FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011758-events-canceled-postponed-due-covid-19-consolidated.html)

GadgetFreak Mar 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Schizophrenia International Research Conference scheduled for the beginning of April in Florence was just canceled. I canceled in late February but I thought the whole meeting would get canceled and now it has.

IBobi Mar 10, 2020 2:24 pm

This thread is begging for a wiki!

GadgetFreak Mar 10, 2020 3:16 pm

Just came over the web, although I was waiting on it for several reasons. American Association for Cancer Research originally scheduled for the end of April in San Diego has been canceled and will be rescheduled. Another one I was planning on going to, with about 24,000 other people from many countries around the world.

JHunter Mar 10, 2020 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 32157390)
It is pretty striking that so many conferences and conventions are being cancelled, but sporting events, concerts, and all sorts of other events (political rallies) are going ahead as of now.

Santa Clara County (San Jose, California) has banned all events of >1,000 people. This means that the San Jose Sharks home games will either be:
- played in an empty arena
- moved to a neutral site
- or postponed and rescheduled.

Many of the local classical music groups, from community all the way to the San Francisco Symphony, have cancelled concerts for at least the next few weeks. Given the average age of the audience it's understandable. One recent local professional production was scheduled for two performances, but they changed the first to a no-audience live stream, and cancelled the second.

Surprisingly, theater groups (where the average crowd size tends to be larger than for classical music, though the demographics are similar) are going forward with performances.

Diplomatico Mar 10, 2020 5:02 pm

The Ivy League has cancelled the men's and women's basketball conference championship tournaments.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ts-coronavirus

A318neo Mar 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by kylemore (Post 32157676)
American physician here. We are coming up to the conference season, most academic medical conferences seem to be scheduled in the next few months. I usually attend 1-2 national conferences per year. One, which is occurring later this month, has already been canceled. The other, which is next month, has put attendees on alert that it might be canceled (at this point I would put sums of money down that it will be). My colleagues in other fields are having the same experience. One of the local medical schools announced they are restricting all nonessential faculty travel and instituting mandatory quarantines for people returning from level 2 or 3 areas prior to work. They have also begun preparation to move all classes online for the remainder of the academic year.

Any of my physician colleagues who have paid the slightest bit of attention (with relevant backgrounds, ID, EM with disaster management) are essentially saying the same thing. They are self reducing travel and exposure and have adopted a bit of grim fatalism that seems to be common in the medical field. All of us are hoping that the virus will somehow turn out to be containable, or the case fatality rate is massively exaggerated by a lack of testing (which is possible) but we have little evidence pointing in that direction.

I looked this up at random. The American Academy of Dermatology is canceling their annual meeting in Denver in late March. Website says "Over the last several days the AAD has received notices from faculty nationwide who have been put on a travel ban from their institutions. Due to the limited number of academic faculty able to present at our meeting and other related factors, we are no longer able to host the high-caliber meeting that our attendees and exhibitors have come to expect.". The American Board of Radiology, Radiation Oncology oral board examination has been cancelled, too. They say postponed but no new date set.

WestCoastPDX Mar 10, 2020 5:44 pm

I was going to a trade show about music in Burbank late March (synthplex) and it just got cancelled today.
So, I’m going to go anywhere and just hang out down there.

We’re just watching an insane feedback loop. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.

News says things are scary.
People get scared and cancel random trips.
Government says ‘people are scared, we need to do something’
Government does ‘something’ - by making it more scary.

Employers fear liability, so they cancel ‘non-essential travel’ to look good to staff / media / government.
Events get canceled because some people can’t attend.
With cancelled events, no one travels.

The damage to the global economy.... Who can imagine right now?
The suffering of the poor who will lose jobs... how many will die?

All because of fear.

~157,000 people a DAY die in the world in general.
CV has killed 3000 in almost 4 months.
Almost all people who get it recover and move on.

Yet, here we are, stopping the engine of the world - because of fear.

And with all due respect to doctors - I treat them like my lawyers.
Their job is to give their best advice they can in their field.
It’s my job to actually use my brain to decide what I will do.

Most doctors I talk to are flabbergasted that there is such a panic about this.
So, for every doctor that is quoted as saying ‘omg, it’s the end of the world, PANIC!’ ....there are lots who think the exact opposite.

GadgetFreak Mar 10, 2020 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX (Post 32166698)
I was going to a trade show about music in Burbank late March (synthplex) and it just got cancelled today.

We’re just watching an insane feedback loop. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.

Employers fear liability, so they cancel ‘non-essential travel’ to look good to staff / media / government.

All because of fear.

So, for every doctor that is quoted as saying ‘omg, it’s the end of the world, PANIC!’ ....there are lots who think the exact opposite.

I’m pretty sure that all the cancer centers, as an example, stopping employee travel aren’t doing it out of fear. They are doing it to protect their staff and their patients.

Intrepid Mar 10, 2020 6:34 pm

The American College of Physician cancelled its annual meeting.
Interpid, FACP

nk15 Mar 10, 2020 9:39 pm

There are some smaller regional conferences that are also being cancelled. I read some of their websites and they cite as main reasons increased cancellations from participants, including keynote and invited speakers (many of whom are in the vulnerable/older groups), and social distancing recommendations.

Those conferences that are still trying to make it, they advertise increased precautions such as door handle clean-ups every 30 minutes, and doctors on site. Lastly, some conferences are offering online participation, so that may be a semi-solution for some.

Some conferences call it "postponed" instead of "cancelled", but this is also tricky I feel.

notquiteaff Mar 10, 2020 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 32167390)
There are some smaller regional conferences that are also being cancelled. I read some of their websites and they cite as main reasons increased cancellations from participants, including keynote and invited speakers (many of whom are in the vulnerable/older groups), and social distancing recommendations.

Those conferences that are still trying to make it, they advertise increased precautions such as door handle clean-ups every 30 minutes, and doctors on site. Lastly, some conferences are offering online participation, so that may be a semi-solution for some.

Washington State prohibits all meetings/events with 250+ people.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-and-concerts/

747FC Mar 11, 2020 12:09 am

All because of fear.

I'm pretty sure that all the physician's, medical labs, medical schools, and hospitals that are on high alert are not panicking. They are observing the spread throughout the world and making science-based decisions.

mnredfox Mar 11, 2020 1:40 am

I work in the medical field. Two recent major medical conferences cancelled in March, most notably ACC in Chicago at the end of March. Also, many hospitals are now telling staff/faculty no travel to any work conferences til mid April. Ouch, gonna keep getting worse.

travelinmanS Mar 11, 2020 1:54 am

All because of fear.

Still on for that trip to Japan?

cbourl Mar 11, 2020 2:30 am

Aussie Melbourne Grand Prix going ahead this weekend -ScoMo only changed restrictions for Italians/travellers from Italy so most people have already arrived -wow! I cant even go to Israel for my annual Pesach IL/Pascha GR
Not many countries have let Italians/italian travellers even transit in their airports! WOW! I haven't even heard a scrap about an N95 mask and i work in Aussie healthcare around constant aerosol from oral cavity all day! WOW!!!!!!!! During SARS N95 masks were all the go to protect healthcare providers and patients, mind you I was never even fitted for one, and as we all know they need to be custom fitted and also refitted every year due to facial shape changes. WOW I know why Israel put Aussies on their Corona watchlist before the foreigener blanket ban yesterday