Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Originally Posted by skydiva44
KK...I live in the 1960 area, we also still have power, but it has flickered a couple of times already. We have a make-shift sleeping area in the den on the floor. Hubby wants to sleep in bed and I said No, I have 4 dogs to get to a closet if need be..Be safe....
Downtown, and still have power.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: nada
Sorry, but no reports from downtown area anymore tonight--I just boarded up my last window (only have 2, and did them both from the inside), so I can no longer see outside. As of a few minutes ago though--strong winds, no rain. it sounds like there is some rain now. And, as of an hour ago, there were STILL PEOPLE ATTEMPTING TO GO THROUGH THE DRIVE THROUGH AT THE MCDONALDS that my apt overlooks.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by DragonPhish
Downtown, and still have power.
Ditto, from 45N and I-10/Houston Ave/North Main.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Stay safe everyone down in the IAH area..
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Originally Posted by crnk
...STILL PEOPLE ATTEMPTING TO GO THROUGH THE DRIVE THROUGH AT THE MCDONALDS that my apt overlooks.
That is crazy! That McDonalds is disgusting.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
Originally Posted by DragonPhish
That is crazy! That McDonalds is disgusting.

McDonald's is still open?

I saw the video of Geraldo getting knocked over...it's pretty funny. I wish FOX would get rid of him; his vocabulary doesn't flow well - he tries too hard to be poetic and to use big words.

I'm in IND right now. Before Rita I had to fly to TVC for business, and then down to MIA to drive to Key West. Flying away is easy.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by tex1899
McDonald's is still open?
no, they closed before 2 or 3 today.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
Website to check out if you still have power...

Friend in Houston mentioned this website to me...

http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/

This is an interesting website.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum Premier; HH Diamond; Hertz President's Circle; Avis PS; AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Scott6067

Very interesting, Scott. Thanks for sharing.

Things are quiet in Austin right now, but we're expecting Ike shortly. Y'all be safe in Houston, Galveston, and Beaumont.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Scott6067

Yes, good info. The path and strength is very similar to Alicia in 1983. I was in Houston that year, so I know what it was like.

For our zip code, estimated maximum sustained wind is 77MPH; it was 76MPH for Alicia.

That year, lots of damage in Galveston and along the coast, of course. And lots of windows in downtown buildings get blown out, in particular the Allied Bank Plaza (now Wells Fargo Plaza). No power for our area for at least 2 days, I believe.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:11 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
My fiance lost power at 251am CDT. She lives in Midtown. I was on the phone w/ her, and then... silence. She called me back from her cell phone to let me know she was okay. I told her that we should hang up and conserve her battery power on the cell. She'll call me if she needs to talk. I am going to try and sleep. It's tough, since she's all alone and 7 months pregnant.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by photog72
My fiance lost power at 251am CDT. She lives in Midtown. I was on the phone w/ her, and then... silence. She called me back from her cell phone to let me know she was okay. I told her that we should hang up and conserve her battery power on the cell. She'll call me if she needs to talk. I am going to try and sleep. It's tough, since she's all alone and 7 months pregnant.
Yes. I told my mom to find the old-school phone we have in the house that doesn't require electricity or anything. That's the most reliable. Cellphones need to be charged and the last two days, calls didn't always get through as the network was very busy.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Yes. I told my mom to find the old-school phone we have in the house that doesn't require electricity or anything. That's the most reliable. Cellphones need to be charged and the last two days, calls didn't always get through as the network was very busy.
aaah the good ol corded phone, i dont think i have seen one in my house in the last 8 years.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 4:15 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat
Airport Status: Well its 5AM and we are getting 90mph winds according to our computers and the airport lost power for a brief moment. Ike decided to give all the employees and TSA a good old wake up call in the form of the Fire alarms are now stuck ON!!!!!! (NEED SLEEP) LOL... North presidents club floor is constantley wobbling and the windows are bowing but holding. As far as terminal B, C and E no info thus far.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 4:51 am

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ash_ak
aaah the good ol corded phone, i dont think i have seen one in my house in the last 8 years.
Always keep a corded phone in a closet for blackouts. Usually those types of phones still work as the phone lines are different system than power. But, of course, there's always a chance that phone lines could be blown down too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.