FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011758-events-canceled-postponed-due-covid-19-consolidated.html)

aztimm Mar 6, 20 3:13 pm

SXSW (Austin, Texas) Canceled

Just noticed this, I think it is very recent:

I believe this is one of the first major events in the US to cancel in the wake of coronavirus concerns. The last I heard, there were 3 cases near Houston, but none in the Austin area.

https://www.kvue.com/article/enterta...5-41d84b8c6a13

SXSW canceled: Austin officials end 2020 festival amid coronavirus concerns

This announcement follows several major organizations and companies deciding to not attend the festival.
Author: Sammy Turner (KVUE), Jeff Bell
Published: 3:57 PM CST March 6, 2020
Updated: 4:07 PM CST March 6, 2020 AUSTIN, Texas — For the first time in its 33-year history, South by Southwest has been canceled as the City of Austin declares a local emergency due to concerns about the coronavirus spreading.

In an announcement on Friday by Mayor Steve Adler, Judge Sarah Eckhardt, Dr. Mark Escott of the Interim Health Authority and Austin Public Health Director Stephanie Hayden, the City of Austin declared a local emergency, canceling the Spring Festival event as the COVID-19 virus causes worldwide concern.

This announcement follows several major organizations and companies deciding to not attend the festival, along with a Change.org petition signed by tens of thousands of people calling for the festival to be canceled.

notquiteaff Mar 6, 20 3:26 pm

SXSW in Austin has been cancelled.

npei Mar 6, 20 3:54 pm

SXSW canceled by Austin City Emergency Decree

Even though many high profile corporate attendees canceled this 73k person event, organizers had refused to cancel. Austin City government exercised leadership to invoke emergency decree to force event cancel (hoping to avert/mitigate Coronavirus in Austin, where there is none yet).

I hope Seattle City government announce similar emergency decree to force cancel of Comcon, whose organizers refuse to cancel 100k person event even though Seattle already is in midst of large Coronavirus outbreak.

City governments in other current outbreak zones (LA, Santa Clara, SF, NYC, etc.) are wrestling (hesitating) with immediate economic impact of canceling mass gathering events, against mitigating Coronavirus cases. But every 6 day delay (commonly observed case propagation) is another doubling of potential cases.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/sxsw...ronavirus.html

cayohueso Mar 6, 20 3:54 pm

Yeah, my daughter is on the plane from LHR to Austin right now for this (and to visit her brother, so not a total loss). This will be a pleasant greeting for her.

IBobi Mar 6, 20 3:55 pm

Yep.

:eek:

bitterproffit Mar 6, 20 3:58 pm

There are a bunch of cases in San Antonio, but they were quarantined there after being evacuated from Wuhan and the cruise ship.

I wonder if its less about the attendees and more about concerns from businesses who want to 1) cut back spending and travel and 2) not force their employees to be exposed.

Upon so many companies pulling out, it looks like it made sense to just cancel it.

notquiteaff Mar 6, 20 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by npei (Post 32151370)
I hope Seattle City government announce similar emergency decree to force cancel of Comcon, whose organizers refuse to cancel 100k person event even though Seattle already is in midst of large Coronavirus outbreak.

from NY Times:

“Emerald City Comic Con, a convention that draws tens of thousands of people to Seattle each year, announced Friday that it would postpone the gathering that was scheduled for next week until the summer.”

GMTmin8 Mar 6, 20 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by npei (Post 32151370)
I hope Seattle City government announce similar emergency decree to force cancel of Comcon, whose organizers refuse to cancel 100k person event

The organizers did "we have decided to move next week’s Emerald City Comic Con to Summer 2020 with date and detail announcement forthcoming."
Great decision.

https://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/...-From-Reedpop/

I hope that other organizers, cites, and states start realizing the sooner large events are cancelled, the slower the spread.

shawn67 Mar 6, 20 5:03 pm

Ceres 2020 International Conference on Global Sustainability in NYC on March 23 through 26 is canceled.

https://events.ceres.org/event/37e45...rm=headerimage

invisible Mar 6, 20 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 32151294)
SXSW in Austin has been cancelled.

Aha Seattle Comic-Con has been rescheduled. And i said that woud happen ‘within days’. Took just one day.

invisible Mar 6, 20 6:29 pm

Comic-Con Seattle has been postponed by organisers.

rustykettel Mar 6, 20 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 32151630)
Aha Seattle Comic-Con has been rescheduled. And i said that woud happen ‘within days’. Took just one day.

When March Madness is cancelled, or becomes TV only, along with baseball that will get people's attention.

invisible Mar 6, 20 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 32151824)
When March Madness is cancelled, or becomes TV only, along with baseball that will get people's attention.

One week, maximum.

Waiting for announcement on worldwide ban on cruises for next two month.

twa777 Mar 6, 20 7:10 pm

Ultra Music Festival in Miami, that was supposed to run March 20-22, has been cancelled ("postponed until next year") although Miami Music Week events are still on.

Calle 8, a major Latin Music festival also in Miami has been cancelled as well.

Miami has made a decision to cancel events of greater than 25,000 people, following a recommendation they found from the CDC

bryanb Mar 6, 20 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 32151380)
There are a bunch of cases in San Antonio, but they were quarantined there after being evacuated from Wuhan and the cruise ship.

I wonder if its less about the attendees and more about concerns from businesses who want to 1) cut back spending and travel and 2) not force their employees to be exposed.

Upon so many companies pulling out, it looks like it made sense to just cancel it.

My company is one of those that just pulled out of SXSW this week. For us (and probably most), it was not about cutting back on spending. The past few days have been hectic finding out what money we can get back. We got some deposits refunded but there are huge sums that we sunk (not to mention many hundreds of hours of employee time over many months preparing the event) that we will never get the benefit from. And we can‘t reuse what we‘ve designed and built, because it was to promote a project for this timing.