Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by username
While the US cannot do most of these things Taiwan does (we are too big, too many levels of governments, civil liberty), this gives you an idea why some of us feel what happened in the US is not good enough: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ta...ainst-covid-19 - I am sure similar examples for Singapore, Hong Kong and Korea. -
It seems Singapore will soon join the joy lock down club.

COVID-19: Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong addresses nation on COVID-19 situation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adA6_PnIUuA
Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong addressed the nation live on Friday (Apr 3) on the COVID-19 situation. He announced "significantly stricter measures" to contain the spread of the virus. Most workplaces will be closed and schools will move to home-based learning. Singaporeans are advised to stay home and to go out only for essential services. -
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
Almost everything is odd about this virus, but the social distancing SHOULD work. I mean, the USA is nuts now -- nobody is seeing anyone. Unless the scientists are completely wrong about the infectiousness, the social distancing has to work. Of course, it's much harder to social distance in NYC than almost anywhere else in the country.

It is very interesting that we're not really seeing a breakout anywhere else in the country. I guess I'm most concerned with Detroit, but the Detroit daily death total flat-lined so I'm skeptical that's the next NYC. Also skeptical that New Orleans will be Wuhan. At the moment, there really aren't any other probable candidates. Washington State's experience would suggest this thing can be beat. Worth watching the situation in northern NJ. They've been getting quite a hit from the situation across the Hudson. But it's not spreading downstate.
There are people with this virus in even rural parts of MN, WI and MI and the numbers are rising. While you many not be seeing a breakout, there are physicians in these states who are seeing breakouts of this there too. It’s not at the point of overloading rural healthcare or even urban healthcare in these states yet, but even in these parts there is a lack of PPE and other stuff hitting and it’s a big part of the picture of why elective procedures are being restricted and doctors given way less work than usual.

Expect a lot of American healthcare institutions to be in even more precarious financial position at the end of the year than they already are in now. Even the world famous American medical institutions aren’t being spared the damage from this situation.

The idea that deaths from this aren’t playing out in parts of the US like they have been playing out in parts of Europe is not backed up by an objective look at the day to day numbers.

There is spread downstate beyond NYC, and there is spread upstate in NY too.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
And, without fail, a predictable COVID-19 story about an April Fools joke gone too far:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nati...panic/2249567/
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The idea that deaths from this aren’t playing out in parts of the US like they have been playing out in parts of Europe is not backed up by an objective look at the day to day numbers.

There is spread downstate beyond NYC, and there is spread upstate in NY too.
This fits The Apocalypse Narrative, but simply isn't true. We have a very big New York City problem. We have concerning situations in several major metropolitan areas. Outside of that, America does not have many coronavirus cases and there is no sign of acceleration of these cases. Here's a map showing this reality:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Things have gone so horribly wrong in Europe that is risky to predict the future but, so far, the data is showing that it's more likely that the NYC disaster will be contained than the apocalypse will spread across the country. But nobody really want to say that yet, and I don't blame them.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This fits The Apocalypse Narrative, but simply isn't true. We have a very big New York City problem. We have concerning situations in several major metropolitan areas. Outside of that, America does not have many coronavirus cases and there is no sign of acceleration of these cases. Here's a map showing this reality:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Things have gone so horribly wrong in Europe that is risky to predict the future but, so far, the data is showing that it's more likely that the NYC disaster will be contained than the apocalypse will spread across the country. But nobody really want to say that yet, and I don't blame them.
Saying his comment "fits The Apocalypse Narrative" is an attempt to trivialize his point. Nothing in what he says shows that he thinks it's the end -- he only rightly points out that your claim is not reality. Take, for example, my home state, Wisconsin. From one single case at the end of January, infections have increased steadily until daily infections were at 171 on Wednesday, a new high. Confirmed cases are 1,795 with 37 deaths. Cases are expected to continue to rise and peak in late April or early May, with a worst case projection of 22,000 infections and about 450 deaths by the projected peak on 22 April. This would overwhelm current bed capacity, but fortunately they are hard at work creating more bed space.

