Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by elizadoo
Any information on Antibody testing in either Wash DC or Florida? I need to (read: must) make multiple trips within the next 2 months and I would like to know if I have CoVid antibodies, it would allow me to somewhat relax on quarantine restrictions and interact with older family members as well as finalize some documents under deadline with embassies.

I was affected with a respiratory illness in February for 3 weeks after an international flight, and just 2 weeks I had a 6-week respiratory illness (resulting in needing a Zpack, Albuterol inhaler, etc) after yet another flight. I am thinking that might have been the virus all along.

Thanks for any info.
Don't do it.
The tests are not specific enough and you don't know what antibodies they look at.
Moreover, exposure, which the tests can assess, is not immunity. They are OK to determine population exposure but not good enough for individuals.

Soon we will have tests that look for the neutralizing antibodies and give a titer (level) of such to confirm immunity better.
But many others recover with no neutralizing antibodies but virus-specific T-cells.

If you are curious and want to do the test, then do it, but it should not change anything you do with regard to mask wearing and personal hygiene. And if you get a fever and cough, then get a CV-19 PCR test and if +, you never had it before and the antibody test was wrong.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Renowned virologist Peter Piot had the infection from March and April. This is his account.

But he issues a warning about long-term effects, which may be as consequential as the IFR.

Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted. There will be hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, possibly more, who will need treatments such as renal dialysis for the rest of their lives. The more we learn about the coronavirus, the more questions arise. We are learning while we are sailing. That’s why I get so annoyed by the many commentators on the sidelines who, without much insight, criticize the scientists and policymakers trying hard to get the epidemic under control. That’s very unfair.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...death-covid-19
Loren Pechtel, ACBLtd and ajGoes like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Meanwhile regarding flying, you can make plans to minimize chances of exposure but you could face this.

So, for instance, fly premium cabin, in a 1-2-1 config vs. 2-2-2 or even worse 2-4-2? Of course such premium cabins imply a intercontinental flight of at least 7-8 hours or more.

So more space but longer exposure, more chances to be exposed from the bathroom.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Apparently, Quality of Life doesn't matter anymore. It seems thing only thing that matters is to save lives at all cost, even if it means living like a filthy dog in a cage.
It's a shame. My 93 year old grandmother is still relatively healthy and independent but she has been confined in her small suite for 2 months now without any visitors or being allowed to go outside. That is a big routine change for someone who was used to going out for walks and shopping-restaurant outings. And despite all these measures, 98% of deaths in my province are in retirement homes. I wonder what is the point of everything we've been doing to ''save lives'.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Any information on Antibody testing in either Wash DC or Florida?
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Don't do it. The tests are not specific enough and you don't know what antibodies they look at… Soon we will have tests that look for the neutralizing antibodies and give a titer (level) of such to confirm immunity better. But many others recover with no neutralizing antibodies but virus-specific T-cells.
Very interesting. I had a "CLH venous antibody test" and was surprised it was negative. Will not take that result to mean anything, then. Would be interesting to get the other type of test you mentioned if and when it becomes available.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any information on Antibody testing in either Wash DC or Florida? I need to (read: must) make multiple trips within the next 2 months and I would like to know if I have CoVid antibodies, it would allow me to somewhat relax on quarantine restrictions and interact with older family members as well as finalize some documents under deadline with embassies.

I was affected with a respiratory illness in February for 3 weeks after an international flight, and just 2 weeks I had a 6-week respiratory illness (resulting in needing a Zpack, Albuterol inhaler, etc) after yet another flight. I am thinking that might have been the virus all along.

