Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa, PTY connection questions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Milkman
Thats not a problem. Copa handles tonnes of connections like that every day.
If the connecting COPA flight is to the US, does that change the equation at all? Is 50 minutes generally still sufficient?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by nall
If the connecting COPA flight is to the US, does that change the equation at all? Is 50 minutes generally still sufficient?
Generally, yes, still sufficient. No problem with checked bags. But, beware that all flights to the US involve a secondary security re-inspection at the gate. Carry-ons x-rayed, electronics out, walk-through metal detector. This will add a few minutes to your butt landing in your seat, but they won't shut the door with you in line. Your carry-on bags will be subject to the 100 mL liquid rule and such, affecting any post-security liquid purchases at your inbound airport or in PTY.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:05 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
Generally, yes, still sufficient. No problem with checked bags. But, beware that all flights to the US involve a secondary security re-inspection at the gate. Carry-ons x-rayed, electronics out, walk-through metal detector. This will add a few minutes to your butt landing in your seat, but they won't shut the door with you in line. Your carry-on bags will be subject to the 100 mL liquid rule and such, affecting any post-security liquid purchases at your inbound airport or in PTY.
Just wanted to confirm something that was mentioned upthread but the post is a few years old --

So from IAD-PTY-BOG there would be no security check in PTY at all? Just walk from one gate to the next?

And from BOG-PTY-IAD there would *only* be a security check at the gate for the PTY-IAD flight?

Normally I would be very worried about a 75-minute international-to-international connection but from everything I've read it sounds like it's not a big deal at PTY. I'm just so used to connecting in places like NRT or TPE where you need to clear security even for international-to-international connections.

Thanks!
~Adam
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by autobahnal
Just wanted to confirm something that was mentioned upthread but the post is a few years old --

So from IAD-PTY-BOG there would be no security check in PTY at all? Just walk from one gate to the next?

And from BOG-PTY-IAD there would *only* be a security check at the gate for the PTY-IAD flight?

Normally I would be very worried about a 75-minute international-to-international connection but from everything I've read it sounds like it's not a big deal at PTY. I'm just so used to connecting in places like NRT or TPE where you need to clear security even for international-to-international connections.

Thanks!
~Adam
Yeah, that connection should be no problem. When you walk off the IAD flight you will be right in the terminal. Just head over to your next gate, and you'll be able to get on the flight to BOG. Should be no problem.

Of course on the way back there will be an additional security screening at the gate. So don't buy any bottles of water or anything like that because they will take them during that screening.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:35 am

You're correct. No immigration or security at all arriving from any origin and going to any destination except for US. Flights to the US require a security check at the gate by contractors.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:46 am

New screens

PTY finally installed new useful screens for gate information. The previous system required the traveler to stand and wait as the screens scrolled (seemingly randomly) through the various destinations.
Now, all flights are shown simultaneously. Listing flights in chronological order is a bit unusual, but it's still a great improvement.

Venezuela-Miami and joe_miami like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:54 am

You're correct. No immigration or security at all arriving from any origin and going to any destination except for US. Flights to the US require a security check at the gate by contractors.
Great -- thanks so much for the quick and helpful response! I worry less about a gate security check (relative to a large centralized one) because I figure they won't close the door if they see me standing there in line, just like in SIN.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Yeah, that connection should be no problem. When you walk off the IAD flight you will be right in the terminal. Just head over to your next gate, and you'll be able to get on the flight to BOG. Should be no problem.

Of course on the way back there will be an additional security screening at the gate. So don't buy any bottles of water or anything like that because they will take them during that screening.
Thanks so much for the quick and helpful response! And noted on the liquids. I'll be in business and so it should be no problem (I hope!) getting water etc. onboard.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:21 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks so much for the quick and helpful response! And noted on the liquids. I'll be in business and so it should be no problem (I hope!) getting water etc. onboard.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it in J. I have always been impressed with the service.

Even on short hops like PTY-CUR and PTY-CTG they have good service on those short flights.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it in J. I have always been impressed with the service.

