Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Resources Link to FT Thread on the 14-Day Quarantine for Arriving Visitors and Returning Residents to the State of Hawai`i: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...26-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

This thread has been created for discussing USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures. All FT rules apply.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion of political/government actions to aid the economy is in the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

FT Coronovirus and travel forum moderators
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 20, 2020 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton Honors, Hertz
Domestic Travel Restrictions Being Considered by Govt in the USA

Friend called my wife in a panic because she heard domestic flights were going to be grounded starting Tuesday.

I've found nothing supporting this after a bit of googling. Has anyone here heard chatter anywhere about us domestic flights being grounded next week?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by austinrob
Friend called my wife in a panic because she heard domestic flights were going to be grounded starting Tuesday.

I've found nothing supporting this after a bit of googling. Has anyone here heard chatter anywhere about us domestic flights being grounded next week?
Curious about this too. It would bring the United States to a literal halt.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
A domestic flight shutdown is under consideration by the White House team but no decision yet.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:55 am

This would largely be ineffective unless there is a domestic travel ban to Montana, the only state thought to be not affected. The cat is already out of the bag. Every state has it. Transmission of Covid-19 is within a state. If you get it, you get it from someone else in the state who likely never left the state.
seawolf and nmpls like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do US laws allow a state to say "no one comes in from other states"? If this thing gets really really bad, we might have to move people to facilities in different parts of the country. There were already some "not in my backyard" (NIMBY) actions. It will be interesting to see how Americans band together to fight this thing.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flyupfront
A domestic flight shutdown is under consideration by the White House team but no decision yet.
Link would be good. Otherwise its just people say stuff.

Heres one:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ns/5050097002/

President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence on Saturday said the government is considering domestic travel restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic and added United Kingdom and Irelandto the Europe travel restrictions that went into effect late Friday.

They did not offer specifics ondomestic flight restrictions but Trump said earlier this week that they would be considered if "an area gets a little bit out of control'' in terms of coronavirus cases.

Pence said at a White House news conference Saturday that a "broad range of measures'' are under consideration.

"But no decisions have been made yet,'' he said.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton Honors, Hertz
Ok. From discussion I've had elsewhere, this appears to be confusion between the UK and Ireland restriction being implemented, the dod employee travel restrictions, and the "considerations" for travel restrictions in certain areas of the US.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by username
Do US laws allow a state to say "no one comes in from other states"? If this thing gets really really bad, we might have to move people to facilities in different parts of the country. There were already some "not in my backyard" (NIMBY) actions. It will be interesting to see how Americans band together to fight this thing.
There's a page on the CDC's website that addresses legal powers available during a national pandemic. Sounds like the federal government can place restrictions on inter-state travel in an emergency, probably in the form of checkpoints at roads and at airports.

"Under 42 Code of Federal Regulations parts 70 and 71, CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine, and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases."
SamirD, ajGoes and Owenc like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
There's a page on the CDC's website that addresses legal powers available during a national pandemic. Sounds like the federal government can place restrictions on inter-state travel in an emergency, probably in the form of checkpoints at roads and at airports.

"Under 42 Code of Federal Regulations parts 70 and 71, CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine, and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases."
I am sure the Feds can do this. However, can a State say "we are closing"?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Interesting development if it comes to pass. I guess for us living in Hawaii it isn't the worst place to be "grounded" as long as the ships keep coming in with TP and Spam. We can't just take a car to a neighboring state, in spite of our three Interstate highways.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by username
I am sure the Feds can do this. However, can a State say "we are closing"?
Depending on the law of the state in question, but in an emergency, the state government could impose curfews, close roads and things of that nature.
GadgetFreak and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nall
Depending on the law of the state in question, but in an emergency, the state government could impose curfews, close roads and things of that nature.
Likely yes, but constitutional arguments can be made for either side.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Interesting development if it comes to pass. I guess for us living in Hawaii it isn't the worst place to be "grounded" as long as the ships keep coming in with TP and Spam. We can't just take a car to a neighboring state, in spite of our three Interstate highways.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...g-hawaii-trip/

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...cials-confirm/
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:43 pm

Domestic Travel Restrictions Being Considered by Govt in the USA

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...e2b411e5518a7c

"Areas hard hit with the coronavirus could be affected, White House says"

"President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence said today that the administration is considering some domestic travel restrictions, specifically with regards to certain areas hard hit with the coronavirus."

"There have been internal discussions about restricting travel to areas in Washington state and other places considered 'hot spots' for the virus. Its unclear how far along they are in implementing them, people familiar with the matter told CNN."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.