Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Vietnam cancels VOA for 8 European Countries

Old Mar 9, 20, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia

HANOI -- Vietnam suspended visa-free travel for citizens of eight European countries on Monday, including the U.K., France and Germany, after reported cases of the novel coronavirus in the Asian nation nearly doubled over the weekend.

Visitors from these three countries as well as Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden and Spain will be required to undergo a 14-day quarantine, joining those from hard-hit Italy

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...s-cases-double
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
This effectively kills tourism from these countries.
anniegray likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Be interesting to see if any additional questions pop up in the visa application.

I'm off to Vietnam early next month and as a UK citizen now have to apply for a visa.
Hopefully a blanket quarantine for citizens from certain countries doesn't take place for the UK as there are expats who've not been exposed to the "risk" countries, like myself and I don't want to be denied entry because of events back in the UK....

Last edited by Wong Jnr; Mar 9, 20 at 10:18 pm
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:29 pm

I am travelling mid April from Australia to visit the wife's family, I have a spouse visa so no worries there and am not concerned about the virus as such but am worried that Australia will come onto the list eventually like the European countries are now.
Nothing like spending the 2 weeks of my holiday in quarantine the whole time.
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr View Post
Be interesting to see if any additional questions pop up in the visa application.

I'm off to Vietnam early next month and as a UK citizen now have to apply for a visa.
Hopefully a blanket quarantine for citizens from certain countries doesn't take place for the UK as there are expats who've not been exposed to the "risk" countries, like myself and I don't want to be denied entry because of events back in the UK....
It seems like the quarantine is required based upon country regardless of whether you have a visa or not. At least thatís the way I read it.
vietnamvisabox likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
It seems like the quarantine is required based upon country regardless of whether you have a visa or not. At least thatís the way I read it.
Yes it is very unclear but that is my interpretation too. I say unclear as it is not clearly defined in the official Vietnam Gazette this way.

As another piece of information https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

“From 0:00 am (Vietnamese time) the 12 of March, Vietnam temporarily stops the 15-day visa exemption for people holding British normal passports. Nationals of the UK must have valid visa in order to enter Vietnam.

Beause of covid -19 outbreak in some countries in Europe, the Embassy of Vietnam in London for the time being will not accept requests for visa processing until further notice. Only applicants with visa approval letter from the Immigration Department of Vietnam can apply for visa issuance from the Embassy.

For those who wish to travel to Vietnam, they need to contact with their Vietnamese sponsors/tour-operators for arrangement of their visas with the Immigration Department of Vietnam. Once they get the visa approval letter from the Immigration Department, they can contact Vietnam Embassy for the issuance of their visas.”

http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.p...n=p&ct=Notice1
vietnamvisabox likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, EK Gold, AB TopBonus Gold, EY Gold
Stuck at Vietnamese immigration

My in laws have just landed in DAD via SQ but have been denied entry. It sounds to me like they should have been denied boarding, but now they are stuck at DAD with no information.

Does anybody know what should happen next? Are SQ obliged to return them to SIN or to LHR, where their routing began? The next flight out on SQ is tomorrow. Does anybody have an obligation to look after them for the next 24 hours? They're in their 70s (it's the Mother in Law's 70th birthday present). My other half is rather worried but I'm not sure what to say will happen to make him feel better.

Last edited by olliesdad; Mar 11, 20 at 1:08 am
Old Mar 11, 20, 3:21 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
The heading on this thread is totally incorrect because the Visa Exemption is not the VOA (or any other type of visa). Vietnam is simply now requiring that nationals of the affected countries (that were formerly exempt from getting a visa) now must obtain a visa to enter Vietnam. My friends at Vietnamtour here in Hanoi can help you with your VOA Approval Letter.
Old Mar 11, 20, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Daawgon View Post
The heading on this thread is totally incorrect because the Visa Exemption is not the VOA (or any other type of visa). Vietnam is simply now requiring that nationals of the affected countries (that were formerly exempt from getting a visa) now must obtain a visa to enter Vietnam. My friends at Vietnamtour here in Hanoi can help you with your VOA Approval Letter.
You left off the most important part. They are also requiring that travelers from those countries must undergo a 14 day home quarantine on arrival. Thatís not so simple.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by olliesdad View Post
My in laws have just landed in DAD via SQ but have been denied entry. It sounds to me like they should have been denied boarding, but now they are stuck at DAD with no information.

Does anybody know what should happen next? Are SQ obliged to return them to SIN or to LHR, where their routing began? The next flight out on SQ is tomorrow. Does anybody have an obligation to look after them for the next 24 hours? They're in their 70s (it's the Mother in Law's 70th birthday present). My other half is rather worried but I'm not sure what to say will happen to make him feel better.
Hi olliesdad,

Sounds like a very bad experience. Given the virus situation, normal visa workarounds seem unlikely (i.e. I've seen people purchase one on the spot). If you can clarify what passport your inlaws hold, that might help if anyone has an entry suggestion. Normal denied entry does require the passengers sent back to origin. No one would look after them by rule that I'm aware of, at least not from the gov't side, but some might be helpful given their age. I would recommend asking some of the SQ experts in that forum what the airline can be asked to do.

The unknown is if their is any changes to normal due to virus. In that case might be completely off script. Plus changes are happening quickly and probably without coordination at times. Please let us know what happens and good luck.
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:32 pm

I'd be wary of travel at this point, given the outbreaks in many countries with airline hubs. Most recent quote:

"Under the PM's directive issued Wednesday, everyone traveling from or transiting through areas with the Covid-19 epidemic must be placed under concentrated quarantine upon entering Vietnam. They would subsequently be screened for appropriate anti-epidemic measures to avoid cross infection."

Of course it is hard to predict, but it is trending to forced quarantine rather than voluntary quarantine at home. The gentleman from the UK who has purposely been running from quarantine after having been on the flight with 11 infected passengers is not helping appearances, right or wrong as that may be.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, EK Gold, AB TopBonus Gold, EY Gold
Originally Posted by maverick17 View Post
Hi olliesdad,

Sounds like a very bad experience. Given the virus situation, normal visa workarounds seem unlikely (i.e. I've seen people purchase one on the spot). If you can clarify what passport your inlaws hold, that might help if anyone has an entry suggestion. Normal denied entry does require the passengers sent back to origin. No one would look after them by rule that I'm aware of, at least not from the gov't side, but some might be helpful given their age. I would recommend asking some of the SQ experts in that forum what the airline can be asked to do.

The unknown is if their is any changes to normal due to virus. In that case might be completely off script. Plus changes are happening quickly and probably without coordination at times. Please let us know what happens and good luck.

Thanks maverick17. They hold UK passports. It sounds like an overzealous border officer, but after intervention from a travel agent rep and a 12 hour wait they were allowed into the country.
Old Mar 11, 20, 1:37 pm

Sounds like the best result possible then olliesdad. Glad they made it.
Old Mar 11, 20, 2:15 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
How on earth is the Hanoi F1 GP going to work under this strict regime?

Virtually all of the F1 Teams are based in the UK or Italy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: