Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Entry restrictions / reopening per country

Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
An updated version of the content of this wikipost may be found at:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...resources.html

Please post any addition/amendment to the list in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.

This list in the IATA travel center is useful to get an overview of entry restrictions by country.
Link to IATA travel center

What's in the list?
IATA uses over 1600 official sources worldwide to update the list. (Source. About Travel Center)
The list is "powered by Timatic", so I expect the content to be identical.

Timing / latest news:
The experience so far suggests that the limit to known, official sources may result in a timing delay of up to several days.
That means that it takes time between the moment when new information is picked up anywhere and the time when validated information arrives via those official channels in the IATA list.

Why is this thread great?
Flyertalk has proven to be fast in compiling information from a wider range of sources. So you may find newer information here, which is not yet published by IATA. The price to pay for this extra speed is of course that unofficial sources can contain less accuracy, all the way down to rumors.

If you have additional information which may not yet be published in the IATA list, then please indicate the source or add a link, so that potential visitors can easily access it.
Thank you!

Last edited by LoungeLizzard; Mar 14, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for something like it.

There are some truly badly written restrictions in there! For example:
KYRGYSTAN
1. Passengers who have been in China (People's Rep.), Iran, Italy, Japan or Korea (Rep.) in the past 20 days are not allowed to transit and enter Kyrgyzstan.
2. Passengers who had been in China (People's Rep.), Iran, Italy, Japan or Korea (Rep.) 21 days or more prior to their arrival in Kyrgyzstan, will be placed in quarantine for 14 days.
As written, this requires a quarantine for anyone arriving in Kyrgyzstan who has ever been to PRC, Iran, Italy, Japan or Korea. Similarly:

ANGOLA
Passengers who arrive from or have been in Algeria, China (People's Rep.), Egypt, Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Nigeria are not allowed to enter Angola.
"have been in"? since when?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I hadnt even thought of this until just today, despite all of this stuff going on...

does Taiwan count as China when it comes to the US entry stuff?

im flying BKK-TPE-SEA-YVR, I havent been to mainland China in months, I wont be leaving the Taipei airport...Im on a Canadian passport...any chance Ill have issues getting through the US?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I hadnt even thought of this until just today, despite all of this stuff going on...

does Taiwan count as China when it comes to the US entry stuff?

im flying BKK-TPE-SEA-YVR, I havent been to mainland China in months, I wont be leaving the Taipei airport...Im on a Canadian passport...any chance Ill have issues getting through the US?
ROC Taiwan does not count as mainland China for the US as far as COVID-19 is concerned but this is not the case for other countries which apply a "One China" approach to their COVID-19 policies so anyone travelling through Taiwan should check carefully with each country they plan to travel to subsequently.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:24 am

Well, Russia is always going to be odd, but.....

5. Passengers who have been in China (People's Rep.), France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Spain coming to Russian Fed. and planning to stay in Moscow must report to the special hotline by phone. Being in Moscow they must stay self-isolated for a period of 14 days. This requirement does not apply to passengers traveling to other Russian cities.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by doctoravios
ROC Taiwan does not count as mainland China for the US as far as COVID-19 is concerned but this is not the case for other countries which apply a "One China" approach to their COVID-19 policies so anyone travelling through Taiwan should check carefully with each country they plan to travel to subsequently.
Thanks. I would've flown directly TPE-YVR, but when Eva made the switch the the 789, they kinda nerfed all J award space so I had to transit SEA instead.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Well, Russia is always going to be odd, but.....

5. Passengers who have been in China (People's Rep.), France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Spain coming to Russian Fed. and planning to stay in Moscow must report to the special hotline by phone. Being in Moscow they must stay self-isolated for a period of 14 days. This requirement does not apply to passengers traveling to other Russian cities.
Looks like it's a Moscow city ordinance rather than something published by the federal government.. Moscow is also probably one of the only cities in Russia that would actually be able to enforce a quarantine, given the widespread facial identification system they have there.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vietnam cancels VOA for 8 European Countries
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
HANOI -- Vietnam suspended visa-free travel for citizens of eight European countries on Monday, including the U.K., France and Germany, after reported cases of the novel coronavirus in the Asian nation nearly doubled over the weekend.

Visitors from these three countries as well as Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden and Spain will be required to undergo a 14-day quarantine, joining those from hard-hit Italy

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...s-cases-double
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:00 am

As per the following info on the Qatar Airways website (https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...virus-Update), Qatari government has temporarily suspended entry into Qatar (but not transit inside the airport) for all those travelling from Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria and Thailand.

Does anybody know how/why they came up with this list? European countries (e.g. Italy) are not on the list, and countries like Nepal and Sri Lanka don't have problems of the same scale as Italy or France.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Does anyone know whether transit through Israel is possible under the new rules.

I have a ticket to Jordan ex Spain which is nominally to Tel Aviv, but in reality the TLV part is a transit, in at midnight, back early next morning and I have no reason to enter the country. Any information welcome.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:11 am

This list is quickly getting very long. Moldova has now banned travel from any country that has any cases.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:36 am

ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA, Fiji, French Polynesia and Sri Lanka with updates today.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
If you have transitted a listed (prohibited) country through their airport, does that count as having "Been in" that country?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
If you have transitted a listed (prohibited) country through their airport, does that count as having "Been in" that country?
It would depend on the country. If you got a passport stamp, you've "been in" that country. Transiting say...Panama, you never clear any kind of customs. But transit Mexico, and you do enter the country and get stamped. So it would likely depend on the country. If you didn't have a stamp (easy visual cue) or didn't cross customs (where your passport would be scanned and registered, even if not stamped) then they'd have no idea really. Airline officials would know where you connected, but it's customs officials who would allow/deny your entry to a country.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:36 pm

Does Mexico have any restrictions that anyone knows of? thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.