Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Entry restrictions / reopening per country

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
An updated version of the content of this wikipost may be found at:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...resources.html

Please post any addition/amendment to the list in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Entry restrictions / reopening per country

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:34 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Germany 'to close some borders'

From Monday [16 March], Germany will close its land borders with Austria, France and Switzerland to curb the spread of coronavirus, local media report.
The decision has not yet been announced by Germany's government.

Source: BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51895276
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by flyingoldie
I've been wondering what triggers a UK Foreign Office advisory for a particular country. For instance, the entry restrictions for India suspended visas and denied entry several days ago, but an advisory was not issued. Yet an advisory was issued for Poland straight away. Does anyone have any insight on this?
I was wondering the same thing. Israel is pretty crazy with its restrictions yet no warning for Israel...
And I have a trip there that I need to claim!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by flyingoldie
I've been wondering what triggers a UK Foreign Office advisory for a particular country. For instance, the entry restrictions for India suspended visas and denied entry several days ago, but an advisory was not issued. Yet an advisory was issued for Poland straight away. Does anyone have any insight on this?
I’ve always thought of the FCO advisories as reflecting the danger of traveling somewhere, rather than the inconvenience. Are there historical cases where they’ve issued an advisory because the other country has restricted entry for people who have recently been in the UK, or restricted visas for UK citizens?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by flolee
Austria widens travel restrictions, bans all flights and trains to/from France, Spain and Switzerland beginning Monday, issues a travel warning for those countres and all (non-schengen) ppl who have been in those countries in the past 14 days must have a medical certificate dated from a maximum of 4 days before their arrival in Austria.
The IATA page does not show this ban yet, and even Austrian Airlines seems to wonder what is exactly happening.
They write on aua.com that "The Austrian Federal Government has announced to introduce a landing ban for flights from Spain, France and Switzerland as of Monday, 16 March 2020. Austrian Airlines is currently waiting for this announced regulation. As soon as we have received this official information, we will adjust our flight schedule accordingly and publish further information."

The regulation they seem to look for is already published here since Friday.
The text says that the landing ban becomes valid "treten mit Ablauf des 16. März 2020 in Kraft", which I understand as after March 16th and not "as of" the 16th.

Last edited by LoungeLizzard; Mar 15, 2020 at 11:58 am
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:46 pm

SOUTH AFRICA issued a travel ban on foreign nationals from high risk countries including Italy, Iran, USA, China, UK, Germany, ...

Source: The president of South Africa in a press conference
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
German borders closed to Austria, Switzerland, France tomorrow morning 8 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
From Monday [16 March], Germany will close its land borders with Austria, France and Switzerland to curb the spread of coronavirus, local media report.
The decision has not yet been announced by Germany's government.

Source: BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51895276
The Federal Minister of Internal Affairs Horst Seehofer officially announced at 7pm that Germany will close borders to Austria, Switzerland and France tomorrow morning 8am.

This means only people can pass the borders to Germany who go back home from travel, or are commuters. All others will be refused to pass the borders. In case of the borders between Kufstein Tyrol Austria and Kiefersfelden Germany hundreds to thousands of people passed every day the borders in both directions to go shopping, to restaurants, go on holidays, visit friends. So I would definetely say CLOSED is the correct term.

Tyrol has been closed today with curfew. Only very important things allow you to leave home. Police is controlling. I work for a system relevant medical device supplier on German side so they will have to allow me to leave home and I will see how easy I get to my company on German side.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by submonte
The Federal Minister of Internal Affairs Horst Seehofer officially announced at 7pm that Germany will close borders to Austria, Switzerland and France tomorrow morning 8am.
Per Welt, the list includes Denmark and Luxembourg.

n der Coronavirus-Krise führt Deutschland am Montag umfassende Kontrollen und Einreiseverbote an den Grenzen zur Schweiz, Österreich, Frankreich, Luxemburg und Dänemark ein. „Für Reisende ohne triftigen Reisegrund gilt, dass sie nicht mehr einreisen können“, sagte Bundesinnenminister Horst Seehofer (CSU) am Sonntagabend in Berlin. Die Entscheidung werde am Montag ab 8 Uhr greifen.
Edit to add source: https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschl...e-Grenzen.html

Last edited by WorldLux; Mar 15, 2020 at 3:19 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Germany:
Did someone catch what Mr. Seehofer said about aviation? - From what I've read so far, he only mentioned restrictions on land borders.
One thing he made clear is that the borders remain open for the import and export of goods, and all news I saw so far mentioned that commuters are allowed to go to work across the border as well.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

MOROCCO: (not yet published by IATA)
Moroccan authorities announced March 14 that they would suspend flights to and from 25 additional countries to stem the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). These countries include: Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chad, Denmark, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Jordan, Lebanon, Mali, Mauritania, the Netherlands, Niger, Norway, Oman, Portugal, Senegal, Switzerland, Sweden, Tunisia, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates.

Morocco indefinitely suspended all air and sea travel to and from France from March 13. The move came one day after Rabat imposed an identical travel ban with regard to Spain. Officials have also indefinitely closed the border with the Spanish autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla, located on the north coast of Africa as of March 13.
Source: Worldaware
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Peru [not yet in IATA]: Total suspension of international passenger flights (departures and landings), effective March 16. [As well as border crossings via land, boat, or rivers]
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
Major new restrictions in Singapore also:

https://www.gov.sg/article/covid-19-...ring-singapore
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Singapore effectively shuts down entry from ASEAN - all short-term visitors from ASEAN countries are required to submit declaration at Singapore consulates at their countries and get approval before travelling.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Singapore effectively shuts down entry from ASEAN - all short-term visitors from ASEAN countries are required to submit declaration at Singapore consulates at their countries and get approval before travelling.
And interestingly, it's a citizenship-based requirement. A (for example) Vietnamese national flying from outside ASEAN is subject to this, while a non-ASEAN national flying from Vietnam is not (but would still be subject to the stay-at-home requirement once in Singapore).
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:40 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by bobbytables
And interestingly, it's a citizenship-based requirement. A (for example) Vietnamese national flying from outside ASEAN is subject to this, while a non-ASEAN national flying from Vietnam is not (but would still be subject to the stay-at-home requirement once in Singapore).
See my message in the main thread - it is basically done to stop wealthy and not so ASEAN country citizens to come and get treated for their sickness in Singapore.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Aruba [not yet in ITA]:

​​​​​​Total suspension of inbound travel (via air or sea) by foreigners effective midnight March 16th.
source: https://www.aruba.com/us/traveler-health-requirements

Aruba residents are still allowed to return.

Foreigners are allowed to depart... but Airlines will cancel flights almost immediately, so how?
​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.