Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Question & Issues You Want Answered and Addressed at DO IV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question & Issues You Want Answered and Addressed at DO IV

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Renard
While US F is bad, to say that CO Y is on par with US F is a bit of an exaggeration IMHO. Take it from a silver who has spend a fair amount of time in CO Y....I'd take US F over CO Y....plastic cups and all.
I flew 8 segments on US last year, and got 2 op-ups as UA *G (with no upgrade privileges), or 25%. On CO, I got a 33% upgrade rate as Platinum with top-tier upgrade privileges, not significantly better.

While there's no doubt that CO F is better than US F, and my experience is anecdotal, it does appear that US F is at least more accessible to its Elites. If I'm doing roughly the same, upgrade-wise, on US as a partner-Elite/nobody as I am on CO as a bona fide CO Platinum, imagine what a US CP is getting.

I don't like US as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather take 90% upgrades on US F than 33% on CO F, despite the product variance, if US can deliver somewhat reliably.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa

While there's no doubt that CO F is better than US F, and my experience is anecdotal, it does appear that US F is at least more accessible to its Elites.
That is because US F is not worth paying for. The front cabins are filled primarily with upgraders.

If your primary objective is to sit in a better seat and you fly over 100K miles or 120 segments/year, and you tend to book more than a week in advance, then US is probably your best bet.

Don't forget that alot of CO Plats will be dropping status (or losing it altogether) on March 1, so there will be a bit less competition for upgrades.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by Renard
but it would not surprise me to see CO not give Star Alliance Gold to OP Gold Elites....as I said, they loath to give free lounge access to anyone. They do it out of sheer obligation and will be as stingy as possible with it--hence plats only.
US/UA don't allow their own *G elites to use the lounge, so I can very well see something similar done by CO, would make sorta sense to keep those distinctions in place (across UA/US/CO)...
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: CO-Platinum; Amex Platinum; SPG-Gold; Peasant with AA, & WN, Hotels: PH, KC, OM, HH, MC, HI(IN) & JD
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Okay everyone here's a rough draft of comments through post 44.

Continental.com & Customer TechnologyHub Airports & Customer Care
Why eliminate the free standby at the airport?
There is a sub-issue here. Free standby on 1st flight vs free standby on earlier connecting flight.

While I understand the rational of charging for changing plans before you start, it's different when you get in early and can make an earlier connection or you are able to make an "illegal" 20 minute connection because your next flight is at the gate next door. This frees up a seat on the later flight to sell or for irregular ops. Also, it saves time not having to process the fee.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: CO-Platinum; Amex Platinum; SPG-Gold; Peasant with AA, & WN, Hotels: PH, KC, OM, HH, MC, HI(IN) & JD
Trip Alert upgrades

2 suggestions for trip alert:

Trip alert information for connecting flights. I want an SMS when I land at hub with gate and status of my connecting flight.

Trip alert when flight starts boarding. I want to know when to leave the President's Club. This can be triggered by first scanned boarding pass.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
List of other airlines which CO interlines for rebookings

In the back of the CO In flight magazine - CO spells out the irregular ops procedures.

For a mechanical delay more than 2 hours - CO will but you on another airline which they have a booking arrangement. I assume this is all the majors (minus Southwest).

CO - please identify the airlines that one can be rebooked on in the USA if there is a mechanical delay more than 2 hours.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by jupper
US/UA don't allow their own *G elites to use the lounge, so I can very well see something similar done by CO, would make sorta sense to keep those distinctions in place (across UA/US/CO)...
They do for international flights. However, UA considers Mexico to be "International," whereas US does not: US *G's on same-day UA flights to Mexico will be admitted to the RCC's, whereas UA *G's on same-day US flights to Mexico will not, unless they have a RCC membership, which automatically allows same-day access to US Clubs if you are flying on US metal.

I'm not sure about Canada.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Thanks J.Edward

J.Edward, thanks for compiling everything into one list. This is my first DO (hopefully the first of many) and I'm looking forward to meeting you all!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by SS255

I'm not sure about Canada.
UA considers Canada international; US considers it domestic.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by farenthold
2 suggestions for trip alert:

Trip alert information for connecting flights. I want an SMS when I land at hub with gate and status of my connecting flight.

Trip alert when flight starts boarding. I want to know when to leave the President's Club. This can be triggered by first scanned boarding pass.
I would settle for Trip Alert functioning properly and consistently.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
updated through 175

Last edited by J.Edward; Feb 5, 2009 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 5, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Simillar to UA, will CO provide PC membership using miles? Or has Chase taken over the PC market?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by TXbizman
Simillar to UA, will CO provide PC membership using miles? Or has Chase taken over the PC market?
We could dream.. but my guess is that the chance of CO allowing miles redemption for the PC is slim to none...but hey I've been wrong many times
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
RDU question

Any chance of moving the gates closer(at least) to the middle of T1-Since most every other airline has moved to the new and lovely T2
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SS255
US *G's on same-day UA flights to Mexico will be admitted to the RCC's, whereas UA *G's on same-day US flights to Mexico will not, unless they have a RCC membership, which automatically allows same-day access to US Clubs if you are flying on US metal.
This is not correct.

UA*G is allowed lounge access when flying to Mexico. If a UA*G is flying US to/from Mexico, they can get into the US lounge. A US*G flying US to/from Mexico will NOT get the access. Since the US lounge deals mostly with US Elites, many US lounge agents confuse this issue, but if you get a knowledgeable agent and/or press it, you're fine. The rules are very clear under UA in the lounge access guide that the US lounge agents have. When I travelled PVR-PHX-SFO last year, the first agent denied me, and the second agent quickly interrupted her, pointing out the nuance that for a UA*G it's ok.

The rule of thumb is that a *A carrier may not prohibit access to another carrier's *G on an int'l itinerary. They can, however, prohibit access to their own Elites from accessing their own lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.