Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Resources Link to FT Thread on the 14-Day Quarantine for Arriving Visitors and Returning Residents to the State of Hawai`i: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...26-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Your quotes are accurate but the reality on the ground is different. From what I have personally observed and heard, many hotels are not checking in-state visitors at check-in at least in NorCal. We checked into a Hyatt Place and no comment was made except that they were grateful for my business. Also it does not appear that AirBnB has shut down listings as it did earlier this year during Stay-At-Home part one. So there is a stay-at-home order but I see zero enforcement for in-state residents. I'm not advocating one way or another here (that's another forum) just providing practical info - you can make your own decisions.
You may have missed this in my post before (several posts above the you were replying to):

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Regarding hotels: Reports back in the spring were sporadic (in some hotel forums on FT), but a few hotels were asking for documentation proving that the guest was an "essential" worker. The very few people who reported the hotel demanding that, those people had such letters on them, so they didn't know how the hotel would have handled someone not having such letters. I didn't see any report back then of someone being asked for such documentation by the hotel and not being able to provide it. (But then, none of the reports I saw were from right at the start of the spring shutdowns; they were well into them, by which time everyone know which places were shut down and most people were avoiding hotel stays in such places.)
So, yes, many (most?) hotels didn't check back then but some did. It's probably roughly the same now (ie, not zero, but not many). So it's best if you have such documentation that you can have with you (ready to pull out if needed), or if you don't have such documentation, be prepared in case one hotel turns you away because of that.

I doubt that it's truly "zero" enforcement, but that the enforcement is very sporadic (and done by the hotel management, not by someone outside the hotel). Some hotels managers are more scared of whatever than others, and thus some hotel managers may enforce various things that others don't.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pallas
Thanks, folks. I just don't like being tracked and on a database (I have a covid test done every other week for work and am healthy besides sinuses/allergies). It's quite different in the one police state in the country where an online form produces a QR code, and on arrival in most of the airports, there are national guardsmen either checking for the QR code or making you fill out the paper form, right near the gates.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you're referring to NY, the reference to it as a "police state" threw me off since it's not like any real ones and is not even making an effort to be a very effective one (if it were even trying to be that). Filling out a health form and then maybe getting some reminder text message about the Covid-19 situation isn't anything worse than than the pre-Covid-19 stuff that has gone on when at US airports, elsewhere inside the US when "near" the US's international borders, or even at times over the decades for some interstate domestic travel. As you're using US commercial flights presumably with a valid ID for yourself: you're always being tracked when doing so, and that is with your booked travels piling into databases. And even using a cheap disposable (no-internet connectivity) phone with a disposable prepaid phone SIM to try to minimize being tracked provides no protection from the surveillance systems aimed at travelers by desire of the federal authorities.

NY area airports have way more of an effort underway to get the contact info for public health purposes and to use it a bit than LAX or SFO does. It's not so bad to get a text message from NYS about the Covid-19 situation even after leaving the state following a transit using the PANYNJ airports. Actually, I sort of appreciated that NY sent out those text messages using the contact info from the public health forms since it showed at least that they were making use of the information provided rather than just making busy work for passengers but not making any use of the info whatsoever. FWIW, at least when submitting those forms even in person at LGA and JFK, there's no TSA ID-checking like process going on or other demand to prove that all the information supplied is what it should be before being able to proceed.
Police state reference is Hawaii, not NY.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:29 am

The details are quite scant, to say the least, but Los Angeles County has issued an order for everyone who traveled outside of the county to quarantine for 10 days. The wording is a bit absurd, as many people cross into/out of LA County every day for work. Also absolutely nothing regarding enforcement/penalties, which I suspect will be nil.

“All it takes is one unfortunate encounter with an individual with COVID-19 for you to become infected, and sadly, for you to go on and infect others,” the health department said in its statement. “Because of the likelihood of exposure to COVID-19 while traveling outside of L.A County, for everyone that traveled or are planning to travel back into LA County, you must quarantine for 10 days. If you start to experience any symptoms or have a positive test, isolate for 10 days and until you are fever-free for 24 hours.”
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:34 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Flying into LAX - quarantine form/worries

Hi all,
I have a potential visitor flying into visit me and they have to fly into LAX. I read about a mandatory form they need to fill out about a 10 day quarantine. They are only staying for 4 days in LA with me. Has anyone have any experience with this? Will she get in trouble? I also am worried to start flying as when I return to LAX, I’ll be hit with this form. I have been fully vaccinated already. Any experiences or advice? I can still have my friend cancel their ticket. Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:54 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’ve been splitting my time between LA and NYC so I’ve been dealing with this on both ends. In comparison to NYC, the LAX form is a bit of a joke- you just give them your name, phone number and e-mail. They don’t even ask for your home address / where you will be staying. I don’t think you have anything to worry about re your friend visiting you.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I have already done the form thing a couple times (not LAX though). Really no big deal.

