rules.

I hope I have covered all (well, most) the possible scenarios. Happy for any other suggestions to get round this. Only requirement is that the international flights have to arrive/depart from NY.

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
1-2-3-4: No, no, no, no. For internal travel within the USA, nobody cares, nobody checks, nada. TSA is concerned with water bottle confiscation and narco traffickers. They don’t look twice at your itinerary. The only COVID questions will be at customs immigration and that’s only upon entry to USA to ferret out sick people.
California doesn’t care where you have been just wear a mask in public and be smart. NYC has lot of rules but zero enforcement. This is the state that sent sick people back home to reinfect others and die. Not a model of success.
BLV likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:35 pm

Also, the NY quarantine rule is 14 days or the length of your stay, whichever is shorter. So either way you won't flout the rules if you stay less than 2 weeks in NY on either end.

But yeah, nobody cares, zero enforcement. I don't know why this thread even exists, it is giving out a false sense of what is happening on the ground.
Boraxo and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:06 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, KLM/Air France
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Also, the NY quarantine rule is 14 days or the length of your stay, whichever is shorter. So either way you won't flout the rules if you stay less than 2 weeks in NY on either end.

But yeah, nobody cares, zero enforcement. I don't know why this thread even exists, it is giving out a false sense of what is happening on the ground.
Hi - as someone who has to travel from the UK to NY due to a family issue, I find your first point someone reassuring. My visit is roughly 8 days - need to go sign docs for my father's house sale (he is in the UK and not fit to travel) and pick things up from his property.

I was concerned that I'd be stopped from leaving the US as I'll be there for less than 14 days of self-quarantine. Is there a link to that somewhere? I couldn't find anything on t'internet.

As I'm renting a car from JFK, it will most likely have out-of-state plates - does anyone know if the police are enforcing this quarantine business on the roads? I don't want to get stopped for having some non-NY plates on the way to/from his property.

The whole concept is really strange - if you're on your own, how on earth are you supposed to eat, for example - if you can't go to the shops? I guess I'll have to pack my bags with 14 days' worth of tinned food and ramen :-D
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:42 am

US has no exit controls, you can leave within 1 minute of entering. Car rental from jfk not an issue, no discrimination being done based on license plates, we rented a car in nyc last month and drove it all around the state and to neighboring states no issues.
Boraxo and matei72 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:57 am

Flying from TLV to DCA through JFK (Quarantine-related)

Hi everyone, I've been trying to find the answer to this myself, but I can't
find very definitive answers. Here's the situation:

Girlfriend (non-US citizen, traveling with an approved ESTA and planning on
entering the states with VWP) is supposed to fly from TLV to DCA through JFK
tomorrow night (21st). Will she have to quarantine upon her arrival in JFK, even
though she's only connecting there?

As far as entering the states, I have done my research and it should be no
problem.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I believe there is no need to quarantine in NYC on arrival ,just proceed to your next flight.

Regard
Tbs
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I believe there is no need to quarantine in NYC on arrival ,just proceed to your next flight.

Regard
Tbs
Thanks much
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:11 am

Hi all -

I'm planning a trip to NYC for late November, does anyone have info how is quarantine enforced in NY state? I'm reading mixed comments online, some people are saying that I need to stay quarantined for 14 days and other people are saying that although I need to stay, the policies are not strictly enforced.

Since I plan to stay only 5 days I'm not sure if the quarantine of 14 days will be justified.
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by laziale
Hi all -

I'm planning a trip to NYC for late November, does anyone have info how is quarantine enforced in NY state? I'm reading mixed comments online, some people are saying that I need to stay quarantined for 14 days and other people are saying that although I need to stay, the policies are not strictly enforced.

Since I plan to stay only 5 days I'm not sure if the quarantine of 14 days will be justified.
Thanks in advance
You can leave before the 14 days is over.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by laziale
Hi all -

Thanks in advance
Cancel your trip. There is nothing of substance in the dumpster fire that is NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.