Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Resources Link to FT Thread on the 14-Day Quarantine for Arriving Visitors and Returning Residents to the State of Hawai`i: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...26-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

USA domestic federal / state / city Covid-19 travel restrictions & isolation measures

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I'm just trying to understand if this is similar to the Hawaii and/ or New York requirements.
no. And NYC is not in any way similar to Hawaii. The latter is the only state that actually enforces a quarantine and will arrest you if you leave your hotel or home.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I'm just trying to understand if this is similar to the Hawaii and/ or New York requirements.
Hawaii and New York are different from each other, so asking if Los Angeles is similar to two totally different situations makes no sense to me.

Hawaii will fine you for not abiding by the quarantine requirements.

Los Angeles will fine you only for not filling out the form, and only if you come into one of three entry points (LAX, BUR, or Union Station). Fly into LGB or SNA, and you're not subject to the form or the fine for not filling it out. But the form signature only is to show that you understand the quarantine recommendation, you are not asked to sign to declare that you will abide by it.

So both have fines, but those fines are for very different things.

While NYC doesn't have a fine that I know of.

So every place is different, and you have to know everything about the place you're going to, and not to try to simplify it by asking if it's "just like' someplace else, because the differences are more important than the similarities.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Hawaii and New York are different from each other, so asking if Los Angeles is similar to two totally different situations makes no sense to me.

Hawaii will fine you for not abiding by the quarantine requirements.

Los Angeles will fine you only for not filling out the form, and only if you come into one of three entry points (LAX, BUR, or Union Station). Fly into LGB or SNA, and you're not subject to the form or the fine for not filling it out. But the form signature only is to show that you understand the quarantine recommendation, you are not asked to sign to declare that you will abide by it.

So both have fines, but those fines are for very different things.

While NYC doesn't have a fine that I know of.

So every place is different, and you have to know everything about the place you're going to, and not to try to simplify it by asking if it's "just like' someplace else, because the differences are more important than the similarities.
NYS does have fines of up to $10,000/day for breaking the mandatory quarantine. Now, whether or not they're ever actually going to be able to catch you and assess that penalty is another story entirely. NYS quarantine is mandatory unlike California which is simply a recommendation. In practice however, both are basically equally unenforceable.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just as a datamark, I've received an e-mail from United before a trip to LAX that I need to fill out a form and practice 14 days of self-isolation.
The e-mail has a link to the California Department of Public Health about the self-isolation decision taken by the state.

Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I received this before my flight yesterday, as well as a text message. They also made an announcement at the gate, and had a scanner for people to use if they hadn’t already submitted the form.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
I received this before my flight yesterday, as well as a text message. They also made an announcement at the gate, and had a scanner for people to use if they hadn’t already submitted the form.
I haven't filled out the form yet so when you are mentioning "scanner", would I receive a QR code or a barcode after completing the form?
By the way, I also received a text message as well.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I haven't filled out the form yet so when you are mentioning "scanner", would I receive a QR code or a barcode after completing the form?
i filled it out on saturday online after landing at LAX and got absolutely no acknowledgement or confirmation.
Dublin_rfk and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I believe you get a QR code to scan. I didn’t catch the entire announcement because I was standing back to distance from the gate lice. I saw a bunch of people holding their phones up to the scanner.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I believe you get a QR code to scan. I didn’t catch the entire announcement because I was standing back to distance from the gate lice. I saw a bunch of people holding their phones up to the scanner.
What if someone is just connecting at LAX?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure that they are not mobile boarding passes?
It would be interesting to hear UA gate agents checking a QR code at the departure gate where a form could be filled before leaving the arrival airport.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a PSA for those considering travel to/from California (based on informed speculation) - California is considering a new "stay at home" order. It is not yet clear what that order will cover, and specifically how it applies to travelers who originate outside of California.

Under the Order issued last March, residents of Bay Area counties (7 counties around SF) were theoretically prohibited from traveling outside that area and were ordered to stay home except to obtain essential services. Presumably this prohibited travel originating from Bay Area airports as well. In practice there was no enforcement, only voluntary compliance, which was assessed at 90%+ In addition there were several counties (specifically around Lake Tahoe) that banned short term rentals (AirBnb, VRBO etc) which were enforced by the platforms, though this was never implemented on the Nevada side of the lake.

