Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa, PTY connection questions.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
PTY finally installed new useful screens for gate information. The previous system required the traveler to stand and wait as the screens scrolled (seemingly randomly) through the various destinations.
Now, all flights are shown simultaneously. Listing flights in chronological order is a bit unusual, but it's still a great improvement.
I have seen other airports list by time vs. destination, and since the passenger is aware of their scheduled time it might be less confusing than seeing 6 flights to say SJO or wherever and getting the wrong gate in mind.

Is there more than one of these? The old ones did not scroll at all above part way through the list maybe 2 of maybe 4.

Now if they could put a few signs pointing out where the Copa Club is.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I flew on UA to IAH in late September, and there was a separate and vacant entry to the gate (#22) for Group 1/2. This entry was on the opposite side of the gate area than the Group 3/4/5 entrance. The Group 3-5 line was about 50 people long, and it ended very near the Group 1/2 entrance. Is it possible she was pointing you to the separate entry? In fact, I wouldn't have noticed the Group 1/2 entry, except I was trudging to the end of the long line with great trepidation when I saw the Group 1/2 sign, with a UA employee standing alone at the entry. I sheepishly approached her and was pleasantly surprised - no, ecstatic - she gladly accepted my boarding pass and passport and sent me in.
I should have said that all my US flights this year have been on Copa, and all YYZ flights have been AC

She was definitely not pointing to a separate line. It was at gate 8 i think, where everyone lines up along the glass, with the sign at the front of the line (before the xray) saying Prefer Access on the left and the rest on the right (the glass). She was definitely pointing at the back of the line, as she was at the top of it, standing under said sign

The AC flights I have been on have gone from gate 32, and there doesn't seem to be a separate line for premium rouge passengers, so I just line up along the glass in that one - for some reason, nearer the top of the line between 2 pillars, all of a sudden they split the line into 2. No idea why they do this, as they just merge it again about 10 feet later. Seems to only cause issues

I flew to FLL 2 weeks ago from gate 6. The problem there is that the security starts outside of gate 4. There were at least 3 security stations (presuming one each for 6, 7, 7A) with no signage whatsoever about who was doing which gate, but again with signs pointing out prefer access vs non prefer access. Only a couple of people in each line, so we gambled on the left line being 6 and was told it was for gate 6 a few seconds later. MCO was going from 7A and I cannot remember what was going from 7
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I have seen other airports list by time vs. destination, and since the passenger is aware of their scheduled time it might be less confusing than seeing 6 flights to say SJO or wherever and getting the wrong gate in mind.
I've never seen departures listed by destinations anywhere outside the US and Canada.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I have a 41 minute connection coming up landing in from SJO and then leaving onto LAX. The 41 mins have obviously been done on purpose as the minimum is 40. Still get to try the next -9 MAX
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:35 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
PTY has little x-ray/security stands at the gates that are at best (for flights to Canada anyway) lackadaisical because they like to chat to each other or you while the bag goes through thus nobody seems to look at the monitors. Since they know you arrived on a flight that was secure and the stuff they sell in the terminal does not include machetes and such, you can imagine they think it is a bit of security theatre. Maybe to USA they are more diligent, because USA calls for supplemental security at some airports, and Canada never did (in SJO for example they do not do this at all for Canada). SAL followed the lead from PTY (and MGA does nothing) but can clear 5 arriving flights at 7 a.m. in 20 minutes. They have it down to an art, and as a hub, they should.

On your outbound you just walk to the gate, tip - take the map out of the in flight magazine. PTY overhead flight gate screens are horrible and do not cycle through all destinations ( I am trying to recall but I think on the walls, there are larger and more complete ones) so Bogota should be good (B) and Washington (W) not so good. Maybe ask at the gate when you arrive or if you are in J at the Copa Club (which is also quite hard to find - no signage in the terminal where it is found).

At times they park arriving flights away from the gate and then bus you to the terminal (still after security) but even then they are probably OK for 75 minutes. Copa will hold long haul flights (to USA/Canada) if the inbound is late. Luggage is never an issue. I have connected late inbound from MGA outbound to SJO and had 15 minutes and the luggage arrived.
Thanks for the response and the feedback -- super useful! I have a longer layover on the way to BOG, and so hopefully I'll have the lay of the land and the Copa Club location down pat.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by autobahnal
Thanks for the response and the feedback -- super useful! I have a longer layover on the way to BOG, and so hopefully I'll have the lay of the land and the Copa Club location down pat.
Visit a Wendy's or TGI Fridays on a 2 for 1 day and you should be ready for the similar ambience in the Copa Club other than the less food available than the aforementioned joints.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:30 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Visit a Wendy's or TGI Fridays on a 2 for 1 day and you should be ready for the similar ambience in the Copa Club other than the less food available than the aforementioned joints.
LOL!!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott-SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Wife and I are flying Business Class on Copa Saturday from YYZ-PTY-LIM. We have about a 4 1/2 hour midday layover (14:18 - 18:46) . Any suggestions on what to do at PTY for that amount of time?

