Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
CO92 and CO52 from GRU and EZE were both canceled Sunday night. So is CO591 from Lima.

CO2 from HNL is inflight & all of the red-eyes from west coast are on-schedule.

A 772 (ship #6) is flying back from NRT as CO1940 right now, arriving at IAH just after 7am. This means a much earlier departure than the usual CO6 at NRT. This way, there will be a 772 to turn around and operate as CO7 to NRT on Monday.

The regular CO6 (ship #12) will fly back from NRT as schedule. They had two 772s stranded at NRT as they operated CO7 last Friday morning IAH-NRT, but CO6 NRT-IAH didn't operate that day.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:18 am

I just dispatched CO1743 (the red-eye) SFO-IAH this morning. It went out with one less FA than required due to the FAA emergency ok. Although the flight was booked full, we upgraded 6 into FCLass, got on the 6 rev-stbys and 6 non-rev stbys and still had some open seats.

Even CO1829 (the red-eye) to SFO- EWR went out with a few open seats.

A very different Sunday night for us.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:16 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by primedude
Well, looks like reservations may have led me astray last night -- CO 2 and 72 and still showing as on-time this afternoon. Oh well, my office is still closed, I don't know if I have power back home, I'm enjoying another couple days in Hawaii with my wife, and I have a confirmed ticket out on Tuesday. Works for me.

sounds like your Hawaiian vacation is coming to an end - I know CO 2 left Honolulu Sunday night.

Why don't you see if you can get on CO 2 or CO 72 Monday night, and arrive into Houston n Tuesday morning?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Most mainline flight are indeed operating. Thanks for all the hardwork of all the city and CO employees. I think that's pretty impressive.

We're hearing much less about HOU. I wonder if the damage is more massive there, or if it's just the Houston authorities' focus being restarting IAH. WN suspended all flights by Friday morning and will only fly a limited schedule starting tomorrow and Wednesday.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
All the CO people I dealt with yesterday and early this morning were great. ^ There was an almost 4 hour delay (at PDX) while we waited for a crew to fly us to EWR. The gate agents kept people appraised of the situation. Then, during boarding, they individually thanked each and every passenger for being so patient. The pilot, too, thanked everyone.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by xyzzy
All the CO people I dealt with yesterday and early this morning were great. ^ There was an almost 4 hour delay (at PDX) while we waited for a crew to fly us to EWR. The gate agents kept people appraised of the situation. Then, during boarding, they individually thanked each and every passenger for being so patient. The pilot, too, thanked everyone.
Im glad you had a good experience , there are other FT'ers who were not so lucky .
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by rolov
Im glad you had a good experience , there are other FT'ers who were not so lucky .
It was not pleasant, but it was as good as it could have been given the circumstances. The only complaint I heard was from the woman sitting next to me. She complained that, "The news should have warned us..." about delays, etc. that affected non IAH flights I pointed out to her that when the PDX gate agents called HQ regarding the delayed crew they were told that they were lucky that our flight had a crew. There was no pleasing this woman.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I pointed out to her that when the PDX gate agents called HQ regarding the delayed crew they were told that they were lucky that our flight had a crew.
That is very, very true.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
I can say that I had a good experience with CO and needing to change a flight. Sometimes it takes geting the right person. I am in the service business and I do find at times that you will hire some people that just dont care. All you can do is try to weed them out.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Scott6067
I can say that I had a good experience with CO and needing to change a flight. Sometimes it takes geting the right person. I am in the service business and I do find at times that you will hire some people that just dont care. All you can do is try to weed them out.

It's one thing to change from one CO flight to another. It's a completely different situation if you're on a flight that's been canceled due to Ike and the fallout it has caused all over the CO system, and CO doesn't have seats on its own flights for several days to offer you. Then you're SOL unless you just take matters into your own hands and rebook yourself elsewhere, which will probably mean shelling out a lot of cash.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Just an update...

I am okay, although it is Tuesday morning and I still have no power, sewage, Internet (!!), water, or anything. I evac’d to Corpus Christi yesterday after trying to wait it out for a few days, but there is no gas, no ice, no stores open, so me and my friends were forced to leave the area. I live on the Western side of downtown, and conditions there are absolutely miserable and becoming unsanitary very fast. Once they get the power back on, that will take care of a few problems (and thank goodness we had a cool front move through yesterday morning…I actually got some sleep last night for the first time since Thursday…but Houston is uninhabitable right now.

I’m okay, though…but I shudder when I finally saw the photos from Galveston…there are people way worse off then I. Keep them in your thoughts, folks....
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by theblakefish
I’m okay, though…but I shudder when I finally saw the photos from Galveston…there are people way worse off then I. Keep them in your thoughts, folks....
My flight MSY-IAH yesterday came in over Bolivar Peninsula. There is nothing left there except for grooves in the earth where debris scoured the peninsula. Nothing. Unspeakably sad.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:21 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
I made it back in last night. Grandmother said she lost power early Saturday morning but it was back later that evening. The internet/phones/tv came back with the power. Our home suffered minor roof damage (some shingles blew off) and there's still derbies on the roads. UH resumed classes today however they're optional for the remainder of the week and I'm currently at the Dairy Ashford Becks Prime looking at a long line for the Exxon station on the corner.

Living in Katy has it's downsides but I think we luckily escaped the worst of Ike.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I made it back in last night. Grandmother said she lost power early Saturday morning but it was back later that evening. The internet/phones/tv came back with the power. Our home suffered minor roof damage (some shingles blew off) and there's still derbies on the roads. UH resumed classes today however they're optional for the remainder of the week and I'm currently at the Dairy Ashford Becks Prime looking at a long line for the Exxon station on the corner.

Living in Katy has it's downsides but I think we luckily escaped the worst of Ike.
The North side near where I live got slammed pretty hard. We got the western edge of the eye-wall. I'm pretty sure a tornado must have been in the area, as the number of downed and tossed trees (not just limbs) in the area is spectacular. At Ella and 1960, there's a new-build shopping center with a caved-in masonry wall along the back-half of one of the buildings. I also noticed a billboard on Kuykendahl that had its top (the entire metal frame) sheared off. It crashed to the ground and landed next to a building.

We have a huge oak in the back yard that, for lack of a better term, exploded. The top of the tree is inverted, and now covers the remnants of a stump. A good chunk of the center of the tree appears to have exploded into telephone-pole diameter fragments, and litters the immediate vicinity. Large oak next to my window is completely uprooted, and thankfully fell away from the house. Unfortunately, another oak decided to fall on the house, causing some roof damage.

Still, much better off than those in Galveston/Clear Lake/Texas City/etc. I wish them a speedy recovery.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
My flight MSY-IAH yesterday came in over Bolivar Peninsula. There is nothing left there except for grooves in the earth where debris scoured the peninsula. Nothing. Unspeakably sad.
I saw pictures last night for the first time from Bolivar and was shocked. I've heard reports that some of the west end of Galveston Island is just as bad.

I'm flying MSY-IAH on Friday morning and have a window seat. I'm hoping it will be clear so I can get a view of the area as we fly over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.