Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Finally power is back on in Midtown. Now if we could just get Internet. I am bumming WiFi downtown. It was an amazing night. I am sure everyone has seen enough aftermath damage photos of downtown so I will not post any more. But if I can figure out how to upload to Youtube I got some video on the streets of downtown just after Midnight.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Originally Posted by DragonPhish
Finally power is back on for me in Midtown.
Fixed it for you, since your original statement is factually incorrect.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Cat 2/3

...and Ike was only a borderline Category 2/3 storm --imagine what the region will look like when a Category 5 storm hits.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:26 pm

Flew back into Houston this morning.....on time arrival from HNL. Departed for home on Express.....on time departure.

Despite the misery off the airport property, I was actually surprised at how well the airport was operating. Had I not known about the hurricane you would be hard pressed to know otherwise. Restaurants were all open, rampers in place, caterers, agents......shoe shine stands fully manned. I honestly did not see a single thing that looked a-kilter, although I'm sure there were some things not at 100%.

Kudos to the gate agents. Every single one I dealt with today worked their flights with smiles on their faces and had a great attitude.....and every single one I asked, reported they had no power at their house (along with all of the associated probs). Good to see the attitudes and smiles...... ^

My flight from HNL was staffed with 7 flight attendants who were all residents of Hawaii and stepped up to the plate to volunteer to work the flight in the absence of the IAH crewmembers who were all stuck back in Houston. ^

DRW
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
CO has fare sale out of IAH with no advance purchase. My parents are flying over to LAX to stay here for a few days. $250 roundtrip, X fare. Looks like they can still get upgraded on the 753.

4 days with no power is enough.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
CO has fare sale out of IAH with no advance purchase. My parents are flying over to LAX to stay here for a few days. $250 roundtrip, X fare. Looks like they can still get upgraded on the 753.

4 days with no power is enough.
X fare to PHL is $254.50 a/i RT.^ I may place my fiance on this fare.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
I just saw my neighbor , he was stuck in Argentina ( Not a bad place to be stuck ) , originally suppossed to fly back on CO sat night, but he had to be rebooked on DL Sunday as CO was not flying until monday night.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by doobierw
Flew back into Houston this morning.....on time arrival from HNL. Departed for home on Express.....on time departure.

Despite the misery off the airport property, I was actually surprised at how well the airport was operating. Had I not known about the hurricane you would be hard pressed to know otherwise. Restaurants were all open, rampers in place, caterers, agents......shoe shine stands fully manned. I honestly did not see a single thing that looked a-kilter, although I'm sure there were some things not at 100%.

Kudos to the gate agents. Every single one I dealt with today worked their flights with smiles on their faces and had a great attitude.....and every single one I asked, reported they had no power at their house (along with all of the associated probs). Good to see the attitudes and smiles...... ^

My flight from HNL was staffed with 7 flight attendants who were all residents of Hawaii and stepped up to the plate to volunteer to work the flight in the absence of the IAH crewmembers who were all stuck back in Houston. ^

DRW
Agreed on all fronts re ops in IAH. Everyone was very nice and thing seemed to be running very smoothly as I passed through this morning. Had I not known that there was a hurricane I probably wouldn't have figured it out. They still had some rooms open with cots in C term but everything else I saw looked pretty normal. I didn't venture over to A/B/D so I can't really speak for those terminals, but C and E looked none the worse for wear.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Originally Posted by photog72
Fixed it for you, since your original statement is factually incorrect.
Ouch! Sorry. I thought we were all back on here in Midtown. Hope you get power soon.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by DragonPhish
Ouch! Sorry. I thought we were all back on here in Midtown. Hope you get power soon.
NP. The whole block has power except for 4 townhouses. Probably one transformer that needs to be repaired/replaced.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:10 pm

The post that previously appeared in this space has been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 6:55 am
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I left Houston this morning....my apartment (Rice Military area) has no power and, consequently, no water. Apparently the apartment has to have power to get water to all the units. Luckily no real damage to the apartment or the surrounds, other than the loss of power.

Two or three blocks north of my apartment has full power and water...and it never went down during the storm.

Hope to return to Houston on Monday...we've been lucky in that the weather has been so cool lately, but living without water (and the amount of water left in the bathtub for flushing purposes was getting low) was becoming old fast.
you are exactly right, it gets hot/stinky very quickly. Hope you get power back soon after Wilma I had a month with no power in Florida, really eyeopening you can prepare for everything be all stocked up and ready to go, and yet still not expect such time for getting power!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:36 pm

Although most of the 737s and 763s were ferried back to IAH from ELP on Sunday night, to my pleasant suprise, I saw a 767 parked at gate B9 getting prepped for return.

I took a picture of it on my phone's camera and I can tell you that seeing at passenger 767 parked at the terminal is something that is rarely seen at ELP nowadays.

Just out of curiosity, I am not sure if it was a 763 or 764 that was parked at the gate. The aircraft's tail number was N76153.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
N76153 is a 767-200.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by alcathiax
I am not sure if it was a 763 or 764 that was parked at the gate. The aircraft's tail number was N76153.
It's a 762 (ship number 151 and up). CO doesn't have 763, only 762 and 764 (ship number 051 and up).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.