Even on short hops like PTY-CUR and PTY-CTG they have good service on those short flights.
Great to hear. This is the first time I'm flying CM.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

Thanks!
~Adam
PTY has little x-ray/security stands at the gates that are at best (for flights to Canada anyway) lackadaisical because they like to chat to each other or you while the bag goes through thus nobody seems to look at the monitors. Since they know you arrived on a flight that was secure and the stuff they sell in the terminal does not include machetes and such, you can imagine they think it is a bit of security theatre. Maybe to USA they are more diligent, because USA calls for supplemental security at some airports, and Canada never did (in SJO for example they do not do this at all for Canada). SAL followed the lead from PTY (and MGA does nothing) but can clear 5 arriving flights at 7 a.m. in 20 minutes. They have it down to an art, and as a hub, they should.

On your outbound you just walk to the gate, tip - take the map out of the in flight magazine. PTY overhead flight gate screens are horrible and do not cycle through all destinations ( I am trying to recall but I think on the walls, there are larger and more complete ones) so Bogota should be good (B) and Washington (W) not so good. Maybe ask at the gate when you arrive or if you are in J at the Copa Club (which is also quite hard to find - no signage in the terminal where it is found).

At times they park arriving flights away from the gate and then bus you to the terminal (still after security) but even then they are probably OK for 75 minutes. Copa will hold long haul flights (to USA/Canada) if the inbound is late. Luggage is never an issue. I have connected late inbound from MGA outbound to SJO and had 15 minutes and the luggage arrived.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
PTY has little x-ray/security stands at the gates that are at best (for flights to Canada anyway) lackadaisical
So, you indicate they have the gate security for Canada flights. I wonder if they do it for Europe too. I haven't experienced CM's security on US flights in a while, but I can say that the contractors working the UA flights are diligent--annoyingly diligent perhaps.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
So, you indicate they have the gate security for Canada flights. I wonder if they do it for Europe too. I haven't experienced CM's security on US flights in a while, but I can say that the contractors working the UA flights are diligent--annoyingly diligent perhaps.
Flew thru YYZ in June from PTY and was surprised to have to do the additional security as thought it was for USA flights only

Also flew LH to FRA and had to do additional security in June! They had a separate line for business, but nothing for *G or PE afair

Flew thru YYZ in Sept and now the extra security included everyone with laptops doing a third “security check” - all laptops swabbed. But to be fair it only took 2-3 minutes extra

Will be flying thru YYZ again next week and probably twice more this year too, will report back if anything has changed

What has always “amused” me is that the premier/prefer/ejecutivo line is non-existent for most of the times I am at one of these extra security gates. For a flight thru IAD earlier in the year I bypassed the long line and lined up underneath the sign that says prefer to the left and non-prefer to the right. Showed my boarding pass & passport to the lady, who pointed me back to the end of the line. I pointed up at the sign and mentioned “ejecutivo”, and she told me that they don’t do that at this gate - even though I was literally pointing at the sign at the gate. Panama, oh well

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Oct 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm Reason: IAD (Dulles) not IAH - sorry for confusion
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
What has always “amused” me is that the premier/prefer/ejecutivo line is non-existent for most of the times I am at one of these extra security gates. For a flight thru IAH earlier in the year I bypassed the long line and lined up underneath the sign that says prefer to the left and non-prefer to the right. I pointed up at the sign and mentioned “ejecutivo”, and she told me that they don’t do that at this gate - even though I was literally pointing at the sign at the gate. Panama, oh well
I flew on UA to IAH in late September, and there was a separate and vacant entry to the gate (#22) for Group 1/2. This entry was on the opposite side of the gate area than the Group 3/4/5 entrance. The Group 3-5 line was about 50 people long, and it ended very near the Group 1/2 entrance. Is it possible she was pointing you to the separate entry? In fact, I wouldn't have noticed the Group 1/2 entry, except I was trudging to the end of the long line with great trepidation when I saw the Group 1/2 sign, with a UA employee standing alone at the entry. I sheepishly approached her and was pleasantly surprised - no, ecstatic - she gladly accepted my boarding pass and passport and sent me in.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I haven't seen security at other than the US/Canada gates but to be honest have not really looked for KLM etc. I don't think so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.