Kind of doubt that LA County enforces the Q very seriously. Avoiding crowds and wearing a mask will be enough to stay out of trouble.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:05 pm
dw

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Kind of doubt that LA County enforces the Q very seriously.
Yes, I haven’t received any sort of follow up yet in LA. (In NYC they will call you and ask whether you are quarantining- of course, it’s all for optics... you could be doing anything but an affirmative “yes” answer is sufficient for them.)
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:27 pm
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Thank you so much to all!! I feel relieved. I can finally use 2 of my platinum certificates expiring in March! And to be excited for the friend to visit!
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would focus on the underlying health risk to your and your friends. The reasons for these requirements are not to collect forms, but rather to reduce community spread.
Boraxo, lhrsfo and TWA884 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by dw
Yes, I haven’t received any sort of follow up yet in LA. (In NYC they will call you and ask whether you are quarantining- of course, it’s all for optics... you could be doing anything but an affirmative “yes” answer is sufficient for them.)
hHave you had anyone show up at your door in NY? This happened to someone I know, but this was in December
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:52 pm
dw

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
hHave you had anyone show up at your door in NY? This happened to someone I know, but this was in December
I personally have not though allegedly that did happen to a friend of a friend who flew back from Florida... also back in December I think. I have to imagine that is incredibly rare for domestic travelers. (I know everyone coming back from the UK is supposed to get a personal visit, though I’m not sure if they’ve had the manpower to follow through on that.)
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by dw
I personally have not though allegedly that did happen to a friend of a friend who flew back from Florida... also back in December I think. I have to imagine that is incredibly rare for domestic travelers. (I know everyone coming back from the UK is supposed to get a personal visit, though I’m not sure if they’ve had the manpower to follow through on that.)
Thanks for the info. It’s not easy getting solid info on this. Most people I know that have needed to go to NY are flying into EWR to avoid any potential hassle, but they’d rather fly directly into JFK or LGA.
Boraxo, TastyPlaneEats and pallas like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:29 am

My friend lives in Suffolk County (two counties east of New York City and not under their dictatorship) and two days after completing the online form on arrival at JFK, a sheriff’s deputy called to announce he was coming by to confirm my friend was home, and told him to go to the window and wave so he can confirm he’s quarantining at home. This was back in August or September.

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by downinit
The details are quite scant, to say the least, but Los Angeles County has issued an order for everyone who traveled outside of the county to quarantine for 10 days. The wording is a bit absurd, as many people cross into/out of LA County every day for work. Also absolutely nothing regarding enforcement/penalties, which I suspect will be nil.
The rule has changed many times, it went from 120 miles outside the county, if you went outside the South California Region (as defined by the state so you would have been ok if you went as far as Inyo County, which baffled me as to why this county was grouped with Los Angeles County) etc.. Luckily, Alex Villanueva is reasonable and isn't going to try to stick it to people who don't/cannot quarantine for 10 days for those returning to Los Angeles County. CHP? Their job is mainly enforcing the CVC on state and interstate freeways. There was really no reason to worry since there are many ways to enter/leave Los Angeles County and it isn't practical to enforce this.

Apparently, Los Angeles County still has this requirement, but now changed it to "other states and countries"...
Boraxo and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Feb 21, 2021 at 4:08 pm
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyingdoc747
Hi all,
I have a potential visitor flying into visit me and they have to fly into LAX. I read about a mandatory form they need to fill out about a 10 day quarantine. They are only staying for 4 days in LA with me. Has anyone have any experience with this? Will she get in trouble? I also am worried to start flying as when I return to LAX, I’ll be hit with this form. I have been fully vaccinated already. Any experiences or advice? I can still have my friend cancel their ticket. Thanks!
I've filled out the form a half dozen or more times so far. Nobody checks to make sure you're quarantining. It seems to be on the honor system. I don't think anyone is even checking to make sure you've filled out the form...I doubt the city, county or state have access to airline passenger records...but I'd fill it out anyway since I wouldn't want to pay the $500 fine if someone is, in fact, checking.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.