Doesn't look like we have even remotely enough time to leave the airport, so guessing either of the clubs at PTY are our best/only option?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Do not go into the city, as you would just turn back right away once you got there due to traffic. If you hang out airside, in the Copa Club etc, you will not need to go through immigration. Bring a book/iPad

The other club is landside, so you would have to go through immigration & customs and then pass through security again after using the club (neither of which should take too long)
Sabre1 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Sabre1
Any suggestions on what to do at PTY for that amount of time?
If you were so inclined, you could make a quick visit the ruins at Panama Viejo. At 3 pm, it would be very hot and humid and possibly raining. The ruins are not that interesting, especially compared to other colonial sites, but the museums (with a/c) there might interest you. Google "Museum Plaza Mayor" and "centro de visitantes panama viejo". Traffic wouldn't be a problem before 4:30, 15 minutes both ways in an Uber. You couldn't spend more than an hour at the site though. This would be for risk-tolerant travelers eager to check a box off their list. Most of that gold the spaniards sacked out of Peru that you'll learn about in Lima passed through Panama Viejo on its way back to Europe.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

Flew thru YYZ in Sept and now the extra security included everyone with laptops doing a third “security check” - all laptops swabbed. But to be fair it only took 2-3 minutes extra

Will be flying thru YYZ again next week and probably twice more this year too, will report back if anything has changed
Just got off PTY-YYZ. Nothing regarding the above has changed.

Did find out that you showing your business/premium Rouge boarding pass to the agent at the top of the 2nd security screening line, will get you in at the top
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA, OZ
Experience in PTY

Recently (Nov) done a IAD-PTY-MVD.
The connection time is 1 hour 17 min, if I remember correctly. (give and take 10 min)

The first leg on time arrival. I just need to walk from one gate to another gate, no further security screening. But the walk is about 10 min if walk and small run.
I know I have time to look around the terminal, but too short to visit the lounge, so I just take my own time and pace.

I reach the gate about 50 min before departure, and they have started boarding. Board the flight, on time departure.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I had 1h7m to connect recently on a IAD-PTY-SDQ. We were told that the flight would be boarding by the time we reached the connecting gate.
The SDQ flight was departing from the gate across the arrival gate, but surprisingly, they only started boarding 30 minutes before departure. First time connecting in PTY, not sure if it was because of the Christmas rush but the place was a madhouse. Not looking forward to a 4h30m connection on the way back.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:46 am

PTY has little x-ray/security stands at the gates that are at best (for flights to Canada anyway) lackadaisical because they like to chat to each other or you while the bag goes through thus nobody seems to look at the monitors... Maybe to USA they are more diligent, because USA calls for supplemental security at some airports...
I was doing a run to SFO a couple of weeks back on the lovely new CM 737-9 (739MAX, however they refer to it) and was in BG1 at gate 20. I got there as they were setting things up for the 2nd screening, and so just stood where I thought the entrance would be. Got chatting to a guy from CA, who had been down in South America for a bit, he was also flying in business. He was asking what was being set up and I told him about the secondary screening, and how it was pretty much pointless as they do not look at the monitors, and just load up the bins with all electronics with no need to separate them, etc. After it was set up, they had everyone move in front of the other gate (20A?) to line up to use the machines, so everyone shuffled over. Myself and some other prefer access passengers stood slightly off to the left of the line, in the hopes that they would have a separate entry. They ended up not having any signage, but did allow us in first (I guess you have to be in the know for this, or you were part of the long normal line). Got through without an issue, being told once again to put both laptops in the same (small) bin. No 3rd check for laptops like there has been for me on AC to YYZ for the last 3 trips.

Once inside at the gate, 4-5 of us were talking about the California fires. After a few minutes one of the guys asked if this flight is going to Newark! Someone let him know that that was with United, and this was gate 20. He left to go to his actual gate, no doubt going through the same security once again. So yea, lackadaisical sums it up nicely for USA flights too, as all tickets and passports are checked at these secondary screenings. So they missed the different airline, different gate number and different city on his boarding pass!!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I am seeing a lot of reports of really bad traffic between PTY and the city. Is there ever bad traffic on weekends? I would be arriving at around 6am on a Saturday and my departing flight would be either at 12pm or 3pm the same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.