Thanks for any info.
Quest is offering a paid service for antibody testing in most states; purchase and schedule on their website: https://myquest.questdiagnostics.com/web/home
elizadoo, ExpatExp and narvik like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fortunately I won't need to travel internationally until the end of September when my visa expires, but I expect I might travel within Vietnam sometime before that. I read that people are already going to Hoi An for site-seeing. I usually fly coach for the short trips, but I will pay extra for business and hope there's no one next to me. Mask, wipes and sanitizer, of course. If there is a return of community transmissions here, I won't travel.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Here in NYC, free antibody testing is now offered at a few locations. Managed to get an appointment this week. Will report back.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-test/2406407/
Old May 11, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by narvik
That makes sense, yes.
The annoying thing is the use of 'face' when a news article includes the 'studies' that state how many times one touches one's face per hour.

I still touch my face often (), but hardly ever my mouth, eyes, or nose. It's mostly chin, ears, forehead, hair.
​​​​
So do I, and I also find it very annoying that the messaging that everyone should be hearing on not touching eyes, nose & mouth, has somehow expanded into not touching entire face.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001
Here in NYC, free antibody testing is now offered at a few locations. Managed to get an appointment this week. Will report back.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-test/2406407/
See if you can find out which test they are using.
If it is the same one they used for the larger statewide studies, then it has a 4-5% false positive rate, which is huge.

Summary of antibody tests by vendor: https://www.centerforhealthsecurity....-COVID-19.html
Old May 11, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
See if you can find out which test they are using.
If it is the same one they used for the larger statewide studies, then it has a 4-5% false positive rate, which is huge.

Summary of antibody tests by vendor: https://www.centerforhealthsecurity....-COVID-19.html
From the BioReference website: "BioReference also offers COVID-19 Antibody IgG, a semi-quantitative immunoassay which measures SARS-CoV-2 specific IgG antibody levels, correlating with the patient’s immune response after COVID-19 infection."

Old May 11, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
From the BioReference website: "BioReference also offers COVID-19 Antibody IgG, a semi-quantitative immunoassay which measures SARS-CoV-2 specific IgG antibody levels, correlating with the patient’s immune response after COVID-19 infection."
https://www.bioreference.com/physicians/covid-19/
Also this...
  • This test has not been reviewed by the FDA.
  • Negative results do not rule out SARS-CoV-2 infection, particularly in those who have been in contact with the virus. Follow-up testing with a molecular diagnostic should be considered to rule out infection in these individuals.
  • Results from antibody testing should not be used as the sole basis to diagnose or exclude SARS-CoV-2 infection or to inform infection status.
  • Positive results may be due to past or present infection with non-SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E.
No sensitivity/specificity data on their website. So not sure how helpful it will be for an individual. But they want the pooled data.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Asymptomatic diplomats or even ill diplomats can get on any plane and infect thousands, thanks to their carte-blanche passport. Thus, if we really want to block/ban the spread of COVID-19 diplomatic passports need to be outlawed.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:59 am

Like Johan Giesecke said; what is NZ going to do once they eliminate/eradicate COVID-19?
Close their borders for the next 30 years?
My guess would be:
- initially (next few weeks) open up their travel bubble only to safe countries (i.e. Australia), then later to other countries that also have very low COVID-19 rates.
- use a combination of testing at the border and intelligence (travel history and contact status), to reduce the number of imported infections as much as possible.
- use contact tracing within the general population to sweep up the cases that slip through.

This is an approximation of a telephone conversation I had with my 87-year old mother, who is in a care home in New Zealand.
I am quite jealous, as my elderly parents are stuck in the UK. In my opinion, it looks like countries that took early and decisive action are emerging much better off from shorter lockdowns (cases, deaths and economically). Hopefully your mother can go back to eating in the dining room in the next couple of weeks. The Economist estimated the COVID-19 victims in Europe have passed away an average of 11 years before they would have, and while the likelihood of catching COVID-19 is still relatively small I would much prefer it to be closed to zero as it is in New Zealand.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If no vaccine is on the horizon then how do countries get out of this lockdown? I have no clue as to what they will do, but I am not paid to. What I do know is that the financial apocalypse is scarier to me than the virus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.