FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011758-events-canceled-postponed-due-covid-19-consolidated.html)

mfgr Mar 18, 2020 5:05 am

Glastonbury Festival gone as well...
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...to-coronavirus

Sjoerd Mar 18, 2020 9:00 am

Eurovision Song Contest (scheduled May 2020 Rotterdam) postponed until 2021

OUTraveling Mar 18, 2020 10:49 am

At this point, it is better to put down what WILL BE OPEN.

largeeyes Mar 18, 2020 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sjoerd (Post 32202031)
Eurovision Song Contest (scheduled May 2020 Rotterdam) postponed until 2021

Small blessings....

SamirD Mar 19, 2020 4:43 am

Originally Posted by ymx (Post 32199258)
Does Amex require a response from vendor within 72 hours? They said in their email to me it could take a month to resolve.

It depends on the processing company they are using, but generally when I was in the industry (up to 2015), we had 72hrs to respond back with proof of the charge. I was actually just discussing your situation with my dad earlier today and he even agreed that there's no way in hell the hotel will be able to keep that money.

Amex will say a month because it takes time to reach out to the merchant, get the response, process it, possibly go back and forth and then make a final decision. the dispute will immediately trigger a credit on your bill, but you won't see the charge removed probably for at least one billing cycle.

femuse Mar 22, 2020 5:37 pm

MerleFest cancelled

MerleFest, was to be 23 Apr to 26 Apr 26, 2020

one of the premier music festivals in the country
75,000 to 80, 000

<< annual "traditional plus" music festival held in Wilkesboro, North Carolina on the campus of Wilkes Community College. >>

https://merlefest.org/merlefest-2020-cancelled/

ymx Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD (Post 32205889)
It depends on the processing company they are using, but generally when I was in the industry (up to 2015), we had 72hrs to respond back with proof of the charge. I was actually just discussing your situation with my dad earlier today and he even agreed that there's no way in hell the hotel will be able to keep that money.

Amex will say a month because it takes time to reach out to the merchant, get the response, process it, possibly go back and forth and then make a final decision. the dispute will immediately trigger a credit on your bill, but you won't see the charge removed probably for at least one billing cycle.

Amex has credited most of the charges with the following caveat: "It's important to know that we may accept the response from the hotel at a later date and review the information they provide. In these situations, we may rebill your account. If that happens, we'll be sure to let you know immediately. If you don't hear from us by May 14, 2020, then you may consider this matter closed."

If the hotel claims the letter of the law and that the cancellation policy was in effect, do you think Amex will side with the hotel?

Hezu Mar 24, 2020 7:54 am

Now it is official: Olympics in Tokyo won't take place this summer, the event is now expected to take place next year, although the exact details are not ready yet.

Dublin_rfk Mar 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hezu (Post 32226244)
Now it is official: Olympics in Tokyo won't take place this summer, the event is now expected to take place next year, although the exact details are not ready yet.

Looks like e-bay will get a lot business from the pre-sales of Tokyo 2020 official licensed souvenir market trinkets.

fwfdan Apr 4, 2020 9:47 am

Montreal Jazz Festival Cancelled - 2020

Some very sad news for artists and businesses (and attendees) - the largest jazz festival in the world has cancelled for 2020...

https://www.france24.com/en/20200403...ue-to-pandemic

username Apr 4, 2020 1:26 pm

I try to spend some time in Montreal July every year to photograph all the festivities. Not only the Jazz Festival is cancelled. Just for Laugh is now postponed. Completement Cirque, Carifiesta and Nuits d’Afrique have not announced anything as far as I can tell.

Then of course there is Canada Day on 1 July and the stuff like the First People's Parade in August.

It used to be so expensive to fly in out of YUL in July with oversold fights. This year might be all different.

tcook052 Apr 4, 2020 1:32 pm

Quebec is wrestling with a big outbreak of COVID-19 with half of all cases in Canada so it going to take many months to climb back close to something we can call normal. Bans on large gatherings could last into the Fall across the country so wasn't surprised to read these cancellations today bu let's hope it's back and better than ever in 2021.

SirFlysALot Apr 6, 2020 11:31 am

The festival was a great time last year!

trouble747 Apr 7, 2020 1:58 am

Learned today that an event we planned to attend in mid-May has been cancelled (Lady Gaga’s Las Vegas residency).

Also learned that StubHub has adopted a new cancellation policy (that they’d very much like for you to believe is somehow retroactive!) which states a ticket buyer will receive a “coupon” at 120% of the ticket’s value upon event cancellation, instead of a refund. While this clearly a recent change, StubHub’s COVID-19 statement strongly—and in my mind, deceptively—implies that the new policy applies to all events cancelled due to the pandemic, regardless of when the tickets were purchased.

What is truly remarkable, however, is that StubHub states you have only one year(!) to spend the coupon they’d like to give you instead of cash. I’m sure they’re hurting like everyone else but this looks like a money grab.

NewbieRunner Apr 21, 2020 2:33 am

Oktoberfest canceled due to outbreak

With events banned at least until the end of August [in Germany], the Oktoberfest has become the latest victim of lockdown. Although slated to start September 19, the world's biggest beer festival will not happen this year.

Germany's latest lockdown measures now include a ban on major public events until August 31. Although Oktoberfest was due to start after the current cut-off, Bavaria's state premier said on Tuesday the festival would not take place this year.