Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat
I guess the rain will never stop here in H-town. Right now JFK is flooded again and there are many convoys being directed all over the airport by airport operation vehicles. the largest convoy was about 30-40 cars that was brought past terminal A over to C and lead out a access gate there. All the cars are personal vehicles.

This will make some of you smile but we are joking right now that all the airport moniters are showing almost all flights ON TIME, only about 6 flights show cancelled but I am sure that it has to do with the electrical problems we have been having. I am curious to see how many people (There are always some) that try to show up to the airport today to fly out. Save your gas people and always be safe.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:35 am

Thanks, and info

Adding my thanks to coairtul for updates.

There's a rather doom-ish post now on the IAH website: http://www.fly2houston.com/default.a...-20080913.html - it is dated yesterday and I believe was posted last night (as I didn't see it at 9 PM ET looking at the site).

It looks like there's a ton of damage to IAH. The people mover seems like a loss, and the tram seems to have taken major damage. "All" of the jet bridges are damaged with some majorly damaged. Terminal D has structural damage. And the fuel farm is not accessible until power is restored.

I'm guessing I need to change my Tuesday itinerary. I'm scheduled to go to LBB via IAH, flying US to IAH and then CO IAH-LBB. But I probably can't change it yet because US is the ticketing airline and per their website they aren't changing tickets after today due to Ike.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Ex Plat, WN A List, Hertz Gold Five Star, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Curfew Impact?

With the 9pm to 6am curfew in place through Friday night this week, how will this impact CO operations?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: UA GS
Is it even possible to drive to IAH from downtown?

From the information I am able to gather from the local media, I-45 N, 59, and the Hardy Toll Road all have significant lane closures due to flooding.

I am planning on flying to IAH tomorrow morning, empty the fridge and freezer at my house and clean up any debris, and then fly back to NY until power is restored.

Just wondering if this plan is crazy if CO employees cannot get to the airport or if I cannot drive home from the airport (assuming my car last seen on the roof (level 7) of the Terminal C parking garage is undamaged).
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DMWT
From the information I am able to gather from the local media, I-45 N, 59, and the Hardy Toll Road all have significant lane closures due to flooding.

I am planning on flying to IAH tomorrow morning, empty the fridge and freezer at my house and clean up any debris, and then fly back to NY until power is restored.

Just wondering if this plan is crazy if CO employees cannot get to the airport or if I cannot drive home from the airport (assuming my car last seen on the roof (level 7) of the Terminal C parking garage is undamaged).
Where is your house? I'm monitoring KHOU on DirecTV 361, and can let you know what I hear from them...

Link to Houston TranStar high-water locations:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/roadclosures/

Last edited by Bonehead; Sep 14, 2008 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Where is your house? I'm monitoring KHOU on DirecTV 361, and can let you know what I hear from them...
It's on the east side of Memorial Park (closest major intersection is Westcott and Memorial Drive). Normally, I take I-10 E to I-45 N to 610 to Hardy to get to the airport. From what I can gather, it looks like Memorial Dr. and Allen Parkway are mostly underwater between Shepherd and downtown and that I-10 is underwater at White Oak Bayou.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMWT
It's on the east side of Memorial Park (closest major intersection is Westcott and Memorial Drive). Normally, I take I-10 E to I-45 N to 610 to Hardy to get to the airport. From what I can gather, it looks like Memorial Dr. and Allen Parkway are mostly underwater between Shepherd and downtown and that I-10 is underwater at White Oak Bayou.
As of right now the mayor is admonishing folks to stay off the roadways. Hard to know what the situation will be tomorrow, but there's a nighttime curfew in effect until Friday.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by dougbroda

There's a rather doom-ish post now on the IAH website: http://www.fly2houston.com/default.a...-20080913.html - it is dated yesterday and I believe was posted last night (as I didn't see it at 9 PM ET looking at the site).

It looks like there's a ton of damage to IAH. The people mover seems like a loss, and the tram seems to have taken major damage. "All" of the jet bridges are damaged with some majorly damaged. Terminal D has structural damage. And the fuel farm is not accessible until power is restored.
Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. Thinking about the structures we see regularly at IAH, I'm surprised they didn't mention "Gate B84 completely blown away to a different county".
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing I need to change my Tuesday itinerary. I'm scheduled to go to LBB via IAH, flying US to IAH and then CO IAH-LBB. But I probably can't change it yet because US is the ticketing airline and per their website they aren't changing tickets after today due to Ike.
Wow. Doesn't sound like resuming operations tomorrow is possible...
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
The "loss" (potential or real) of a major hub airport brings up "food for thought and discussion".

Given that another not far distant airport (after current cutbacks) may have available terminal space and gates (as in this case DFW does, while AUS would have been strained and potential briefly out of action itself), could CO have moved a cadre of support staff to DFW to operate some of the long hauls that ended up being cancelled (at great expense) giving pax booked on those flights the alternative of a resked or arriving at an airport from which other transport, air or ground, was going to be available.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PLT; CO Gold
Originally Posted by TexasWes
I'm scheduled to return on 72 tomorrow as well. It is still showing as on schedule - any chance it is going to go since IAH is supposed to be open on Monday?

I'm holding on the elite hotline right now - i just called and it only said that my wait is going to be 'greater than 30 minutes.'

--

ok, i was holding maybe 5 minutes... maybe I misheard.

The agent said that flight 72 is still on schedule for tomorrow.

---

Just tried to check in... made it almost all the way through the process until I reached a message saying check-in has been restricted to the gate.

Should be a fun experience tomorrow - no doubt there will be lots of happy travelers clamoring for seats. We currently have seats assigned - hopefully it stays that way.
A couple times I got that "30 minutes" message, but had a rep pick up pretty quickly. Most of the times I called I got a message saying "We are unable to answer your call right now. Please try again later." Other times I'd make it through the IVR, and get dumped to a busy signal.

I talked to another rep late last night, who said that going by their general directives, 72 on 9/14 was going to be cancelled but that the cancellation hadn't been processed yet. (To my uninformed perspective, this seems possible, but it also seems possible that the plane from CO 1 would still be in HNL from Saturday, and they might not be prevented from flying that into IAH by Monday.) I went ahead and changed our flight to CO 2 on Tuesday.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat

I am not sure that I would say that the terminal Link is a loss it is operating right now between C and E for sure that I know. I am not sure if its going to B or not right now due to I have been taking the underground everwhere I go. We should open tomorrow even if the terminal Link does not run due to that can do the bussed from C33-A and we have tricks up our sleeves. I am going to try to post pics on my flikr account depending on the cell network.

We do have one plane right now flight 1900 IAH-MKE a Astros charter so I guess you can say Houston does have one plane right now on the ground at IAH.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:29 am

Thanks again, coairtul. If CO and IAH can get things going to even half speed from the condition described on the IAH website by the morning, they deserve major kudos.

Still, I don't think I'm quite ready to assume RJ service into/out of Terminals (especially) A and B is going to be operating on Tuesday night...
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Geezus what an absolute charlie fox. I hope all of you guys get everything back to normal ASAP. Must suck to be a Houstonian right now.

I'll even suspend my usual bad feelings towards Texas for a while, and wish you all good luck and a speedy (post-storm) recovery. ^ :-:
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
How in the world is CO planning on resuming IAH hub operations tomorrow (Monday) with all that damage? How do they expect the hundreds, if not thousands, of people who work at the airport to get there? Passengers to get to and from the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.