FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011758-events-canceled-postponed-due-covid-19-consolidated.html)

nk15 Mar 12, 2020 4:22 pm

We need a flat limit of 20-100 people max per building or gathering across the country, or something like that...

OUTraveling Mar 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Long Beach Grand Prix was just cancelled:
https://www.presstelegram.com/2020/0...irus-concerns/

aztimm Mar 12, 2020 5:54 pm

Apologies if this is already listed... pretty big news. I know this gets into the PR issues, but posting for informational purposes:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...rily-suspended

12 march 2020 - salt lake city
News Release

Update: Gatherings of Church Members Temporarily Suspended Worldwide

Local leaders will counsel to determine how to make the sacrament available to members at least once a month

According to what I saw on CNN:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has decided to suspend all public gatherings around the world until further notice due to coronavirus, according to a statement.

The list of events includes stake conferences, leadership conferences and all public worship services, including sacrament meetings, the church said.
"Where possible, please conduct any essential leadership meetings via technology. Specific questions may be referred to local priesthood leaders," the church said. "We encourage members in their ministering efforts to care for one another. We should follow the Savior’s example to bless and lift others."

kenlor Mar 12, 2020 7:03 pm

World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal scheduled for March 17-22 has been cancelled.

nk15 Mar 12, 2020 7:27 pm

Conference in California...

"Based on the new requirement from the Governor of California to maintain six feet of distance between attendees or be subject to legal action and fines, it is with great disappointment that the decision has been made to cancel the 2020 Annual Conference."

nk15 Mar 12, 2020 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX (Post 32176859)
What’s next?

You think maybe we should round up certain types of people too.... for the betterment of ‘the greater good’?
It’s insanity.

I don't think you understand what is coming in a couple of weeks, it will be a disaster zone, you should read what is happening in Spain and Italy, and what are the projections for the US...You will be looking back to today nostalgically as "the good old times"...

travelinmanS Mar 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 32176934)
I don't think you understand what is coming in a couple of weeks, it will be a disaster zone, you should read what is happening in Spain and Italy, and what are the projections for the US...You will be looking back to today nostalgically as "the good old times"...

Some people will still be complaining about restrictions and still planning to travel. It’s sad to see the “nothingburger” people from 2 weeks ago are now not saying “nothingburger” but still pushing their individual freedom to the detriment of society as a whole BS.

At some point most will flip their thinking either because a loved one who is in a risky group contracts the virus or widespread transmission causes incredible societal chaos. Even still there will be some lamenting restrictions on their mileage running.....

Boggie Dog Mar 12, 2020 10:07 pm

Walt Disney World closing 3/15 until end of month. Universal Orlando followed suit. Disney Cruise lines suspending departures 3/15 through end of month also.

Walt Disney World & Universal Orlando resorts closing amid COVID-19 pandemic

HKTraveler Mar 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX (Post 32176859)
What’s next?

You think maybe we should round up certain types of people too.... for the betterment of ‘the greater good’?
It’s insanity.

Ever seen a slow motion train wreck? It is coming but you just don't know it. Already played out in parts of China, Korea, Iran and Italy.

elizacat Mar 12, 2020 11:21 pm

Melbourne Grand Prix cancelled
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51849163

SamirD Mar 13, 2020 1:28 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 32175087)
My prediction - in US, starting from next week, any outdoor/indoor gathering in a closed place with more than 1000 people will be canceled either by organizers or by city/state officials.
Because not doing this will be a terrible PR.

And I think adding to this, 2 weeks from now, we will start seeing general home quarantine recommendations for the mass public state by state.

SamirD Mar 13, 2020 1:32 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT (Post 32175239)
AUSA Global Force next week in Huntsville, AL canceled.

Wow, that's practically in our backyard. Good thing though as people would come from all over for that and there would bound to be contagion.

SamirD Mar 13, 2020 1:35 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 32176183)
We need a flat limit of 20-100 people max per building or gathering across the country, or something like that...

If everyone just stayed home for a week, I think we'd see an impact for sure. But that's a hard thing to ask as that means the entire economy--everything--would literally stop for a week. And the problem with that is that someone has to pay for it--banks will still want mortgages paid, taxes are still due, bills are still due. This is what has me worried. If as many people as get sick have to file for bankruptcy, 1929 and the Great Depression will be re-lived once again as everything will almost literally dry up.

WestCoastPDX Mar 13, 2020 4:14 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 32176934)

What, 2,500 people died in China in 4 months. In a country of 1+Billion?

And we’ve shut the entire global economy down because of the fear that THAT will spread. This is room temperate IQ decision making we are witnesses.

Over 150,000 people die every DAY around the world (~57Million a year).
And, uh, we have decided to sink the ship we’re all on because it might be 57.005Million this year)

It’s delusion at the highest level.
I think this is from a lack of critical thinking skills taught in schools anymore.
Everyone is just following the herd now.

Why think for ourselves - just cancel everything!
Cancel work.
Cancel meetings.
Cancel events.
Cancel shows.

Cancel something and it will go away. Then we are all safe and good humans.

Antonio8069 Mar 13, 2020 4:24 am

- Tribeca Film Festival

Yesterday, the Tribeca Film Festival (TFF) in lower Manhttan - originally scheduled for April 13-27. De Niro started it back in 2002 as part of the renewal of the Lower East Side after 9/11.

I am very annoyed with the LM cancellations! Who cancels a major int'l conference three days before it starts? SXSW is one of the worst. But I am sure there are others??