At this point it is difficult to predict the exact requirements though Santa Clara County has already issued regulations requiring a 14-day quarantine for residents who return to the county after traveling more than 150 miles. It has also restricted hotel stays to "essential business" (whatever that means) but specifically stated that tourists are not permitted. LA County has also banned dining at outdoor restaurant tables. So these may be hints of things to come.

I will reluctantly refrain from political commentary on the efficacy of such orders...
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:02 am

I filled out the LA form before my flight from EWR on Monday night. I only knew about it because I had read something in the news about it before beginning my trip a week before. Absolutely nothing was said at checkin, boarding, or on board the aircraft. The only announcement was made in the baggage claim area. There was absolutely no one inquiring about the form or verifying anything. I also did not receive any kind of confirmation via text or e-mail after registering. I did take a screenshot showing that I submitted the form, but no one asked to see it. There is 'up to a $500 fine' for not completing the form, but I doubt any actual fines have been given out. It is merely acknowledging that you are aware that the governor strongly recommended a 14 day quarantine. It is not a requirement and there is no enforcement or punitive action for noncompliance (only for not filling out the form).

The LA mayor just announced that all residents should stay at home, and businesses should close, but the actual order contains a list of exemptions a mile long (just about everything besides restaurants is excluded). If you read the complete order, nothing has really changed from the order issued by the county last weekend. That said, the cases are absolutely spiking and hospitals are filling up, so definitely expect more concrete action from the governor in the very near future, which will stretch well beyond LA county.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the LAX form;
Yesterday, I have flown ORD-LAX with UA

At the gate at ORD, there was an announcement regarding that all passengers over 16 should be filling the form. There were two printouts of the QR code at the plexiglass of the gate podium and one near the boarding pass scanner. The gate agents did not check anything throughout boarding. At online check-in, I needed to accept that it was my responsibility to fill out this form.

Upon arrival at LAX, nobody checked anything. However, there were signs and QR codes everywhere for those who haven't filled out the form yet.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another PSA: 5 Bay Area counties (including San Francisco, San Jose) + Berkeley have just ordered closure of all bars and restaurants (takeout is still permitted) and hotels are permitted to stay open for critical infrastructure support only. I am not sure how they plan to enforce the hotel thing though San Jose had the same restriction last March so perhaps someone can relate. Wineries and outdoor playgrounds are also closed. There is also a 10pm curfew though again not clear how/if that is being enforced except through mandatory closure of most businesses (except groceries, Rx, etc)
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Another PSA: 5 Bay Area counties (including San Francisco, San Jose) + Berkeley have just ordered closure of all bars and restaurants (takeout is still permitted) and hotels are permitted to stay open for critical infrastructure support only. I am not sure how they plan to enforce the hotel thing though San Jose had the same restriction last March so perhaps someone can relate. Wineries and outdoor playgrounds are also closed. There is also a 10pm curfew though again not clear how/if that is being enforced except through mandatory closure of most businesses (except groceries, Rx, etc)
Here's the fine print on hotel policy from the official SF announcement:
Hotels and lodging. Hotels may only accept reservations from essential workers travelling for work purposes or to support critical infrastructure including accommodations for isolation and quarantine purposes. If an individual who is not travelling for essential purposes makes a reservation, it must be at least for the number of days required for quarantine. The persons identified in the reservation must quarantine in the hotel or lodging facility for the entirety of the time required.
Re: the curfew, from the Chron-
You can go outside on your own or with people you live with to walk your dog or exercise. You can leave your home to go to an essential business, for example to pick up food for the week at a grocery store or medication at a pharmacy, or to see a doctor at a hospital. You can also go to work if you have an essential job, such as a healthcare worker, transit employee or grocery cashier. In short, health officials want you to stay home unless leaving is critical, and no socializing.
We haven't seen these restrictions since the spring surge. Back then, I don't think law enforcement got involved with any but the most egregious infractions. But at least in my SF neighborhood, it was pretty much a ghost town after 10pm. Eerie, but peaceful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.