These are not New York or New Orleans levels, but they are hardly trivial, and this is only the first wave. I see no reason to believe it will be the only one.

I am not sure why you think your analysis is superior to the experts, who do not agree with your assessment at all. And no, this is not an
Apocalypse Narrative, either -- we will survive this, if we're lucky without too much loss.
GUWonder, karenkay, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I believe the NYC Heath Department statistics are quite accurate. From what I can tell, they have the best reporting in the country -- at least from a major metropolitan area.
Then why do the official stats on their website not match what the governor and the mayor are reporting? I think they are just behind on the counting and maybe going back and doing some verification. They will probably have to do an audit when they have time.

In countries like Germany and France, officials are warning that they are way behind on reporting deaths. Especially deaths at nursing homes.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200403...ths-unnumbered
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:21 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Another reminder that discussion and critique of political/government actions should be posted in OMNI/PR and not in this thread.

NewbieRunner, co-moderator
JNelson113, aztimm and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
In ... France, officials are warning that they are way behind on reporting deaths. Especially deaths at nursing homes.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200403...ths-unnumbered

This article is shocking. Incredible. Those people are pretty much left to die...
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
They did have supplies on hand, but the coronavirus has used up resources far beyond what could reasonably be expected. That's why the national supply is there, but the states have had difficulties obtaining supplies from them. That's the problem, and no, I think a government that hadn't spent so much effort trying to minimize the issue would likely have been more amenable to distributing the supplies.
For arguments sake I'll agree that all states had what they believed to be adequate emergency supplies on hand expecting resupply through federal emergency stocks. Isn't there an upper limit even for federal government supplies? I don't know the planning metrics but would think stockpile levels were planned around regional emergencies and not a country wide emergency. I could be very wrong but let us hope going forward the planners will take this event as a starting point and build future stockpiles around a similar or repeat event.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
For arguments sake I'll agree that all states had what they believed to be adequate emergency supplies on hand expecting resupply through federal emergency stocks. Isn't there an upper limit even for federal government supplies? I don't know the planning metrics but would think stockpile levels were planned around regional emergencies and not a country wide emergency. I could be very wrong but let us hope going forward the planners will take this event as a starting point and build future stockpiles around a similar or repeat event.
The problem was, though, that the Federal supplies were there, but for quite a while they were not being distributed in a timely manner or sometimes not at all. Things seem to be working better now, though.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

This isn’t complicated. All states have reserves. The Feds have reserves for disasters, earthquakes, hurricanes or whatever that deplete a few state’s reserves. That’s why they’re there, as a buffer. One that won’t be used in time in some cases.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The problem was, though, that the Federal supplies were there, but the administration for quite a while was not distributing them in a timely manner or sometimes not at all. it took a lot of prodding and an eventual realization by Trump of the seriousness of the crisis to get them to flow.
Or maybe it was a very wise decision to wait and see where the hotspots would develop and then send equipment as needed. Especially in the case of ventilators. "eventual realization" is a rather insulting political attack phrase that has no place here. How many times are your posts going to have to be deleted by moderators?
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem was, though, that the Federal supplies were there, but for quite a while they were not being distributed in a timely manner or sometimes not at all. Things seem to be working better now, though.
I'm not sure it's accurate to say supplies weren't distributed timely. By whose metric?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Or maybe it was a very wise decision to wait and see where the hotspots would develop and then send equipment as needed. Especially in the case of ventilators. "eventual realization" is a rather insulting political attack phrase that has no place here. How many times are your posts going to have to be deleted by moderators?
It doesn't seem it is coming from the federal supply. New York state is redistributing ventilators, taking from hospitals in more rural areas and sending it to NYC.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
"At this point, all states should issue stay-at-home orders, said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"I don't understand why that's not happening," Fauci said during a CNN town hall Thursday. "If you look at what's going on in this country, I just don't understand why we're not doing that."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...cid=spartanntp

You and I both, Dr. Fauci, you and I both...

I am also wondering where the coronavirus task force is, and when Jared (or whoever is in charge of this thing, nobody knows) will provide some clear leadership and guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.