FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/864005-hurricane-ike-co-iah-ops-doom-gloom-thread.html)

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Sep 8, 2008 12:37 pm

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Edited -

Stay Safe, Fellow IAHers. This looks like it could be a bad one.

sdm1130 Sep 8, 2008 12:38 pm

I've been waiting for this thread to show up... :p

I predict every single flight in/out of IAH (and all other airports within a 500-mile radius) will be canceled starting tomorrow.

Hartmann Sep 8, 2008 12:39 pm

If it actually gets back up to a Category 4 storm I may start to prepare....

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Sep 8, 2008 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann (Post 10332699)
If it actually gets back up to a Category 4 storm I may start to prepare....

My looting preparedness kit is ready.

belynch Sep 8, 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter (Post 10332705)
My looting preparedness kit is ready.

Are you preparing to loot? Or fight off the looters? Or is it a dual-purpose kit? (e.g. crowbar).

Did you loot your looting preparedness kit?

If Ike demolishes IAH will the airport be renamed the Dwight D. Eisenhower International Airport?

J.Edward Sep 8, 2008 1:06 pm

The Sky! The Sky is falling!

Oh no wait, that's the Skyy in my tumbler is falling down ye' old throat.

UH has already sent out two emails within the last three hours.

Oh well, best to be prepared I guess.

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Sep 8, 2008 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 10332846)
Are you preparing to loot? Or fight off the looters? Or is it a dual-purpose kit? (e.g. crowbar).

I hesitate to articulate...

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 10332846)
If Ike demolishes IAH will the airport be renamed the Dwight D. Eisenhower International Airport?

If George H.W. Bush Intercontinental Airport is destroyed by a massive Hurricane, should they rename the rebuilt terminal after W., Chertoff, or Brownie?

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 10332855)
UH has already sent out two emails within the last three hours.

My work has been mum on the entire issue, my school likewise. My school is awesome at disaster preparedness. They'll likely send out an email stating: "classes may be delayed" a few hours after Ike rolls ashore as a Cat. 4, assuming the building still exists. :rolleyes:

Bonehead Sep 8, 2008 1:11 pm

Anybody notice that as of several days ago Ike's "cone of uncertainty" did not include its present position?

I think Ike is going to hit Brazil.

uncertaintraveler Sep 8, 2008 1:17 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Sep 8, 2008 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 10332889)
Anybody notice that as of several days ago Ike's "cone of uncertainty" did not include its present position?

I think Ike is going to hit Brazil.

I didn't pay enough attention back in the day when we were being taught probability theory in math class. However, I find it a bit odd that the Cone of Idiocy didn't even have Houston in the mix a few days ago, but now has it dead-center. The same thing happened with Gustav. Cone of Idiocy initially showed a Florida (non-Panhandle strike), then they just widened it to include everything between Pensacola and Corpus Christi.

CO 1E Sep 8, 2008 1:23 pm

It really sucks that I will have to reschedule my already-EUA'd flights through IAH on Friday.

coairtul Sep 8, 2008 1:42 pm

You guys crack me up.. :) Like eveyone is saying its way to early to tell but I find the tracking models interesting. Models updated daily

Wilco_FT Sep 8, 2008 1:43 pm

The Sky(Team Alliance) is failing?

snake Sep 8, 2008 1:49 pm

I you look at the projected paths for Ike and Pacific tropical storm Lowell it looks like they're gonna converge on Lubbock Texas! :eek:

TMOliver Sep 8, 2008 1:56 pm

Seeking advice and counsel to maximize the value of a ACT/IAH/LCH non-refundable RT DPT Wednesday PM/RTN Friday PM.

I could simply cancel now and lose a big change fee...$175??

I could wait until Wednesday afternoon and hope that one of the two legs ACT/IAH or IAH/LCH was CNXed and maybe get a full refund or full value voucher.

I could go, risk being stranded (days until the next flight, and them already fully booked), and get very windblown and wet hitchhiking home in the midst or on the edge of a big blow.

Unfortunately, I can't get Mother nature to send the storm ashore quickly enough to get the Wednesday flights CNXed

Your incomparable experience and wise counsel sought.....