Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa announced ConnectMiles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I have been flying Copa for years, but I just last week learned something that I had never discovered. Try switching to the Panama site if the fare you want is too high.

I was trying to book a flight on the Colombia site, but it was over $1100. Bought it from UA for $440ish. Later learned that it was about the same on Copa's Panama site. That will be important going forward from 7/1/15.

No indication on whether tickets purchased on copaair.com carry more weight for status launch than tickets purchased elsewhere. Hoping not. My only two RTs this year prior to July 1 have been purchased from UA for the reason noted above.

Also unsure about how much history will be reviewed to determine status at launch. They had originally stated that flights in the first half of 2015 would be used as the measure, but today's announcement doesn't make that distinction.

I flew a lot of Copa flights between the USA and Latin America last year, but only two since jumping from UA to AA on an EXP offer. Need the credit for those flights on AA to keep my EXP after 2015 unless I travel more in the 2nd half than I have in the first.

Copa's my favorite in their region, though. Flew AV last week, and the connection at BOG can stink if the flight arrives or departs from a pod. Even more so in the rain. Hate how AV boards Clase Ejecutiva onto the bus first, then lets everyone make a mad dash for the stairs regardless of cabin. Really, I just don't like cramped bus rides period.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: BA
Site says accumulation is NOT dependent on ticket price.

ps. AV boards how Colombia boards: no one else on the planet even exists.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by IanWorthington
Site says accumulation is NOT dependent on ticket price.

ps. AV boards how Colombia boards: no one else on the planet even exists.
Yes and no. I agree that Colombia has its own unique practice of both boarding and exiting. That's really the fault of the airlines. They don't attempt to do anything to change the behavior.

The one and only time that I have arrived in BOG at a pod when traveling Copa, they had a separate van (Not a bus) which was waiting for those of us in Clase Ejecutiva. One of the FAs stood between the cabins to hold back the masses, and there was an announcement that they would be first allowing CE pax off the plane, then a bus would arrive for those in economica.

I have never departed BOG from a pod when flying Copa, so I don't know if they have the same practice, but it made a huge difference in the total premium cabin experience.

Boarding the bus first as a premium cabin passenger is actually a disadvantage. We get buried behind those that are crammed onto the bus after us, so we can't get off the bus first. All we get to do is spend more time on that uncomfortable, overcrowded bus.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Status Match

As my previous MileagePlus elite status elapsed last year, and I now find myself with LANPASS Comodoro status, I emailed Copa to ask about the possibility of a Status Match once the new program opens for business.

Am happy to report that the answer is YES!

The customer service rep who replied to me said that she contacted their Operations Management people, and they told her that yes, they would match my status.

Of course, it's not yet possible to enroll in the program (not until May), so she asked that I contact them at that time, at which point they'll let me know whatever it is that they might require. (Assuming a copy of my current LANPASS statement to show my status would suffice.)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm interested in seeing the *A award chart. They have n such chart visible that I can see yet.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA
Of course. Without awards or earnings charts the program is just vapourware for now.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Copa Presidential Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Will they let us transfer our MP miles? I avoided buying Copa flights this year due to the huge devaluation of earnings with MP (no more Elite bonus!!!) but I have south America flights coming up and if in some way I can find out I would gladly book Copa and transfer to ConnectMiles, however I do have over half million miles in my account and would rather not loose them...
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by KLM671
Will they let us transfer our MP miles? I avoided buying Copa flights this year due to the huge devaluation of earnings with MP (no more Elite bonus!!!) but I have south America flights coming up and if in some way I can find out I would gladly book Copa and transfer to ConnectMiles, however I do have over half million miles in my account and would rather not loose them...
No. I'm in the same boat as you. However, you will still be able to book CM flights through the UA website using your UA miles, just like any other *A carrier. I'm thinking that using MP miles on CM should effectively not be any different than it is today, though I don't know that for sure. If somebody knows for sure, I'd be happy to hear.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
From United's end...

http://mileageplusupdates.com/copaupdate/

Of course, Copa has to do what they have to do, but it's a shame that they couldn't have waited and all come together and settled down at once, both here and at United. In the meantime, the KISS principle - fundamental to any such program - is seriously abused. It may be quite a challenge for ConnectMiles to come from behind (thank you again, United, for the confusion) right out of the gate.

Also, just to clarify one of the OP's points, signing up now to subscribe just gets one in line to enroll in the program down the line, and then to earn the 1,000 for that.

Now, will there come a time when all settles out for it to make sense for some people to earn all their miles into ConnectMiles when flying United?

ETA: Anyone else get "This email is already registered" when signing up to subscribe?

Last edited by Firewind; Apr 6, 2015 at 5:23 am
Old May 18, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
Star Alliance accrual chart posted

http://connectmiles.copaair.com/en/e...ember-airlines

50% for many airlines
Old May 19, 2015, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AdamSouthFL
50% for many airlines
They also have the *A redemption chart up. Star Alliance Award Chart. Same ridiculously high levels as UA.

So much for this program being a good alternative to Mileage Plus.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
As my previous MileagePlus elite status elapsed last year, and I now find myself with LANPASS Comodoro status, I emailed Copa to ask about the possibility of a Status Match once the new program opens for business.

Am happy to report that the answer is YES!

The customer service rep who replied to me said that she contacted their Operations Management people, and they told her that yes, they would match my status.

Of course, it's not yet possible to enroll in the program (not until May), so she asked that I contact them at that time, at which point they'll let me know whatever it is that they might require. (Assuming a copy of my current LANPASS statement to show my status would suffice.)
Anyone going to try to status match?

There top tier has regional and global upgrades that can be used on United. 2nd highest tier has regional upgrades as well
Old May 19, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
They also have the *A redemption chart up. Star Alliance Award Chart. Same ridiculously high levels as UA.

So much for this program being a good alternative to Mileage Plus.
Disappointed to see the reduced earnings on partner flights. If you will be doing most of your flying with Copa though, then I guess the program is still worth it. But if most of your flying comes with other Star Alliance partners, then it's not a good option.

Just checking some of the partner earning rates, I see that Air New Zealand, Singapore, and Turkish seem to have a lot of fare classes that will earn 0%.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgriz18
Anyone going to try to status match?

There top tier has regional and global upgrades that can be used on United. 2nd highest tier has regional upgrades as well
I'll still do the status match, come June 10th, when enrollment officially begins, since I'm going to have some upcoming flights with Copa in July and August anyway. Hopefully, I'll have the same success at upgrades as I had with Copa in recent years.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
This came in an email today:

"Private enrollment begins on May 20th. We will recognize members' previous flying with Copa Airlines and will invite members to join and receive their reserved status. Please watch for the invitation email."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.