FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011758-events-canceled-postponed-due-covid-19-consolidated.html)

reigndrop Mar 7, 2020 1:10 am

Masters is still on but in wait and see mode. I have tickets and still keen to go provided the circumstances are right

chrisl137 Mar 7, 2020 1:32 am

American Physical Society March Meeting in Denver was cancelled the day before it was supposed to start. About 10,000 people were expected to attend from all around the world.

MikeFly Mar 7, 2020 6:07 am

ExpoWest (food. healthcare) was supposed to be in Anaheim this weekend. Approximately 100,000 visitors postponed with no date set. Our company was lucky, except for the airlines, we were able to get all of our costs back.

radonc1 Mar 7, 2020 6:31 am

Originally Posted by reigndrop (Post 32152395)
Masters is still on but in wait and see mode. I have tickets and still keen to go provided the circumstances are right

Perhaps they will run it like the Tokyo marathon, where only the elite participants ran and all others including spectators were told to stay home. So basically, the golfers and caddies play and everyone else gets to watch it on TV :o

chgoeditor Mar 7, 2020 8:37 am

The international housewares show in Chicago (est attendance of 50K-60K) has been canceled.

EAJuggalo Mar 7, 2020 2:03 pm

HIMSS, Healthcare Information Management Systems Society has canceled their global conference in Orlando scheduled for March 9-14.

Cledaybuck Mar 7, 2020 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by twa777 (Post 32151858)
Miami has made a decision to cancel events of greater than 25,000 people, following a recommendation they found from the CDC

So Marlins games should still be good then.:D

GMTmin8 Mar 7, 2020 5:16 pm

San Francisco has postponed the St Patrick’s Day parade.
Stanford University will have all classes on online.

LA marathon still on:confused:

Hopefully the increasing examples of events being postponed or cancelled will make it easier for officials to make the difficult public health decisions that might slow down spread.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ea-cracks-down

SJCFlyerLG Mar 7, 2020 7:00 pm

Not canceled, but the March Grand Sumo basho will be held behind closed doors. The NBA has discussed the idea of games without fans. Lebron said under those conditions, we would not play.

747FC Mar 7, 2020 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG (Post 32155008)
Lebron said under those conditions, we would not play.

What an incredibly selfish statement from someone who claims to be a role-model. But, he is the self-proclaimed King.

SamirD Mar 8, 2020 12:07 am

Just found out that BAPS has cancelled their guru's 2020 world tour that included Europe and North America. It is tentatively going to be re-scheduled for 2021.

I wonder if any other touring groups such as musicians have changed their schedules yet? Those are very expensive to reschedule.

GMTmin8 Mar 8, 2020 10:51 am

Bahrain has made the March Formula One race spectator free.

Adelphos Mar 8, 2020 2:18 pm

It is pretty striking that so many conferences and conventions are being cancelled, but sporting events, concerts, and all sorts of other events (political rallies) are going ahead as of now.

username Mar 8, 2020 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG (Post 32155008)
Not canceled, but the March Grand Sumo basho will be held behind closed doors. The NBA has discussed the idea of games without fans. Lebron said under those conditions, we would not play.

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 32155152)
What an incredibly selfish statement from someone who claims to be a role-model. But, he is the self-proclaimed King.

My view is actually the opposite. It is good that he is saying that to increase public awareness. The last thing we want is people trying to be macho and say "I am healthy, it does not affect me and things will go on as usual".

username Mar 8, 2020 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 32157390)
It is pretty striking that so many conferences and conventions are being cancelled, but sporting events, concerts, and all sorts of other events (political rallies) are going ahead as of now.

It is kind of scary that all 3 remaining US presidential candidates are in the high risk group...

Businesses can move faster and are most cautious since money is involved. It is harder for public events in the US as there is no consensus to take this seriously and views differ based on political alignment.